Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to sailing. Windsurfer that went out on the local shops Hobie Wave and Getaway when not quite enough wind to windsurf and now want to get my own boat. Live in Belize in the Cayes. Sailing inside the protection of the Barrier Reef with small chop at most and continual 7 -10 knot onshore breeze with 15 knot days common.

Getting the boat here will be an exercise with an expected purchase in US and as I will have costs like Intl shipping and the dreaded duty, I want to get the decision right and the boat needs to be able to allow me to grow as I get better and more experienced.

I want a fibreglass boat to step up from the rotomoulds. It will generally be just me sailing and although I will start simple I want to be eventually push the envelope and be able to sail in the trapeze single handed, but also on fun days just simple non technical sail to a beach bar with the wife and dog (I can imagine the winces of some "pros").

I have a sailing Club that while geared for kids is run by some experienced sailors who can and have guided and helped me along but also looking for some independent points of view to go along side these.

Is a Hobie 18 too far and above me and my skill set if I start slow and careful and pick my days. Should I look at a 16 or 17 or even something else. If so, why and what and any reasons for against any options would be welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie 18 with wings! I had a h17 it was fun but it bogged down with two adults. In your location I would go a little bigger so you can grow into the boat. I now have a h 21 and solo that beast. With a h 18 parts are all over the place plus there are a few for sale in Florida if that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your weight and your wife's weight??? It's important!
It sounds as though you're athletic and probably under 40 yrs.
Will you be traileing the boat or always have it set up on the beach?
I believe that if you get a larger boat that you can eventually handle okay, but it's difficult to set up and muscle around the beach - you probably won't use it as often. Bigger isn't always better; especially if you'll be sailing solo much of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 6'4" 190lbs. Wife 120lbs. Mid Forties but in reasonable shape. Hadn't given the down time storage as much thought as it needs, so good point and thanks. Beneficial answers already!!

Thought on having boat on beach in season and considered a raised platform or jet ski style floats in water too but not thought this bit through on how many people it will take to get up on these or up onto beach.

If leaving the boat in water in season is our only concern fouled hulls or other reasons to consider I may have overlooked. I have a guy clean the bottom of my skiff monthly rather than use anti fouling paint so another boat's no issue.

I expect to solo quite a lot as I enjoy this sort of thing for "me time" but I want the option of cruising with my Wife. When she's on the boat it will be very sedate and straight forward tooling along. Also the option as I grow to have an extra person on the trapeze etc would be nice. Fully understand there will be a balance and trade off for all options hence trying to get a feel from those more experienced.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're looking for a new boat, your only real option for a fiberglass boat is the H16 (the Wildcat would not be recommended for a beginner).

If you're going used, I'd say either a 16 or an 18 are good choices. At your size, you can have fun on either boat. Both boats will start to be overpowered if you sail single handed above about 15 mph. The main disadvantage of the 18 in your case is weight. The 18 is about 80 LBS heavier than the 16 which means more difficulty moving it around on the beach by yourself. On the other hand, the 18 is a little more forgiving on the water (easier to tack, less prone to pitchpoling). They are both classic, proven designs that would suit you well.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great analysis by srm. Let me just add a few things to that.
We've had our H16 for 33 years and I've sailed with friends on their H18 several times. Both are very fast, but I'm not convinced that the "sensation of speed" is any greater on the 18 than it is on the 16. Minimal at most. I'm sure the 18 is faster, but you'll get a "rush' when going fast with either boat. I've only pitchploed once, but it was my fault - not the boat's fault. Just keep an eye on the leeward bow and get your weight back when necessary. At 190 lbs. you might be able to right the 16 by yourself without the use of any righting aids. Also, it's much easier to muscle the 16 around on the beach, with or without cat wheels, when necessary.
At 190 lbs, with a 120 lb. wife/crew - I'd lean toward the H 16.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie 16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd go with a 16. lighter, better for soloing than an 18 in my opinion, and parts are typically easier to find.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

H16 would be your best way to go. Considering that your sailing within a barrier reef, I personally would not think that you would want a 18, solely on the reasoning of: the possibility of dagger boards ripping into coral and how that would affect the hulls if you did not pull them up. That would be very bad.
At least with a 16 if you did unexpectedly find coral, the rudders would kick up if you had them setup loose, with some damage. ( easier to repair, than dagger boards or possible hull damage)
Buy extra rudder blades, when you buy your H16 you might need them.

79 H16 #46803