Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello Everyone!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! I like what you all have here and I was hoping I could get some solid input from a few experienced catamaran sailors.

My name is Jake, I'm 25, and I'm active duty military. I'll get straight down to brass tacks and say that I have experience in nearly every aspect of watercraft except for those that harness the wind. I have more hours in a canoe/kayak than I care to count and plenty of time spent doing powered water sports from taking 15 people on a large pontoon down a river to jet skis (sit/stand) and jet boats.

Something about the clean quiet cruise of those graced with the wind draws me in. Not to mention the rush I'm sure you feel pushing you catamaran to the limits.

I spoke to a close work friend of mine who grew up sailing dinghies and a Hobie 16 who just bought and now lives on a 30' Sloop. He swears by the Hobie 16 and this leads me to you.

After some reading I have come to the conclusion that the Hobie 16 would be the ideal craft for my needs. My wife will likely not join me on all of my outings so I want something that I could pilot myself if needed but still large enough to hold, at a maximum, 3 people and, lets be honest, is big enough to make my wife comfortable. As far as me I am 6'3" and 215lbs (98kg) and fit. From what I understand I would be able to right an overturned vessel alone, but at the very least easily with righting aids.

Right now I am in prime sailing country close to VA beach but I will be moving to LA about 100 miles from the gulf in a few short weeks. The way I see it more season to sail but farther to travel. I have found a local yacht club In my new home city and they offer an ASA sailing class that I plan to take before I make my final purchase.

Right now I am looking for a 16 in the 800-1200 dollar range which I understand will get me a decent mid 80's 16. That budget will leave me with about 400 for upgrades depending on the deal I get.

Thanks a ton for reading my wall of text and I would appreciate any inputs you have for me!

Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try a water bag look at the various hobie parts catalogs or find a local HC dealer . Never have used one but the look pretty fool proof and you are pretty near the tipping weight anyway HAVE FUN
Former Hobie Admiral Gary :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alkatraz (Jake)- Thank you for your service to our country.
First of all these sailboats don't capsize. We take risks; we screw up; we sometimes use poor judgement. I'm 155 lbs. and have used a righting bag twice while righting our H16 when sailing solo. My wife is 121 lbs. and we have no problems righting our boat with just a righting line.. We seldom capsize, but we're always prepared.
A Hobie 16 would work for you, but I believe a Hobie 18 with wings would be better for you - Your weight, youth and fitness; occasionally three people; your wife and her comfort.....
A Hobie Getaway should work well for you also, but it's plastic and slower and I just know you want to go REALLY FAST.
Your selection will probably come down to price and what's available near the Yacht Club in Louisiana.
We wish you and your wife all the best!
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Richard you know me all to well of course I want to go fast. I will look a little closer at the 18 with wings and make an informed decision. I'm not in any terrible rush so I will have plenty of time to shop around.

Thanks for the welcome from both of you and especially for the advice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jake - thank you for your service, and welcome aboard.

You are on the right path and the 16 is a great option. Great boat to learn on, grow with, singlehand - everything.

Do lots of looking before you plunk down. Watch out for soft spots (do a search on here or you tube for what to watch out for).

When you find something that you think fits the bill, take a bunch of pics for us and post a good description and you will get plenty of replies and advice here.

JDM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jdm wrote:
When you find something that you think fits the bill, take a bunch of pics for us and post a good description and you will get plenty of replies and advice here.

Excellent! I wasn't sure what the etiquette on the forum was on the "what do you think of/how is the price/is this a good deal" type of threads. I am more than willing to take a few pictures as well as a first hand look to ask the right questions.

The only part I am concerned with knowing quality/condition is accessories and sails. I feel I can be a good judge of hull integrity and condition but not at knowing what type and condition the accessories and rigging are in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alkatraz wrote:
I will be moving to LA about 100 miles from the gulf in a few short weeks.

Thank you for your service, Jake!

What part of LA? Perhaps we can put you on some boats (and people to help) that aren't too far away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Jake - a lot of serious sellers are game to set up and rig the boat with you as a condition of sale. That way you can not only see how but also see what's included and the shape the parts are in.

Also, depending on the age/condition of the boat/parts, there are a lot of items you'll want to replace as a matter of routine. The search function on this forum is a good friend and you'll find a ton of advice on buying and repairing. Interpreting some of the advice may be another story so feel free to ask! :P

and +1 on thanks for your service. What branch?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rattle 'n hum wrote:
What part of LA?

I'm actually headed to Shreveport LA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alkatraz wrote:
rattle 'n hum wrote:
What part of LA?

I'm actually headed to Shreveport LA

Check your PMs!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First off I want to say thanks to everyone for the encouragement and tips. Special thanks to those who pm'ed with some excellent information.

Can anyone recommend any decent literature geared towards small catamaran or even Hobie specific sailing? Or any good sailing literature for that matter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Catamaran Sailing: From Start to Finish by Phil Berman
Catamaran Racing From Start To Finish by Phil Berman
Hobie U and tuning guide PDFs: http://www.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=1686

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Jake - a lot of serious sellers are game to set up and rig the boat with you as a condition of sale.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jake, take a look at http://www.catsailor.com/ for more forums. Rick White's videos series on racing a cat, http://www.catsailor.com/store/pc/viewP ... tegory=178, are from his catamaran sailing seminars are extremely valuable even if you don't plan on racing.

Once you get the fundamentals down, do consider participating in a regatta. They are a great way to meet and make friends with fellow sailor. You'll also learn more about how to make your boat go faster just by sailing alongside (or behind!) others.

I'm a bit biased, but I LOVE my Hobie Getaway. I sailed a Hobie 16 for years but once my wife and family tried out a Getaway there was no other choice for ease of setup, tons of space on the boat for everyone, and it goes pretty darn fast with just me on board. True, it won't sail as close to the wind as any other Hobie model, but on a reach it will easily hit 18 knots in 15-18 knots of wind.

Good luck and smooth sailing!

'05 Wave