Just saying, there's a HUGE variety of sails back when..... I realize sailing has declined prob 50% in the US over the last couple decades - power boats and jet ski's are all i see anymore ( vast majority inland ) and there's got to be 25+ cats delaminating away in the sun year after year in my area. Just trying to think of a way that's practical to get people - at a distance - looking at, identifying and maybe getting into buying a hobie..
I know every summer when i'm flying past a pontoon boat full of people and kids they're taking pictures and waving like mad. I cruise past beaches and crowds of people in the water that seem to get a visual thrill of sailing but don't take any action or effort to learn about it. Maybe a solid really bright color (colour) with a huge fancy H in the middle of it? Swap it out every few years? NO BROWN, but the sunset/tropical/sweet/cool/vivid/bright patterns automatically and draw attention
The guys that can drop $3k every couple years prob could give a crap less/minor about sail color - just performance.... my guess is 1% of H16 owners race only... the other 99% sail a beater cat for fun and don't care about being in the top 5 at a regatta only.... I could be very wrong, my mileage varies