Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D On my 1986 Hobie 17, had to beef up the hull, the early models were thin. Added four ports, removed all foam, added fiberglass matt inside hull. Locations were also at trailer contact points on bottom. This repair has worked well for nearly 20 years. The foam was replaced with noodles. They are easy to remove and store for the winter.

Caleb Tarleton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had plans to use half of my grandfathers barn to work on my 14 this winter but I just found out he is heading to Mexico from November to Febuaury. What that means is that I have to entire barn to myself. So now my plans have increased. There was just no for me to do the job I wanted on the 14 with any other boats cramping my limited work space. But now with more room, I think I will try and get the sizzler back in working order. With that will come removing the foam, what chemical did you all say would melt it? And just wondering are those aluminum hulls sturdy enough to operate without the foam support. Could I just add a few noodles and go with that or do I need to find something the expands.

Also, if I do want to put noodles in it, I would have to make access ports, do you all think that would hurt the hulls structure?

Well, the weekend draws near, I am off all weekend and plan to spend it at the lake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

if the weird one has daggerboards then its not a g-cat. I would like to see a picture too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, yeah it isn't a g-cat. I found that out after seeing some pics. But I am not sure what it is. I doubt I will be getting it sailing. It will take alot of work to ever have a hope of sailing. I know this sounds sad but I think it will be turned into a duckblind. We need something that can be dragged around by two guys and will float five or six guys. I have seen another old cat used like this so that is what is going to happen.

I stared looking at how to get the foam out of the hulls. It really isn't foam, is is more along the line of a paste inside there. I just poked a a stick inside the hulls and the stuff crumbled. I think if I could just start working on it over time I could remove most of the foam like that.

Well, I am heading over to the lake for the weekend tomorrow, it will be a great weekend!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I saw a nacro 5.0 at the dock today with no mast, no rudders, and a funky home-made outboard mount on it... I wonder what it's used for.... It's actually on the cat dock, so they must plan to put it in the water... it looked pretty sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

:) Nothing wrong with recycling...