Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pitch-polling
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there more risk of pitch-polling from sailing on a close-reach, or from sailing on a run? What are the main strategies for prevention?

Post subject: Re: Pitch-polling
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own an 18 but I'm pretty sure pitch poling is basically a downwind problem. I'd keep the weight balanced, don't hit waves head on, and be careful when you're on the wire because if you slip and swing forward you can pull it over yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beam to beam reach at speed, especially if you bury the leeward hull in the back of a wave, but mostly for me, it happens during a HiWiJi (High Wind Jibe) when both hulls play sub captain and crash dive togeather (pun intended).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I find that when close hauled in strong winds, if you have a lot of weather helm and start to fly a hull is another risk for pitch poleing. In essence, as the boat heals, the weather helm not only pushes the boat off the wind but drives the lee hull into the water. Its simple to correct by simply steering into the wind. Can catch you out in a gust though!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the gust drives you away from the wind you have lee helm. You either have to rig with more mast rake (lean the mast more towards the back of the boat), or adjust your rudders back to give more load on the tiller. You may also need to sheet in more (travel out a bit if over powered). Your problem sounds like a mast rake issue.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can balance weather helm with the sheets like trimming an aircraft. If you're steering off then let out the jib and sheet the main in. If you're weathervaning do the opposite. I use this when I let inexperienced guests take the helm and they won't hold a course. I just grab the jib clew and move it in or out, essentially steering with the jib.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you racing? If not.. Then WHY NOT pitchpole that thing!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It is like learning to ride a bike... If you want to be able to ride in all conditions in full control.. Ya can't be afraid to find the limits once in awhile.. Getting rid of this fear will FREE you to move up your learning curve exponentially faster.

Find a 'safe' place to drive the boat hard

stay clear of the shrouds

and let it rip!

If you go out in moderate conditions.. Just play with the thing.. Adjusting sail trim, then and crew weight fore and aft... and watch how it reacts. This will give you a sense of how the boat will react in heavier air... Then just keep working your way up...

The most likely point of sail to pitch the boat is going to be from a broad reach.

And sometimes that rouge gust can just nail ya on a shifty day....

(winds 20-25mph+ and shifty in this video) Good times!!!!!! Stayed tune for the laughing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV1aGyLLMw4