Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boat Cover Material
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got to make a new cover for my Hobie 16 here before the winter (the blue tarps aren't cutting it :x ) and I have access to some of the material that is used to make generic car covers (sort of a waffle-type fabric, waterproof and pretty durable).

Before I go cutting, sewing, etc. this stuff, does anyone have any experience using it? I've never seen it used on boats, either in dry storage (where mine is) or moored, though I can't think of any good reason it wouldn't work. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Boat covers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd like to add a question on boat covers myself. My used H-18SX has 4 covers; I assume: 2 shiny thin silver and black are for the pontoons, one thin shiny silver and blackis for the tramp. They are like the material uses for the sail bag on the the H-18SX

The last one I don't have a clue for. It is gray canvas, maybe 18' x 8' with a white zipper at one 8' end. It almost has the shape of a tent. I could imagine it being a complete boat cover, but I can't imagine the use of the zipper.

The H-18 is new to me this year, and the previous owner has no idea. Thanks for any suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The last on may be a full boat cover for a mast down or up situation. If the mast was down could you slip the zipper part either way over the mast and rezip it? If the mast is up could you put the cover on and image that the zipper allows the cover to go around the mast?

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Gato,

What about the Mission Bay trip? Is it still on??? Is there a hotel or are we taking tents. Will be at Long Beach on Labor Day week-end. Maybe I'll see you there.

Dan: Assuming that you'll be playing some role in the regatta next week-end, maybe I'll finally get to mee you too.

Happy Sailing Guys,

David

P.S. I'm still using the blue tarp so I have no input on this post. :^ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't imagine that material wouldn't be better than blue tarps. It may not be abrasion resistant since cars are basically smooth.
Post 2- I think the gray canvas may be the tent that was offered years ago. It went over the boom and covered the tramp and wings. Maybe not, Dan may have it pegged, I've never seen a canvas cat cover.