Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You know those fisherman think fishing is a full contact sport!!!! Many use them to break the wind.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm starting to think that helmets will be added to my inventory, last weekend the wind got sporty enough that many spin boats opted to race without spinnaker. We decided to do the same on the i20. On the first race an auto-gybe resulted in the boom making contact with my head, it was only a glancing blow and didn't seem to hurt at the time, however in hindsight it could have been much worse. I've been hit many times on the h16 and laser, but for some reason the i20 boom scares the hell out of me. I will order some helmets to use for racing in similar conditions.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After going through the forum, I'm definitely seeing a lot of people saying they would wear them, but only if it were "cool". Where I used to race in Colorado, many people on laser's would wear helmets.

I never considered wearing one before (in spit of hitting my head all the time on the boom), but since they are so cheap, I will be getting one this season for the windier days this summer. I just had a car accident earlier this week and realized how easy it is to injure your head. And like someone basically said above, young people have stuff to break in there (I'm 21, in college).

Hopefully I can start a bit of a fashion statement and make it cool :D.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just to give a different perspective: helmets preclude the use of wide brim hats. How many sailors die of head injuries and how many of malignant melanoma?

As anecdotal evidence, in over 50 years of sailing I have never seen an old sailor on a wheelchair because of a head injury, but I have seen plenty with big chunks missing from their noses, ears and foreheads.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When in doubt listen to your head and wear a helmet!
I've taken a few hits over the years (skateboarding, skiing, windsurfing, etc) and took a massive head hit while rescuing a couple that had turtled a mono during a thunderstorm. (ALL WERE SAVED). Now if I'm in wild conditions I wear my old ORANGE windsurfing helmet and most ppl think it's cool and a good idea. (ok some make fun but they are the ones back on the beach and not mixin it up!
I've taken a few hits over the years (skateboarding, skiing, windsurfing, etc) and took a massive head hit while rescuing a couple that had turtled a mono during a thunderstorm. (ALL WERE SAVED). Now if I'm in wild conditions I wear my old ORANGE windsurfing helmet and most ppl think it's cool and a good idea. (ok some make fun but they are the ones back on the beach and not mixin it up!

Hmm maybe I was NOT wearing my helmet last time..........................sailallsummer