Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently bought a Bravo, I live in Missouri, and I have been getting conflicting information regarding licensing. According to the MO DOR, any Sail boat 12 feet or less would not need to be registered. However, others have told me that the bravo would need to be registered. But it is 12 feet so I am not clear as to why.

Also, on a 12 foot sailboat, does Missouri require a life jacket to be on board for each person? Must they be worn?

Thanks All. I am excited to get out on Mark Twain lake(hopefully tomorrow), but I want to make sure I don't get a ticket.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For me the only PFD question for small sailboats is do you have to carry an extra throwable. My wife always argued wearing a life jacket, until the wind shifted during a tack and we capsized. Now everybody wears one, and I'm no longer just being mean about it.

Page 36 of the Missouri boater safety handbook says you have to carry one for every person. It does not specify they have to be worn, but they don't do much good if you don't wear them.

As for registration, the written guide says 12' or less, so you have a good case to claim you believed you were exempt. When I measured our H16, I measured a few inches over 16'. I registered as 16' and under per manufacturer's specifications, but I carry safety gear to follow the rules for 16' and over (carry an extra throwable PFD), just in case I run into overzealous enforcement.

I'm anxious to start the season too. Have a great time!