Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

One week out of the year I need beach wheels on the SC coast near Georgetown. I know the Cat Trax are worth their cost - I just cant bring myself to lay out the $450 for once maybe twice a year.

Does any one have a temporary solution? Dont need a durable solution. I have an 18 that will need to be moved daily from behind the dunes (away from potential turtle nesting grounds) through a path onto the beach - about 30 - 40 yds. We will have some man power there so ideas that involve carrying the boat are ok as well.

Thank You!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sailinagin wrote:
.............................. I have an 18 that will need to be moved daily from behind the dunes (away from potential turtle nesting grounds) through a path onto the beach - about 30 - 40 yds. We will have some man power there so ideas that involve carrying the boat are ok as well.

Thank You!

Every day !! I'm sure that you'll run out of manpower very soon. Buy the Cattrax.

Having said that, there are some inflatable rollers intended for dinghies that I'll try out, for use on long distance trips.

In Polynesia I pulled my kayak over two islands (because of bad weather) using to plasticbouys with a piece of rope between them.

Or you could roll it on boat fenders

I'd Rather Regret The Things I Did, Than The Things I Didn't

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think you could build something like a cattrax for about $100, using wheel barrow wheels, some threaded rod, 2x4s and some other basic hardware.

All of which you should be able to pic up at the local hardware store.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it's fairly flat and smooth, get 4 or 5 PVC pipes (maybe 3" or 4" diameter) and lay them a few feet apart in front of the boat. You can roll or slide the boat on those, picking up the back one as you clear it and putting it in front.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the suggestions, one thing is that 60% of the distance is sugar sand. The manpower I have will be several 19 - 20 guys. So carrying the boat may be the way. We only need to carry out in the AM and back in the PM.

Any good ways for 4 - 6 people to carry an 18 mast up?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

What we used to do is to put the sails on and use the wind to help us move the cat up the dunes. Works like a charm, but don't let it go!

good luck

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

drag it on the sand

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gary eudy wrote:
drag it on the sand

+1

Back in the days before beach wheels, that's how boats were moved. The 18 is a beach boat and can be dragged across the sand. With 6 guys, it should be no problem.

The other option would be to lift it by the hull flange, but that can be hard on the fingers. Or you could carry it on your shoulders, but I wouldn't want to do that with the mast up, too much swing weight.

sm

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First, make sure your route is clear of overhead wires. Anytime I hear about moving a boat long distance over land, I think, "where are the overhead wires?". Too many have died this way. Don't think it is a silly question, people have died at regattas where there were signs and verbal warnings.

Next, buy a 55 gallon plastic drum, cut holes in the top and bottom for a pipe (reinforce with plywood?), cover the pipe with carpet and attach lines to the ends. Cheap beach "wheels".

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

1) sit in circle around boat
2) cross legs meditation style
3) Picture in your mind where you want your boat to be
4) PROJECT that image: Uh-uuu-mmmmmmmm
5) done!

:D :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drag?

I feel nauseous. I don't let my boat touch anything more course than grass.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl Brogger wrote:
Drag?

Your boat also isn't a Hobie 18...

OK, if the OP is one of the few people that got a brand new set of hulls, or just has a real cherry boat, then yea, don't drag it. But if he's got an average condition boat and is ok with a little wear on the bottoms, then just drag the darn thing and be done with it. Six 20 year old dudes can push an 18 across 50 yards of beach without breaking a sweat. Do a bottom job every 5 years if necessary.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

(Reposted from H18 thread)

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Last year I was able to rent ($50) for the week a set of wheels for this annual trip and I know how great they are. I dont think they are available anymore.

We will have up to 6 very willing (younger than me) guys each day to help carry so I am going to look at these ideas.

One idea I am considering as well are drywall carriers. These have a handle and a lip that would fit right under the deck lip and are very sturdy. Put one in each hand of the six guys and have at it.

Here is a pic of one- They can be found for about $7 ea.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/pop-print/ ... odNo=34319

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
Karl Brogger wrote:
Drag?

Your boat also isn't a Hobie 18...

OK, if the OP is one of the few people that got a brand new set of hulls, or just has a real cherry boat, then yea, don't drag it. But if he's got an average condition boat and is ok with a little wear on the bottoms, then just drag the darn thing and be done with it. Six 20 year old dudes can push an 18 across 50 yards of beach without breaking a sweat. Do a bottom job every 5 years if necessary.

sm

If I had a H18 I'd still use a set of cat-trax. I'm careful with my boat because I don't like create more work than necessary.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl Brogger wrote:
I don't like create more work than necessary.
raised hand...I'm really good at that, especially when it comes to something like refinishing hulls, sometimes I create more work than I get done !

If you've got 20 year olds, and six of them, no need for anything but hands and a$$ Averages ~ 70 pounds each, no problem.
The mast weighs 60 pounds by it self, I'm sure you wouldn't think twice about carrying it 150 feet by yourself.