Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: boom vang?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So, I know theres a few posts on this already, but I couldnt find the one I was looking for, so I'm just making a new one.

Basically, I've read about people saying boom vangs are useless. Why is that? Is this just for cats? Because from my experience with dinghys (Vanguards and other small craft) they are very important in eliminating (twist, right?) As you can see, I dont quite remember the whole physics/ purpose of them, but I do recall sailors adamantly saying they were unnecessary.

So someone please settle this for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:27 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
There is not a need for one on Hobies, the factory even stopped adding the attachment point on the boom. I'm not sure why, just know we don't use them.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: Vang
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The way I see it is that the traveller is so wide that the shape can be controlled very well by traveller position and mainsheet.

Hobie 16 Sail #5213
Hobie 20 Sail # 530

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Boom vang are used on monohulls to keep the boom from rising too high when the boat goes downwind and the mainsheet is paid out. Without a boom vang, the wind can balloon the sail, raising the boom and getting the sail out of shape and inefficient.

Catamarans, especially small beach cats, sail so fast that even when going on a broad reach you need to sheet in. This is because the combination of the true wind behind you and your speed (wind from the front) create an apparent wind which is often perpendicular to the boat, or even coming at an angle of less than 90 degrees.

So, essentially, when there is a lot of wind, which is when a boom vang is useful on a monull, you'll be going so fast that you'll need to sheet in. When you do so, your main sheet pulls the main toward the center of the boat and also downward, taking the role of the boom vang.

Hope my explanation are not too confusing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

so what if im sailing in some lakes and reservoirs that dont always have such high winds constantly, and can be very puffy instead? then would a boom vang be useful? I still dont really want one, because it reduces overhead clearance in the front of the tramp, something which us 6'3" kids need, but im just curious as to why not have one for light wind situations if it can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

On a beach cat, I wouldn't add one.

It's useful mainly in strong winds.

Light winds are not enough to lift the boom and get the main twisted.

So spare yourself the bother, and sail without one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

worldinchaos wrote:
so what if im sailing in some lakes and reservoirs that dont always have such high winds constantly, and can be very puffy instead? then would a boom vang be useful? I still dont really want one, because it reduces overhead clearance in the front of the tramp, something which us 6'3" kids need, but im just curious as to why not have one for light wind situations if it can help.

When you're in conditions that would require a vang on a dinghy try thinking about what you're achieving with the various controls.

eg. The Vang on you dinghy is controlling vertical boom angle. This is achieved on your cat with the main sheet.

In "Vang on" conditions in your dinghy the main sheet is controlling the horizontal angle of the boom (angle of attack). This can be achieved on you cat by playing the traveller.

Dinghies are not able to work this way because the traveller base (if it exists at all) is too narrow.

So having given the long answer to your question the short answer is a Vang isn't needed as we can replicate the same results using the equipment that has become standard on beach cats you just need to decide given the conditions whether you are better off playing the sheet or the Traveller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you using this on a 14? The boom vang is a very useful tool. Mine is made of bungie cord and attaches to the space where the tramp slides into the main beam on the leeward side with a small hook. The term vang should not be misinterpreted with the monoslug vang. They do 2 different things. On a H16, no vang is necessary but could come in handy in very light air. On a cat, it just holds the sail out when there is not enough wind pushing the sail on it's own.

Bob :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Technically, a boom vang definition is that of a device to pull the boom downward. In most instances, this is done by rigging the device between the boom and the bottom of the mast, or a point on the deck close to the bottom of the mast.

The use of the bungie cord to pull the main toward "the space where the tramp slides into the main beam on the leeward side", as Bob describes it, is more akin to the description of a preventer (even though in this case the purpose is more to pull the main out than prevent it from moving violently in). There may be a specialized term for this use of the preventer (I've used preventers as a means to keep the main out many times even when there was little risk of it violently jibing), but I can't remember it at this time.

Still the static fore-aft control of the boom is more preventer-like, than vang like. But then again, I may be splitting hairs, and I only have a few left...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you really want one... I have one that came with my '82 H16..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you still have that boom vang (1 year later I know). How does it attach? I may be interested in taking it off your hands if you don't want it. either way, thanks.

Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Peter, After first purchasing my boat, I went through what most new sailors go through (and I'm still a new sailor) by going through the process of making mistakes until I get it at least partially right. When I first started learning my boat and how it was designed, I tried things that I thought would aid in it's performance. The boom vang sounded like a good idea even though my boat (H16) was not set up in any way to accommodate this apparatus. So, I created everything I needed and added one.

I can't say that it didn't have any benifits under certain conditions (2%)but what I can say is " it's more trouble than it's worth. If you were to ask my opinion, I'd have to say"don't waste your time." This photo was taken last year and needless to say, "it's no longer a part of my boat's rigging."

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ah ha!

I've thought many times about bringing that "apparatus" to a regatta for identification. It came with one boat (must have been a 14) in a box of stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, it seems that most people who have tried them don't like them, but the few that do like them a lot, and so I would like to give it a try. If anyone has a boom vang that they want to get rid of, please let me know and maybe I could take it off their hands. thanks. :)

(I know I am stubborn, but I have to try it for myself)

Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gratchen,

what is your email address :?: