Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking to buy a sailing life jacket that meets the type III requirements so it can be used in regattas etc. I used to own a Stohlquist Brik until it was recently stolen. Some of the things I liked about it were that it fit very well with its many adjustments to it and allowed lots of upper body movement. The main thing I didn't like about it was its storage, I'd put my iphone 5 in there with a waterproof case that wasn't very bulky at all and it'd be a hassle to get it in and out and there wasn't room for anything else after that. I'd like something that has the mobility of the Brik, but has some more storage and can possibly hold a radio(unless most people store these on their boats) for the later season sails when less people are out on the water. I'd also like to be able to hold a small knife and whistle in the jacket and not have something very bulky. I'd use it on club 420s as a crew so trapping, and a Hobie 16. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i use a stohlquest wedge but the hobie version. i like it but is bulky. i prefer a baltic dinghy pro or a zhik but they are not class legal

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was recommended the kokatat outfit tour pfd. Is that class legal? And it doesn't seem very bulky but has plenty of storage.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

optikid wrote:
i use a stohlquest wedge but the hobie version. i like it but is bulky. i prefer a baltic dinghy pro or a zhik but they are not class legal

I just got the same pfd. I like it. Used it twice now. Comfortable and allows freedom of movement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking for something with more storage than the wedge although; it's relatively similar to the brik in styling it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Toss you a gear bag onto the tramp and strap it down..............

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer wrote:

I like to have my VHF on me when I'm sailing. My boat took off without me once in the middle of the intercoastal and I learned my lesson! If your boat takes off without you and you're out bobbing in the middle of 1.5 mile bay, you want a way to call someone to pick you up. Thankfully in my situation Scott (owner of Performance Sail) saw the runaway boat and came and picked us up after about 20 minutes of swimming.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PurdueZach wrote:
sxrracer wrote:

I like to have my VHF on me when I'm sailing. My boat took off without me once in the middle of the intercoastal and I learned my lesson! If your boat takes off without you and you're out bobbing in the middle of 1.5 mile bay, you want a way to call someone to pick you up. Thankfully in my situation Scott (owner of Performance Sail) saw the runaway boat and came and picked us up after about 20 minutes of swimming.

How do you use hold onto your radio? Cause it seems like you can't get both hand warmers and a radio pocket so is it usually fine to clip it to the life jacket or does it tend to get in the way?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My kokotat lifejacket has a radio pocket. The antenna can get in the way a little but its not too bad. Its a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

Not sure about hand warmers...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah it seems like the radio holder is only with life jackets without hand warmers :/ oh well I'll probably go with the kokatat still

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you guys post prices of whatever jackets you are talking about? I wear the same jacket I use for wakeboarding but now that you mention it, it would be nice to get things off the tramp.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, what are the requirements to be class legal?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Nevek wrote:
Also, what are the requirements to be class legal?

Just has to be approved by the regulating authority in the area of use.

In the US, that means it has to be USCG approved.

In Europe, CE (Conformité Européenne) approval is required. CE approved "buoyancy aids" (like the popular Zhik vests) are not class legal for racing in the US.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nevek wrote:
Can you guys post prices of whatever jackets you are talking about? I wear the same jacket I use for wakeboarding but now that you mention it, it would be nice to get things off the tramp.

The kokatat outfit pro is $144, usually basic sailing vests run around $80. It's approved by the us coast guard and has ample space for knives, phones, etc. and has a radio pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm going to go with the Stohlquist Rocker. It's more compact and does what I need it to so I'll be getting that from the Dinghy Shop at the end of the week when they get it in stock.

I also need a harness any recommendations on those?