Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

new sailor on a new to me 14 from about 1981.

Anyway I have sailed it a few times now, and it amazes me how smooth it is on the water, and it goes so easily.

My probably stupid question after reading the tips and several other posts on this site, Is the mast pin supposed to be out while sailing? Previous owner showed me how to put it in and step the mast, but now I am thinking, maybe it is not supposed to be left in.

Last edited by Myoffroadhobie on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nope, pull the pin when you aren't stepping/unsteppping the mast. The mast is supposed to rotate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for confirming that.
I sailed it today, without the pin. Really struggled to get the pin out on the boat launch. Had to get it back level before the pin could be removed.

The wind was blowing quite hard, about 15 knots says the weather report, Owen Sound, Ontario.

Because the strong wind and being alone i struggled hoisting the sail all the way, it was up but not tight. Once out on the water, there was high chop, probably about a foot. I guess that is nothing for you guys sailing on ocean.

Boat was going like crazy, all of a sudden I felt the windward hull lift. I got such a fright I immediately uncleated the mainsheet to depower, really scared. Then I stall out and it takes me quite a while to get going again. During this a couple on a 30 foot or so mono hull comes sailing by. I feel bad, they can see I am stuck in irons.

They were probably about 200m ahead of me before I got going, on the same tack as them. The cat takes off with meaning. I catch up to them so quickly, they drop their sails and switch to inboard engine, I fly by them. It wasn't a race, i was faster, they were more comfortable, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

here's the trick when you're stuck in irons:
loosen the mainsheet a bit, even the traveler, so the sail falls off to one side. whichever side the wind is coming across, let's say starboard, push your rudders over as if turning to starboard, the wind pushes the boat backwards as the bows start to fall off the wind, the eased main will allow the boat to fall off. once you've fallen off enough, pull the tiller towards you to continue away from the wind, the boat should begin to pick up speed and you're on your way.

having the main sheeted tight will make the boat weathervane into the wind and you'll go nowehere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chris
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try. I have read similar posts and tips elsewhere on this forum, and I think that is what I am doing, or trying to do. Reading the words and doing it out on the water is quite different.

I should have a person with me, that will be best, or volunteer to be crew on somebody elses boat.

If there is anybody reading this, and you are looking for a crew volunteer, let me know. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you pull on the forestay while pulling on the pin, it should make it easier to pull out the pin. Some people use a Phillips head screwdriver in place of the pin because it provides a handle to make it easier to pull.

You can sail a boat backwards. In Chris's example, I would push the boom far enough to the starboard side to catch the wind while the helm is to starboard. The boat starts to sail backwards and the rudders pull the stern to starboard. When the bows are over far enough, let the main go over, pull the helm to port and tighten the main a little. I remember reading instructions in a sailing manual for backing a monohull out of a slip by sailing backwards.

Chris,
I see you are from Metuchen. My wife and I both graduated from MHS (which is no longer there). Small world.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Howard,
unless you graduated from MHS when it was Franklin School, the high school on Grove Avenue is still there, in fact it recently underwent a $12 million dollar renovation.

MHS Class of '72

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,

I graduated in 1951 and I know that the school is gone. I went to drive by it with my daughter to show it to her the last time I was in Jersey and I think it was torn down for condos(?). It used to be about a block down from town hall. I don't remember street names anymore up there. The Franklin School name doesn't ring a bell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="hrtsailor"]If you pull on the forestay while pulling on the pin, it should make it easier to pull out the pin. Some people use a Phillips head screwdriver in place of the pin because it provides a handle to make it easier to pull.

You can sail a boat backwards. In Chris's example, I would push the boom far enough to the starboard side to catch the wind while the helm is to starboard. The boat starts to sail backwards and the rudders pull the stern to starboard. When the bows are over far enough, let the main go over, pull the helm to port and tighten the main a little. I remember reading instructions in a sailing manual for backing a monohull out of a slip by sailing backwards.

Ok, thanks, I understand, just need to get experienced in how to do this quickly. Good idea to use a screwdriver instead of pin.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Howard,
in 1951 MHS was the Franklin School, at the corner of Middlesex and Central Aves. Yes, the site is now occupied by 'Franklin Square Condos'.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have taken the Hobie out many times now, and really like it.

Here is a pic of me in front, on lake Huron. I was actually going faster than the guy on the Getaway, sailing the exact same angle. it's not just me starting before him.
To his defense, they were two adults on the Getaway, me solo.