Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Getaway and will be trailering it for the first time. The trailer has a cradle for the mast that is elevated, and I want to see if there is a method for making sure the mast doesn't slip down toward the back of the trailer and how it is best secured so it doesn't slide down. I haven't tried it yet, but it just seems that the inclination is for the mast to slide unless there is something on the mast to secure a rope or bungee cord to. Any thoughts?
Plus, I asume the top of the mast with float should be pointed down to the back for less wind resistance.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bobby,

I am not sure what the differance between a getaway mast and anyother hobie mast would be but everybody I know just bungies the mast to the support and the rear crossbeam.

good luck
Sam

Post subject: Tie down the mast
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:30 am 
Site Admin

The raised "cradle" up front is what we call the mast stand. Use a length of line here and loop several times around the mast to secure. That will keep it from slipping if tied tightly. You can use bungee as well, but I would always plan to have a line around it for best security. This is the most important tie down as the mast coming off the stand while trailering can be devestating to other drivers on the road.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know if you know your obscure knots, but a timber hitch works great for keeping the mast from sliding. Basically tie the hitch on the mast about 1 foot aft of the mast stand and then take the standing end of the rope and tie it off securely to the mast stand. This will prevent sliding.

The best method for joining the mast securely to the mast stand is to lash it in place. It's kind of hard to describe in words. It allows you to get a tight hold of the mast and keep it from bouncing out of the cradle.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure it is snug against the mast stand and the rear crossbar. As you drive the boat and trailer move relative to each other and will work out any loose knots.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One, ten, one hundred.

Mile one, tie down what I forgot or put away pliers left on tramp. :roll:

Mile ten, fix any defective "obscure" knots. :?

Mile 100, check for lines/bungee wear on metal and stretch my legs. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the black rubber bungees, the flat ones. They wrap tightly and because of the flat shape and tackiness of the rubber will not let anything slip thru them. Must be replaced every couple of years as they break from uv exposure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i have actually made a rear cradle that sits ontop of my rear crossbar and secure it with the jib lines and then bungee it to the trailer. and use bungees at the mast standin a criss cross pattern have never had it slip or even move on me
[img][img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c259/nytelyter/rearmastsupport.jpg[/img][/img]
i have a cut out for the hikeing stick and the boom also sits nicely into the whole package. it really has worked fine for me and i am going to add some carpet strips for some padding. also it serves as a stand for stepping the mast solo as i have an electric winch on the mast stand. and it starts the mast at an angle. i grab the remote cord and guide up the mast all by myself on my h18

1981 Hobie 18 "Knot A Clew" sail #5445

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recommend lashing to the mast stand. Last week, my mast "popped out" of the mast stand while trailoring. I did not know this had happened until we were at the ramp getting set to rig the boat. The lashing kept the mast from going anywhere. It simply dropped over the side of the rubber "cradle" and stayed right there. No harm, no foul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When trailering my H20 I end-for-end the mast so the comptip is completely in front of the forward mast stand and the base of the mast is at the rear about even with the sterns. I attach to the front mast stand with a flat black rubber tie down, and tie an extra line through the mast tang which is about at the front mast stand, and tie off to the mast stand which will certainly prevent it from sliding, tho my reasoning is in case the rubber tie down breaks, the line will prevent the mast from falling off. I end-for-end the mast in this fashion so the comptip isn't extending way behind the boat, and the back end of the mast is about even with the sterns. A friend had his comptip extended out the back and got hit from behind, destroying the comptip on the way to a regatta. Even with the comptip to the rear you should still be able to tie an extra line through the mast tang and then to the front of the boat if worried about sliding.