Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 63 and started sailing many years ago when I grew up in Annapolis, Md.

Eleven years ago I took another job and moved to Panama City, FL. At first I tried a H14T, since I needed a boat that I could easily trailer and it's mast would fit in the garage (while still on the trailer), since in my neighborhood, outdoor boats, trailers, etc. are not allowed. I also started with the H14T since I liked it's better tacking (vs H14) and I wasn't sure whether I could handle solo the larger/heavier H16. It didn't take long before I felt like I was sinking on the H14T (6'3" and 220) and realized I could handle a H16. I sold the H14T and got a H16 project boat with solid hulls. One of the hulls has an 82F on it's transom and the other hull's date is unknown. The sails are from 1987 (Blue Prism #88863) and I have replaced/upgraded much of boat. The biggest improvement I made was epoxying the frame (after watching from shore someone else fly a hull in my boat it looked bad with the windward hull pointing up while the leeward hull was parallel to the water).

Unfortunately, I have to remove the H16's longer mast from the trailer and store it inside my garage along the back wall each time I put it away. I usually sail solo year around and have gotten to the point that it takes about 15 minutes to unload and set up the boat.

I really enjoy the speed of the H16 and enjoy blowing past other mono hauls, pontoon boats and large cruising cats.

I wish there were more old salts or newbies sailing Hobie cats in my area.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Mon May 17, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am 66 and on my 4th Hobie, a Getaway. I have also owned 3 monohulls and had a boat moored on Lake Michigan in Chicago for 15 years. I love my Getaway and sail by myself most of the tme on the Tennessee River in Chattanooga/Decatur, TN. Can't get my kids to sail anymore, but am hoping to pass it on to my grandsons. It is hard to give up

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tim H16 wrote:
I am 63 and started sailing many years ago when I grew up in Annapolis, Md.

Eleven years ago I took another job and moved to Panama City, FL. At first I tried a 14T, since I needed a boat that I could easily trailer and it's mast would fit in the garage (while still on the trailer), since in my neighborhood, outdoor boats, trailers, etc. are not allowed. I also started with the 14T since I liked it's better tacking (vs 14) and I wasn't sure whether I could handle solo the larger/heavier 16. It didn't take long before I felt like I was sinking on the 14T (6'3" and 220) and realized I could handle a 16. I sold the 14T and got a 16 project boat with solid hulls. One of the hulls has an 82F on it's transom and the other hull's date is unknown. The sails are from 1987 (Blue Prism #88863) and I have replaced/upgraded much of boat. The biggest improvement I made was epoxying the frame (after watching from shore someone else fly a hull in my boat it looked bad with the windward hull pointing up while the leeward hull was parallel to the water).

Unfortunately, I have to remove the 16's longer mast from the trailer and store it inside my garage along the back wall each time I put it away. I usually sail solo year around and have gotten to the point that it takes about 15 minutes to unload and set up the boat.

I really enjoy the speed of the 16 and enjoy blowing past other mono hauls, pontoon boats and large cruising cats.

I wish there were more old salts or newbies sailing Hobie cats in my area.

Hey Tim, I am batting around an idea of bringing by boat down that way for a day trip around thanksgiving. Inlaws live in Andalusia...........

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer,

I sent you an E-mail

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We went out for our last sail of the season this afternoon. While we were getting ready an older gentleman stopped by to inquire about the Hobie. He had sailed and raced with his now deceased wife and really seemed to enjoy discussing the boat. It's always fun to share about the boat and sailing. Every time we put in we attract people interested in discussion. Today we got out in light winds at a time I'm more accustomed to snow rather than summer like weather (at this time of year in Massachusetts on the Merrimack). The weather today was mid sixties and light winds and very few boats around. One in particular actually stopped to let us go by without being affected by their wake. Almost all the moorings have been taken up and the boats are all out of the water. We sailed in environment much like the area was prior to settlement. A marvelous day.