Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a rookie with a 1982 H16, and struggling with launching from a trailer from the West shore of the lake with a SW wind.

This weekend, we tried to take off from a semi-steep, semi-rocky West shore, with a 10-15mph SW breeze.

We raised the mast, intalled the rudders, and backed the trailer to the waters edge. Before leaving the trailer, I rigged but did not raise the jib, loosely wrapping a line around the jib sail to keep it from flopping down between the bows.

We put the boat in the water, and pointed the bows into the wind. My wife was waist deep at the bows, holding the bridle. I fastened the main halyard to the head of the mainsail, with the foot in the boom, but did not attach the boom gooseneck to the mast. I didn't have the mainsheet blocks attached to the boom yet. I raised the jib, lloosely sheeted, while still pointed into the wind. Mistake?

Unfortunately with the waves, wake, and wind, my wife was soon neck deep, and then over her head. I guess now, we should have had her at the stern in shallower water, trying to hold the boat into the wind, but I'm not sure she could have held it. We were now out of control.

Deciding it was time to pull her onboard, I let go of the main halyard, without cleating it to the mast. Whoops! Pulled her onboard, looked for the main halyard, and of course it had slipped off the upper mast pulley and was in the water... no way the main was going up.

We also found that blasted Aussie halyard semi-tangled at the mast tang. So we had no main, a jib that didn't want to go up or down. All in all - pretty ugly. Choosing to either be blown onto the rocks, or try sailing with the jib, we soon found ourselves headed out. It took quite some time to tack and sail it back to the shore.

My questions:
1) Under these conditions, what did I do wrong, (besides most everything?)
2) When do you raise the main? If the wind is offshore, do you ever raise the main before putting the boat into the water? I can't imagine getting that main halyard bushing clipped under the upper mast tang, while the boat is in the water, particulary if pointed out to the lake on a steep bank???
3) When do you attach boom gooseneck to the mast? Before or after raising? Mainsheet blocks?
4) Which goes up first jib or main?

Sorry for such rookie questions ~ I hope I am making this all much more difficult than it needs to be! Your help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I guess the best solution would have been do drive another 15 miles and launced from the Eastern shore of the lake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:06 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Bottom line - the sails need to be up before the boat goes into the water.

You need a set of beach wheels. Rig the boat with it pointed into the wind. Roll it down to the water on the beach wheels (still more-or-less pointed into the wind). Have your wife hold the boat by the bridle in the water while you take the wheels out and put them on shore. Hop on and go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The main goes up first. Then slide the gooseneck down. Then raise the jib. Hang in there...you'll get it. The ride is worth the temporary anxiety!