Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sail
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So this is kind of an odd question, but my fiance and I are getting married next year and I have been trying to think of a creative way to incorporate our love of sailing hobies into our wedding. I was thinking of making our guestbook be a hobie sail that people can sign and than we can hang it in our house, but I am having difficulty finding a sail that is "small" enough to hang on a wall (the smallest hobie I have sailed is a 14 and even that sail is a bit big). Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe a different idea on what we could use instead of a sail?

Thanks for your time and help! :D

Post subject: Re: Sail
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

14 turbo jib?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any reason you cannot cut a down and use just one or two panels? Maybe one panel from a trampoline?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LovesNumbers:
Here is an idea, you can take the guestbook and lay it out 'along with pics' onto a large format (in photoshop). Then get it printed on a large format plotter (actually not very expensive), If you don't mind it being paper and just cut to look like a sail, that would be fine.
Alternately if you want a real cloth sail printed (along with some realistic looking hardware, (ie.. something that could actually work)), take the the master photoshop art to a printer that does ink sublimination/transfer. They can sublimate your master art directly onto the cloth (like a heat transfer process, they can easily do 200dpi full color these days (no size limitation, 100ft across if you need it)), you can then cut and sew up the fabric to look like a real sail to hang on the wall (any sailshop can do that for you). Actually if you do the master art part (with their guidance, it isn't too expensive at all).
If it were me I would have two made, one for the wall , then a real sail to put on her boat (might be cheezy after a while though, once the newness wears off LOL).
If your seriously planning this make sure you wedding photographer is on board so he can take all the caption pics, and can likely put it all together for you in photoshop (for a fee of course, unless he's your brother in law or something, then, it will cost you a few beers LOL).

Wish I had thought of it.
Good luck
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe a sail maker can cut & stitch one for you to your specifications. Call SLO Sails and see. There are a couple other sail makers mentioned in these forums.

You can also order the actual sail decals:

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... gory_Code=

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... _Code=C-HF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It would be nice if sailing would be the theme of your event. You can have a coordinator to fix everything or you can make your own decorations that can remind you of sailing. I've seen one before and it was fabulous.