Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: solid tramp
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A while ago we were disussing replacement tramps, and the fact that new ones are mesh and not "solid". I hope I am not out of line, this being a Hobie site and all. But, in my neck of the woods spring and fall sailing is cold at the best of times, and having a mesh tramp doesn't help. So, I was talking to a custom tarp maker about the issue and took him my old tramp for inspection. He estimates he can make a comparable product for about $250-$300. I just thought I would mention it for anyone in the same situation as me. I love the mesh tramp in the summer, nice and cool etc. but it would be nice to have the option in fall and spring.
FWIW
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can still get a solid tramp from Hobie - in white only, but still solid vinyl!

As nice as the 'dry' feature is, I'd rather have the mesh where I sail...the high Columbia River Gorge winds can flip the boat over backwards if the sold tramp catches air. I'v done it, no fun!

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed, tjp. The mesh tramp is a performance item. Solid tramps block air and can cause capsize. Also, a solid tramp will hold puddles of water which cool very quickly. Not an issue if you lake sail where there is not sizeable chop. I sail primarily in the ocean and wouldn't consider a solid tramp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

interesting, I never thought of the wind being that big an issue. Of course I am a newbie, as far as cats go. Last weekend we were out in strong winds, I am guessing at 30 plus mph with strong gusts, and now that you mention it the blow over concept had crossed my mind several times :shock: :lol: I suppose my not having sailed with the solid tramp before would preclude me from any first hand knowledge, but even with the mesh tramp I can say I could really feel the wind as we crested the waves. Once again my land lubber based mind set has let me down.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I take the opposite opinion having used both. I like the solid tramp for the heavy chop and ocean offering some protection. Like I don't get wet enough (washing machine) and the mesh for the smooth stuff staying cool. I think if you are going to keep it outside and uncovered the mesh is stronger and will last longer. Also if I'm going for a quick sail on a lake, I have less chance of getting "wetbutt" with the solid tramp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buzzman,
with a solid tramp in heavy chop you get the roto rooter effect at the lacing, the mesh doesn't do this. I have sailed with both types as well. The mesh will spit at you but the water immediately disappates, it puddles on a solid. And you aren't supposed to be sitting, hanging on the wire will keep you dry :lol: especially when you have wings, there is no place drier on a cat than hiked out on the wings.

Post subject: Solid vinyl trampoline
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Just as reference... the Hobie 16 solid vinyl trampoline is priced at $320.00 for the factory made and class legal trampoline.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

In the ocean, I would say, only when you have wings, you stay dry. I just spent a week in Wrightsville Beach, N.C. and was envious of the guys with wings. I got nailed several times by swells out on the wire (without wings) I flipped about a mile out solo after getting knocked off the wire and the boat flipped just by being dragged by the main sheet. It was white capping at about 20 knots, I needed an extra body. Fun though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Isn't it crazy that they won't let you park on the beach at Wrightsville anymore. I surf the break at Masonboro Island often. Thats heavy wind to be out solo, must have had friends on the water. I sail backup for a couple of solo 16 sailors every now and again. I was headed to the Catfest race in Charlotte, NC last weekend but the wind didn't cooperate, <5kts. The weather said calm, I'd say non-existant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think what we need is a water proof cover that could be attached at the corners over the mesh tramp. That way when its cold and you don't want to get splashed from the bottom up just clip on the cover, when it warms up take it off and go have a blast. A light water proof nylon with Velcro all the way around might work?? :idea: