Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newb here from Michigan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at buying a sailboat and would like some advice. I have a place on a 6500 acre lake and the wind is pretty consistent. I would like to be able to sail with my wife and maybe a few others. So, I was hoping to get some ideas as to where to start with buying the right sailboat. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What part of the state are you in? My first recommendation would be to contact your nearest Hobie dealer to see if they have any used boats for sale or on consignment. I know that Sail Sport Marine in Traverse City often has used boats available and they'll be in immediately sailable condition.

Next would be to start searching craigslist. Some good boats can be found in the state - there are a lot of 70's/80's era Hobies around - but it takes persistence, as good deals seem to go quickly, and the majority of boats need quite a bit of TLC. Asking prices will be all over the place, and sometimes it's just junk being listed.

In terms of what boat to choose, I love the H18 for the 5000 acre lake that I sail on. It's been a big improvement on our family's old H16, particularly on bigger wind/wave days, and has capacity for more than two w/o becoming too sluggish. It might also be worth you looking for a Getaway as well. There are a lot of "what boat" type topics on this board, so search those for the varying opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for an H18!

It's the best all around model to get started on. You can put several full size adults on it. It's forgiving, It's easier to depower if the wind builds and It's built like a tank. You can sail it Mild or Wild then park it on the beach without putting cushions under it! It's the best all around intro boat.

Plus learn on an inexpensive 18 then decide if you want to move up to a higher performance model.
Cork Guy H18, H18, H18 currently being resurrected

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no experience on the 18 although I would like to sail one one day. I currently have a Getaway, the learning curve is short, lots of buoyancy for a bunch of people, really comfortable seats that you can use as a backrest, has a nice tramp at the front for the kids to sit on, no centerboards to fool with, no delicate fiberglass hulls to work about, and no boom to hit friends on the head. Sure its a little slower, but it think its a great choice. You can always add a spinnaker kit later for more performance if you want.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree, an 18 or a Getaway depending on your wants. I have owned a 14, 16, 17 and a getaway. The fastest of these was the 17, but it didn't have much buoyancy and really only could support two adults.

The 18 and the 17 are similar designed, the 18 being larger and more buoyant.

The getaway is the best for large groups and families.