Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I've been looking forward to the summer and thinking about how to pursue a little project for my Cat but not knowing how to do it.

Here is a nice pic with my Hobie Pearl, based in Paros, Greece:

My problem is, it is nearly impossible to right this cat with 2 medium/small sized people. (There is a mast float on the top, I need it for quick righting and capsizes in very bad waves. I can't right the boat even though I have this huge righting bar. Its like a truss structure made of aluminum tubing from Hobie. It attaches at two points on either end of the front cross bar. I can swing it out from under the trampoline when the boat is capsized, allowing you to pull down it in order to right the cat. But apparently its not long enough and this righting bar gets caught by waves etc, when it's stowed under the trampoline. Also passengers hit it through the trampoline when it is stowed.)

I would like to implement a pulley system that would attach the shrouds to the hulls. When capsized, I could tilt the mast downwards (into the water, taking advantage of the buoyancy of the mast float) causing the hull to rotate in the direction I would want it to go in order to right the boat. Once the hull is leaning at hopefully about 30-40 degrees toward the water, then its much easier to finish righting the boat by just hanging from the hull in the air(or the wing).

Folding Trimarans have pulleys on their shrouds, I envision a system similar to the one in the first picture:

So I am hoping for positive input only. I have no idea where to start in engineering this system (like shortening the shroud cables and re-attaching them, sizing and specing the pulley system...)
Besides the engineering, how could we make this work?