Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on new boat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First off I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond and being patient. I have some experience sailing a Hobie 14, crewing a 16 and have windsurfed for 13 years. I am looking at a new getaway for lake sailing and will be primarly sailing / rigging solo but need a boat that can handle more than two when the need arises. I am trying to be honest with myself regarding owning a boat that is ok for solo sailing but able to keep my options open (I weigh 260 lb). I really dig 17's but feel I am too close to the weight limit, solo. I am intimidated by the prospect of an 18sx solo, especially rigging. Also, I'm having a hard time with the price of a new getaway when I see one and two year older F18s (and the like) for about the same price. I know a racing boat is just that. I need a sanity check here! And yes I am aware I am a fat a$%. Again, thank you for guidance, I am stoked about getting back on a catamaran.

Post subject: Getaway or H18
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Getaway or H18?

Thoughts... Rigging the Getaway would be a little simpler than the H18 or H18SX, but the F18 is much more complicated. Sailing each? The Getaway is simpler due to the limited controls and no daggerboards. Care? The Getaway is care free. You can bump a rock and not worry. Any glass boat would require more care. Fun? They are ALL fun. Which would I choose? uh... um... tough choice. I will sail anything! The performance of the lighter glass boats is nice. I don't mind the daggers and enjoy the extra controls. With friends who don't sail much? The Getaway with seats can not be beat!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a 2003 Getaway new as a replacement for a Laser. Coming from a monohull, I could not believe how fast and responsive the Getaway was. I suspect that unless you are accustomed to the performance of something like a Tiger, the Getaway will feel plenty fast and responsive.

And then there are the comforts of the Getaway. With in-hull coolers, wings, and a forward tramp, the Getaway is incredibly comfortable for 1 or 2 people, and can easily accommodate 5 adults. Ever get stiff after sailing for 2-3 hours? Not on a Getaway; sit on the wings, or sit on the hull and lean against the wings - you can always be comfortable.

The boat really has 3 personalities. On the one hand, your wife and/or kids can lie out on the front tramp while you enjoy an easy breeze. On the other hand, you can skim through a 12 knot wind solo or with another on board, feeling like you are flying. Finally, you can blow through 4-foot waves and 15-20 knot winds with 3-5 adults on board having a blast. Unless racing is your objective, I think the Getaway is the best choice by a long shot.

After 3 seasons of really great (and carefree) sailing, I cannot speak highly enough of this boat.

Good luck with your choice,

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Close to weight limits on a 17? I'm 250 and plan on sailing an h16 with a crew of 200 or more.... Am I crzazy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie advertises the max load for a 17 is 400 pounds and the max load for a 16 is 800 pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

oh, gotcha... is that because of the weight of the wings?

Post subject: Weight limit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:58 am 
Site Admin

The 17 sits lower to the water and gets wetter sooner. The 16 has a high trampoline. Maximum loads are for light sea and wind conditions.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 250lbs (or was when I had my H16) and sailed with a 240 lb crew.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO