Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

As the weather and water turns chillier (and hopefully more windy), I plan to still sail. I am in GA, so my waters will not get ice cold, but they will be cold enough to kill me if I fall in and am not prepared and/or cannot get out quickly (via hypothermia). I am not able to sail often and prefer to save money where possible, but am willing to pay for something that will keep my risk of death from hypothermia very low.

So, I would like to get a suit for fall/winter/spring sailing (something to keep me alive if I fall in). This is a multi-part question:

1) What do you use and recommend for cold to moderate-cold water/weather sailing?

2) Dry-suit of thick wet-suit? How thick of a wet suit should I think about, if a wet suit is the best option?

3) Are there suits for cold weather/water that are specifically designed for the movement that is required to sail a hobie?

4) Do you have any specific brands or model names of wet or dry suits that you have had good luck with.

Any and all info is appreciated. THANKS.

Last edited by gcmarshall on Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm

We don't sail at less than 60 degrees and use spraytops and shortie wetsuits (when the water temp has dropped that low it's time to get the boat dried out before freezing weather). Keeping our feet warm for extended periods is the main concern. Suppose fleece socks are in order. In your case I'd imagine a gore-tex dry suit would be in order. Hear Kokotat is an excellent brand.

please read the attached and fair sailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wetsuits are only good when constantly wet ie: surfing, diving. As they dry out they get cold. Are also very tight and restrict movement on the boat. A Drysuit is the way to go but they are expensive. Gill, Kokatat and several others make nice suits. Sometimes available used on ebay or catsailor or thebeachcats. Spray suits might work for lake only cold weather sailing. I surf so allready have wetsuits, use them but don't like them. Don't do enough cold weather sailing to warrant a drysuit.

Post subject: Spraysuit
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went with a full Spraysuit with full fleece undersuit. I got watersocks and Ronstan racing boots. Doesn't get cold enough here for Drysuit. :roll: I tried both of them on as I have yet to use them, BUT i was sweating my ass of by the time I got them off. :lol:

Doug Snell
Hobie 17 "Stress Free" #007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So what we have suggested here is un-comfortable stuff. I like the idea of spray top and bottom with layers underneath (fleece) for autumn and spring days with 60 to 70 water temp. Can always take something off if too warm.

FIRST consideration; Is the gear you're going to use capable of keeping you alive in the water temp's you're sailing.

You've only heard from three guys that have never had dry-suits. From everything I've read they work and are comfortable too, and expensive but everyone says they'd never go back to a wet-suit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John Eaton wrote:
FIRST consideration; Is the gear you're going to use capable of keeping you alive in the water temp's you're sailing.

Correct, and spray suits and fleece wont do anything once you're in the water. They are very comfy out of the water, but useless once you're in... and I think the thread starter is concerned about being IN the water.

There are only two options if you're concerned about being in the water... a wet suit or a dry suit. Either will greatly extend your survival rate in 60*F water. If you can afford a GOOD dry suit, then they are really the ultimate, but a good one is going to run you $800.

I personally don't mind a wet suit (with a rash guard underneath). In water above 60* I just use a full length 3/2mm wetsuit and on the cool days I throw on a layer of fleece with a spray suit on top of that. The 3/2mm wetsuit is plenty for semi-extended periods in the 60*+ water and the wetsuit/fleece/spray suit if great for the cooler air. Anything below 60* water I would suggest going with a thicker wetsuit... but those become uncomfortable quickly IMHO.

Like I said though, if you have $800 kicking around you're willing to part with, that's the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
. . . I think the thread starter is concerned about being IN the water.

yes, staying alive once i am in the water is my main concern. hopefully, i will not get dunked in the first place, but i have to be prepared for it. again, i will be in inland lakes most of the time. and, while it can get cold here, it is nothing like what the water must feel like in the northern or northwestern states during winter. as long as i can prevent hypothermia long enough to get back aboard and/or be rescued (god forbid), then i will be happy. and, i don't plan to be sailing when it's snowing or freezing. .... just when it's "chilly" for lack of a better term.

thanks for all the help. i think i will probably go with a good quality, full-body 5 MM wetsuit, possibly from Gill. that, combined with a good life vest to keep me afloat, should give me enough time to swim to land, be picked up by another boat, or get back on board in the unlikely event of a capsize. i think risks to my health would be greatly reduced this way.

Post subject: Wet Suit
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We'll sail on Lake Michigan in Jan/Feb/Mar on days when air temp is > 28 degrees F; water temp is 32F. We've used 7mm Toros from scuba.com for <$200. Have boots, hoods and gloves are extra. What's been said is true..the 7mm are constricting, but they work in cold water. Surfers on L Mich use 7mm and they're in/out of the water a lot during the high waves/high wind days.

It's a blast when the spray collects on the jib/main sheets and freezes. Obviously, we're careful and stay away when winds are >20kts.

If I were you, I'd set limits on cold water/cold air/wind speeds, try it out, start slow to get over the fears, and then build a foundation of what will work for you. It stretches the sailing season, and they are truly wonderful days in winter that a great sailing days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mr. (and heavy on the Mister) Worth,

Assume you have nice toasty indoor storage for your boat?

We stretched our season to 11/3 last year but were cutting it close on freezing weather. Would hate to have lingering water freeze in our hulls :(

Post subject: Cold weather Sailing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We sail on the Ottawa River, about 7 miles/10 km upriver from the heart of downtown. At this point, the River is a controlled waterway (dams etc), so we are really sailing on a lake around 18 miles long, and 1.5 to 3 miles wide, perfectly located for all prevailing winds.

Being a major Canadian river, and given our climate, the significant factor is always HYPOTHERMIA. We use the rule of 120. Take the air temp and the water temp in Fahrenheit. If it is less than 120, a wetsuit is mandatory. Now in the cooler Fall weather, a drysuit is ideal, but we're not out for hours and hours.

My cheapskate compromise is a pure wool TShirt next to my skin, then a pure wool sweater, then my wetsuit, then my KWays nylon windbreaker jacket and pants. I wear a helmet anyhows, so the head is warm. I wear sailing gloves so the fingers survive. Then I have an old pair of scuba booties. This outfit makes me look like a lost orphan, but hey, this is not a beauty contest. The only time I got cold was when the trapeze dogbone became unhooked from the trap line last October. Once I got back on the boat, the body was okay, the feet began to chill, being wet and in the wind.

If I ever get serious about entering Lac Des Chesnes S C Frostbite Series, I will get a drysuit and high tech long johns underwear.

After September, when we rturn to shore, we are veeeerrry careful to drain the boats, and usually leave the vacuum cleaner blowing through the inspection ports. Delam repair jobs take away from good sailing time.