Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Our new-to-us '97 H-18SX has no loose strands and no kinks in the shrouds and forestay. One shroud has a slight bend...slight meaning a 20 degree deflection in middle of a 20' wire.

Has there been any evidence of shrouds/forestays breaking at other than the ends; i.e., the thimbles/swags?

Besides inspecting for loose strands and kinks, are there any other visual inspection any of you would do to insure that the standard rigging is ok? The pins are good, and the ring-dings are taped.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look for rust/corrosion. If no severe kinks or broken strands then they should be fine. I did have one roller swedged eye come off years ago but nothing else. My dad would run his 16 wires until he dismasted and then replace them, I wouldn't suggest that. I have pulled him back to shore more times than I would care to recall. Theres nothing funnier than a 6'8" man holding up his sails trying to be a mast 1 mile or so offshore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I feel that it is cheap enough to replace the standing rigging and trap wires about once a year. Peace of mind and all that.

I may sail a bit more than you do so push it to two years. I would not go longer. Safety first. Remember a mast does not always fall "nicely" into the water. Sometimes there are things in the way, hopefully not people.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

IF the wires are original to the boat you are at about 10 years on them. Way to long. Spend the $200 and replace them. Well worth the money. Also, check each shroud, forestay, and bridle connection point. Many people ignore these and they do wear out over time.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is much more dependent on how often a boat is sailed. If it's stored with the mast down, etc. If a boat is only sailed 5-10 times a year and there is no stress on the wires other than sailing, inspection is all you need. It's all about amount of workload. The guys that replace them every year are sailing a ton and I hope they even let some one use their left overs, instead of filling the landfill. These guys have a better chance of coming across a improper crimp or swage that fails before the wire will. Replacing them is more based on use, than time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And if you're using your boat in saltwater, consider replacing the wires more often than those folks using their boats in fresh water.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since it is a "new to you" boat you have no real knowledge of prior use/storage-Replace all the wires. Shrouds, forestay, bridle wires, upper forestay, jib halyard, trapeeze, and don't forget the diamond wires. Once the wires are new you will have a better idea of use. Dropping a rig can really put a damper on a good day/weekend of sailing even if no one gets hurt. Keep the old wires as back up, and replace the new wires as needed. I still would use once a year as a good rule to live by, unless you only sail once or twice a month and the boat is stored de-rigged (mast down) away from salt water.

I keep my mast up, sail and store the boat near salt water, sail with lots of non-sailors (not on the trap, more load while sailing), and replace my wires every year. A long time ago, on a Hobie 21 I owned, I lost a shroud offshore (2 miles, $100 tow). The wire was just over two years old and broke half way down the roller swage. No broken wires visible. It was rust that caused the failure. Even if no wear is visible, replace the wires. I was fortunate, no one was hurt and a powerboat was nice enough to call Tow Boat US.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, unscrew the anchor pins and check for cracks. That's the #1 source of rig failure I've seen in my 15 years of salt water Hobie sailing. Grease them up when you put them back in.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for your opinions. The story of the roller swag shroud breaking at mid-length is the first one I have heard. Our 16's mast dropped twice over the years with ring-dings coming un-done at the shroud.

The H-18SX's mast is vertical 6 months on the fresh-water beach. My guess is we sail it 50/times and average a couple hour sails in 12-25 mph winds. We are learning to use the spinnaker which puts more stress.

We see no wear. What is the price of my partners and my piece of mind? is the question. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys,
Maybe I am the crazy one but why buy wires every 2 years. My '81 18 was sailed only in the ocean, only in heavy air for 15 years. I never replaced any standing rigging. I wonder how many of you have ever dismasted. Its not as dangerous as you seem to think. The wires on a Hobie 18 are stronger than they need to be by design. If you use Hobie rigging failure without visable signs is unlikely. I check my wires everytime I raise the mast. I have never had a wire break at sea on my boat. I have been on other peoples boats when the shroud broke. The mast falls to leeward, the base doesn't come windward. Its unlikely anyone would get hurt. You obviously will need a tow but thats it. Replacing the wires on a boat like this is expensive compared to the current value of the boat. Shrouds 80ea, diamonds 50ea, traps 50 pair, forestay upper and lower 100, bridles 40ea - roughly 500 or 25% of the value of most older 18's. If it ain't broke why fix it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ncmbm wrote:
Guys,
Maybe I am the crazy one but why buy wires every 2 years. My '81 18 was sailed only in the ocean, only in heavy air for 15 years. I never replaced any standing rigging. I wonder how many of you have ever dismasted. Its not as dangerous as you seem to think. The wires on a Hobie 18 are stronger than they need to be by design. If you use Hobie rigging failure without visable signs is unlikely. I check my wires everytime I raise the mast. I have never had a wire break at sea on my boat. I have been on other peoples boats when the shroud broke. The mast falls to leeward, the base doesn't come windward. Its unlikely anyone would get hurt. You obviously will need a tow but thats it. Replacing the wires on a boat like this is expensive compared to the current value of the boat. Shrouds 80ea, diamonds 50ea, traps 50 pair, forestay upper and lower 100, bridles 40ea - roughly 500 or 25% of the value of most older 18's. If it ain't broke why fix it?

Ditto,

the important part is
Quote:
I check my wires everytime I raise the mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Shrouds 80ea, diamonds 50ea, traps 50 pair, forestay upper and lower 100, bridles 40ea - roughly 500 or 25% of the value of most older 18's. If it ain't broke why fix it?

First off my whole setup, not from Hobie, is about $225. That includes the trapeze. I have them made by a rigger. I sail a Tiger so maybe my investment is more of a consideration. If a mast falls, I have seen it, it can bend a mast. That is expensive. There are some dangers to self and crew but maybe in different forms. I was sailing a 16 on year when a mast fell down right off the starting line. My crew was in the water floating when the boat behind tried but could not avoid her. Ran right over her head and gave her a small concussion. How about that risk?

Later,
Dan

Post subject: rigging
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The standard caveat I have heard from professional riggers working on boats of all sizes is that any rigging over 7 years old is suspect. As mentioned earlier regular inspection is extremely important. Fishhooks, kinks, rust, cracks in swages are all obvious things to look for, but deep interior corrosion will probably not be visible. I would certainly replace standing rigging over 7 years old, but I personally wouldn't replace rigging every 1 or 2 years. You could do it if it makes you feel safer, but it might be a bit like elephant repellant (you use it and haven't seen any elephants so it must be working + :) . In any case, always better to act on the side of caution.