Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Boat is Best for Me
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the market for a Hobie Cat. I have sailed on my friends 1982 Hobie 18, and want one of my own; although I still consider myself a beginner.

The most im willing to spend is $6,000; however would buy anything cheaper.

Ive been loking at used 16s, 17s, 18s, and a newer getaway. However I really dont know what boat is best

I would like the capability to carry 4 people occasionaly, and probbaly would never sail alone. I dont think I would really be racing for a few years, so maybe i could upgrade later.

I want to go pretty fast when needed. I would like wings.

I like the weight and the availability of parts for the 16, but heard it drags under water pretty easily. The 17 seems ideal especially with wings, but I dont think it can carry 4 people. In terms of the 18, it might be too much boat, and i am worried its not easy to learn on. In regards to the Getaway I love the extra tramp, and the durability, but can the boat get going fast and handle well. I want to get by heart pumping, and worry the getaway is nothing special in the handling department.

So basicaly can anyone help me determine which boat would be best for me?

Last edited by viper0987 on Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

An 18 w/ wings sounds like what you need. Learning doesn't mean you need to go small; it's not too difficult to rig, and if you've got regular help then that's a bonus. You sound like you've got guts and I understand a Getaway doesn't have the performance of a fiberglass boat. $6000 is what you might spend for an 18 around 5 years old, but older ones are cheaper and can still be in great shape.

The 17 is primarily a single-hander.
The 16 won't hold 4 very well, but is a fun boat. If you want to race, then get one as the class is still strong.

Maybe someone else can speak for the Getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i am still a novice sailor and own an h18 it is fast and was not to hard for me to learn second year and havent spilled it yet. have had three adults onit and it will still go fast. i dont think you ever regret an 18

1981 Hobie 18 "Knot A Clew" sail #5445

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can get a used H16 in decent shape for around $1000 depending on where you live, the condition and year of the boat. You can also sell that same boat a year or two later for the same price you paid for it. I would suggest getting an old H16 then "upgrading" to the H18 a year or two later. You may find the H16 fits your needs very well and you won't want to make the change.

Here is my comparison of the boats:

The H16 is very easy to learn on, and will keep your heart pumping for many years. As you noted they are everywhere and parts are readily available. I have had 3, 6 foot plus guys on my boat weighing in at about 600 lbs. We sailed in 3 foot seas and had no issues. We didn't break any speed records, but the boat stayed afloat just fine. It also makes a very good solo boat as you can rig and sail it alone.

The H18 is a more complicated boat, but you will have no problem picking it up. Older boats can be bought for around $1500-$2000. Do a search on this site for things to look out for with the different modle years. These boats are very rugged, like the H16. They are slightly faster too. Wings are hard to come by and can be expensive. You may want to buy a boat without wings and try to find them later. If you come across a boat with wings, snatch it up if you can. Without wings the H18 gets crowded with 4 adults on it. The H18 is a handful to rig solo, but it can be done.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I find the H16 to be more... stable when flying a hull. I notice it tends to find a sweet spot while the H18 never really settles into one.

My 2 cents...

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would be best to get on each of them to be able to make your best decission.

17 will not sail very interesting with 4 adults. Not interesting with 2
16 hardly will hold for and the trampoline will be too small for that many.
18 will hold 4 but still suffers to some degree. Racks make it heavier
Getaway will hold four and has an optional front trampoline. Great Party Boat!

If you are not into racing and just want a boat to kick around on I think the Getaway fits the bill. It sails relatively nicely when you keep an opened mind that it is a rotomold boat.

If you want to race at all get the 16 and do not take 4 people on it. You can get one fairly cheap. Do not buy one for $500 it will need $1000 worth of work. Find a person who race to help you find a decent boat. The racers will always suggest a nice boat so you will feel good about sailing and hopefully consider racing.

The 17s and the 18s are not raced too much in my area anymore. I am sure you will be able to pick up a used one pretty inexpensively, but why? They will not give you the casual comfort of the Getaway and you will not find the racing class of the 16.

I sail a Tiger by the way. It has a really great group of serious racers in my area and that what is it about for me more than 1/2 the time. It is a great boat to go out and pleasure sail, as well, but it would be way too much work for the reasons you are looking, I think.

Later,
Dan DeLave
Southern CA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

viper0987 wrote:
I have sailed on my friends 1982 Hobie 18, and want one of my own;

I would like the capability to carry 4 people occasionaly, and probbaly would never sail alone. I dont think I would really be racing for a few years, so maybe i could upgrade later.

I want to go pretty fast when needed. I would like wings.

I want to get by heart pumping

I'm reading between the lines here. I'll vote for the 18. Here's why. Your friend has one, he can show you how to rig yours, you can sail side by side with him and will learn to sail at a much faster rate with an identical boat to his. Occasional guests (AFTER YOU"RE WELL SEASONED) will be comfortable on an 18 if it has wings. If this is a great concern (entertaining) opt for a Getaway. There's one at our lake, always crowded with folks, it moves at a reasonable pace. We recommend new sailors to jump right on a cat all of the time. The 18 just happens to be the fastest of those you've mentioned (seems like a high priority). Stay under your friends wing for a while and you'll be fine. :)

You can always sell it and buy a Tiger or Getaway later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just to emphasize what others have been saying in a more articulate fashion, you need to choose a priority: Performance or Recreation.

You want the performance, go for the 18. It will accomodate 4, especially with the wings, and with you and a friend alone, will fly.

You want the recreation, go for the Getaway. They're durable, have wings, front tramp, storage spaces up the wazoo... Basically, a recreational cat sailors dream.

While it is nice that your friend has an 18 that he could show you how to rig, I am one of those under the opinion that if you've rigged one sailboat, you've rigged them all. Once you've got the basics down, its just a matter of seeing which lines fit where. Honestly, I'm not even joking. I mean the mast goes up, the rudders go on, the sail goes up, its childs play. And if you did have any difficulties, you could always come to these friendly forums (or the Technical Support area), and have your problems solved.

I would just simply make the decision between recreation and performance. It sounds like you want recreation to me, because in a few years, you'll have the racing bug built in, and you can buy a nicer 16 and get into class stuff.

Just my three cents.