Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i am heavy at 270lbs and I oftn sail with my teanager. currently we are sailing a hobie 16. We sail on a lake in Northern CA which typically has lighter winds. I would say an average day is 4 to 7 mph.
Anyway, considering all that am I best with my H16 or would I be better with a wav or a getaway. One consideration would be a more stable boat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

The 16 would be best all around performer, especially in the lighter wind.

Not the Wave. That is best with a single crew. It "can" carry 4 adults, but would be a lot slower than a Hobie 16. Unless you were sailing in high winds (alone)... I'd not choose the Wave at your weight.

The Getaway would be more stable than the 16. It also has a higher weight carrying capacity and more trampoline area. It is not as fast as the 16 due to its weight and smaller sail area, but still a great thrill to sail. Certainly easier to crawl under the sail during tacks! The Getaway is boom-less.

Considering the crew weight factor... the Getaway does make sense. A Hobie 16 is best sailed at a total crew weight of about 285 lbs. Higher crew weight buries the hulls and adds to the potential of a pitch pole (bow stuff and capsize).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking. Who knows....I know I will run my current h16 this summer then make a decision.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't forget to think about your kid, a teenager is going to want something fast and exciting. unless, of course, on the off chance they don't. then get a wave or getaway. I know the main appeal of taking out my boat is something wild happening (capsize, breaking into pieces, pitching it, the usual stuff). I've sailed Waves, and they are just boring in wind that would be fun in a 16. Never tried a Getaway, but I would imagine they are even less exciting than a Wave.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Consider H18. Much more exiting than Getaway and would carry your weight well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jackB wrote:
Consider H18. Much more exiting than Getaway and would carry your weight well.

What he said!!!

Look up the forum's California 18 nutters, corkguy (in St. Helena) or wscotterwin (in Paso Robles) to buy an 18. These two are on a mission to re-build the 18 fleet. The 18 is the fastest fat-guy-boat-that-can-take-a-beating out there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've owned 4 Hobies. My first was a 16, then 14, 17 and finally a Getaway. For all around fun I love my getaway even though it isn't as fast as my 16 was. It's much more versatile. It's still a fast exciting boat.

I'd never trade my Getaway for a 16.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

kevinbatchelor wrote:
I'd never trade my Getaway for a 16.

Would you like to elaborate? I am not trying to argue, I am just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Hobie Getaway is much more buoyant. It also has twice as much space for people and stuff. With my 16 I was always sailing from the beach. I'd have to come back for lunch, packing a few paddles or coolers wasn't practical. The getaway lets us stay on the lake all day, stopping to swim, dive off of the wings or fish. I also sail with my wife and 3 kids (11, 9 and 6), the getaway is less inclined to pitch and all of the space is really necessary. The furling jib is nice, when I need less sail, i can easily roll up the jib. My 16 had a jib but it didn't furl. I also like the built in coolers (wish they where bigger) and the new rudder designs.
The wings on the getaway make it very comfortable to sail. I had wings on my 17, but they where a pain to set up.

But... you can't go wrong either way. If I had the space I would have kept all of my hobies.

Here is my favorite thing about each boat.

-14' easy to sail solo and lite.
-16' great ride for 2 and no dagger boards to hassle with.
-17' fast solo, wings make a comfy ride.
-Getaway, great ride for a family, versatile and fast.

Here's my least favorite thing about each.

-14' two small for two adults
-16' no wings (i really like wings :) )
-17' dagger boards jammed easy, the main sail was difficult to lock when raising and it didn't have much in the way of buoyancy.
-Getaway plastic hulls, only because they can't be repaired.

Hope this helps, have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had them all and I like the Getaway the best. I'm a senior citizena nd don't move as quickly as I used to but still get a thrill out of sailing the Getaway. I can go out and sail all afternoon without coming in if the coolers are full.