Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wouldn't the Bravo be the perfect entry boat for youths and schools?

It's relatively inexpensive (even though I'm sure sailing clubs and schools) would prefer cheaper yet, it should be durable and low maintenance (which are important factors for youth clubs), and lead naturally to sailing larger cats.

It seems to me that Hobie already has a good line up of boats from the inexpensive, simple, entry level, plastic Bravo, to spendy, complex racing machines. There is no problem either with getting youth on the water on account of the number of towed fancy "inner-tubes" I have to dodge.

There is a small sailing club close to where I live, but they only have monohulls and the winds are always light, so it's probably hard to get the kids excited.

I never got involved much with racing and clubs, but it would seem that what's needed is an inexpensive, low maintenance fast and fun boat so that kids can get hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What did the Bravos sell for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

$2800

I believe it's ready to go at that price, unless you want a trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the problems with sailing clubs, and yacht clubs in general with multi-hulls. Is they mostly gear their jr. sailors towards something that is raced competively on the national level between clubs, Intermurally (High School), and Collegately. (This might change with the growing F-18 class), but that still leavse you with no middle ground in these areas

Which is why the general progression is usually Sabot, Laser, CFJ, 29er, 49, etc.

I do not know of any high school, and or college that races multi-hulls, and you can't just take a youth and throw them on a tornado to prep them to race the olympics.

I do not really see bravo's doing much in this regards as well, I would lean more towards progression of say a Wave, Dragoon, 16spi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bphendri12 wrote:
I'm surprised that there is not more interest in the FX-One.

It looks like a really nice boat, and I have thought about purchasing one ater my 16 is paid off.

70% of my sailing is single handed, I want something more durable then an A-Cat, and I have heard that the FX-One with a jib sails well 2-up as well.

It sounds like the perfect boat for me, but nobody else has them, there is no fleet (I could race open class), but then I would miss out on all those great Hobie events :P

I see no problem with the current line up, what is offered is selling well, It might be more a mistake to offer too diverse of a line up (A perfect marketing example would be Apple Computer in the 90s.)

The only additional boat I would like to see in the line up would be a JR specific boat such as the Dragoon. We need to get more youths into sailing / racing Cat's!

Brent,

I hope you can talk some of your peers into stepping out with the FX-1. There was some talk of this at the 18/20 north americans. Someone has to dipell the "nobody else" has them notion. Albiet 2005, two were raced in Wichita, one in Colorado and one in NoCal. There ARE some boats out there.

Those A Class boats are more durable than you or I think. At 160 pounds I thought they could be no stronger than an egg shell, but have been enlightened about the superior (strength) qualities of carbon (which leaves me wondering about kevlar as well).

Ditto adding the Dragoon to the US line-up as a compliment to the Wave. This could affect what boat will they (youth) will be sailing/buying when they're 25.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think most who would consider the FX-One are instead drifting towards the F16 class boats. The Blade is selling very well and the F16 class is very quickly becoming the new hot spot. The boats can be sailed one or two up and are pretty light (~230-240 as I recall). Another area where I think Hobie is 'missing the boat'.

The A class boats are tougher than most would believe. The problem is they are really only meant to be single handed and they cost a lot (like $20k).

As mentioned carbon is very light, but $$$. Kevlar is a little cheaper than carbon, lighter than glass but heavier than CF, and is very resistant to abrasion.

Post subject: F16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Wet1 wrote:
... drifting towards the F16 class boats. The Blade is selling very well and the F16 class is very quickly becoming the new hot spot.

Where? Europe? I don't think we have many if any on this side of the pond.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The F16s are mostly in Florida currently. There is a big movement from Europe toward this platform. Single or double, spin, light weight, easy to right but still not cheap. The continued development of these boats is the draw. I have friends on H16's that are adding spins to their beach boats for the added speed and complexity. I did the same with my 18. These boats are fast and solid. Still a clamshell design which I don't care for. The FX 1, 18HT's and the Fox are all dead issues. They are not what the hype makes you think. The Capricorn, Infusion and F16s are the most interesting boats on the market currently. Very high tech and fast but at 10-15k not easily affordable and hard to finance with reasonable terms. F18 and F16 will continue to grow. Hobie 16s will never die. Hobie has killed my favorite the 18 and has nothing to replace it. Time will tell but I think APHC will get the extreme crowd looking, their marketing will determine what happens. Its clear from Matt Millers comments that Hobie USA is happy where they are. Maybe its time we sailors of small cats align ourselves with a company that thinks like we do. Closed regattas and closed thinking will not expand the reach of sailing. Hobie cats just like Hobie surfboards will soon become collectables if change does not occur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This thread is coming full circle back to the "want", by some, of another high tech/modern/fast Hobie product.

Wet1 wrote:
I think most who would consider the FX-One are instead drifting towards the F16 class boats.

Maybe true, but what about the Hobie loyals who want to remain racing HCA sanctioned events?

Quote:
The Blade is selling very well and the F16 class is very quickly becoming the new hot spot. The boats can be sailed one or two up and are pretty light (~230-240 as I recall). Another area where I think Hobie is 'missing the boat'.

There will be more Blade F16's out there next year after the Alter Cup, somewhere around 24 total. The intriguing thing to me also is the weight.

Seems what we've gleaned, with a lot of input from mmiller, is Hobie USA will not build an A Class or an F16, at least not in the near future.

It would be great to see Hobie step in to the MMOD market of the Formula class with a F16 and create a new one design, just as the Tiger, to be raced at sanctioned events, but that steps on the toes of the H16, diluting the diluted racing classes.

So from H16 you can advance to H17 (not much speed difference but don't need to find crew), FX1 (speed but heavier than the F16), H20 (fast and heavy), Tiger (can the H16 crew handle the spin?).

I'll say it again, Hobie is the perfect company to whip up an all new, high tech/fast/lightweight boat. BUT...we that race are a huge minority in the major scheme of the boating public, 10% of which are sailors and probably less than 10% that race and who knows how few that race catamarans (consider keel boats, centerboard classes) and then how many that actually race Hobies. From the 2006 rankings this number is right at about 700 folks, many of which, like us, double up and race more than one class. Looks like we that are loyal to Hobie will take what comes from Hobie EU and US and like it...for now.

I'm "feeling" a resurgence of interest in catamarans, I've been wrong and could be wrong again. I hope with you that Hobie isn't
Quote:
'missing the boat'

Post subject: Re: F16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Wet1 wrote:
... drifting towards the F16 class boats. The Blade is selling very well and the F16 class is very quickly becoming the new hot spot.

Where? Europe? I don't think we have many if any on this side of the pond.

Right here in the good old US of A. The Blades are selling very well, and as the guys are mentioning, the F16 class is expanding very quickly. I'm sure I don't have to tell you about the F18 class and how competitive it's become, expect the same with the F16 as this can be a solo platform which cost even less to buy into (and are almost as fast).

As I did when I started this thread, I still feel Hobie is letting down the high performance segment of the market. Based on the comments of others, the Tiger starting to age, no F16 class platform, no A class boat, and no real performing 20... I don't think I'm far off the mark. But hey, they make a damn nice plastic boat! There are those that are brand loyal that will try to stay with the Hobie name, but if it's racing or high tech they are after, they're going to have to take the back seat unless Hobie pulls their head out of the sand.

Sorry Matt, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here... just trying to make Hobie see the big picture. Racing boats may only account for a small % of sales, but they are to a certain degree what up-holds the Hobie name. Ferrari spends millions after millions on their F1 teams each year yet they sell zero F1 cars each year to the public... why? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ncmbm wrote:
The F16s are mostly in Florida currently. There is a big movement from Europe toward this platform. Single or double, spin, light weight, easy to right but still not cheap. The continued development of these boats is the draw. I have friends on H16's that are adding spins to their beach boats for the added speed and complexity. I did the same with my 18. These boats are fast and solid. Still a clamshell design which I don't care for. The FX 1, 18HT's and the Fox are all dead issues. They are not what the hype makes you think. The Capricorn, Infusion and F16s are the most interesting boats on the market currently. Very high tech and fast but at 10-15k not easily affordable and hard to finance with reasonable terms. F18 and F16 will continue to grow. Hobie 16s will never die. Hobie has killed my favorite the 18 and has nothing to replace it. Time will tell but I think APHC will get the extreme crowd looking, their marketing will determine what happens. Its clear from Matt Millers comments that Hobie USA is happy where they are. Maybe its time we sailors of small cats align ourselves with a company that thinks like we do. Closed regattas and closed thinking will not expand the reach of sailing. Hobie cats just like Hobie surfboards will soon become collectables if change does not occur.

Agreed!

Post subject: Future?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Future? Who knows what we will do in the future as far as F16, but one thing is for sure... Hobie Cat is and will continue to be the major force in sailing and high performance products. We may not do what some think is the way to go, but we will be a strong company and leading the multihull market with the best possible products that fit the market place. Trust me on that.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: F16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wet1 wrote:
Sorry Matt, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here... just trying to make Hobie see the big picture. Racing boats may only account for a small % of sales, but they are to a certain degree what up-holds the Hobie name. Ferrari spends millions after millions on their F1 teams each year yet they sell zero F1 cars each year to the public... why? :wink:

I really don't think it's got anything to do with racing.

Sometimes you just gotta go what's paying the bills. And right now and in this part of the country, that's rotomolded boats and kayaks. There's lots of high-tech companies that aren't in business anymore.

Brian C.

Post subject: f16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Wet1,
F 16's selling well here in the US? What does that mean? How many are there here now? Unfortunately, I don't see the market, but I want to get on it if it's true!
Not braging, but I've probably sold more FXones here in CA than entire F16 sales in the US. The FX-one fits almost the exact criteria that people want from the F16, single handed, double handed, spin, etc-- and is only around 60 pounds more. And, for that 60 pounds it's exponentially stronger. I store my FX on the beach with no problems, no chance of that for a Taipan! I've gone head to head with those guys and the boats are matched, with me on top everytime--and I weigh 240#'s.
What's wrong with the FX as far as a performance boat? Have you ever sailed one? I think Hobie did a great job with it-- they're great boats, and they cost less than any f16.

I had Jim Boyer (AHPC) here for a few days last year to discuss selling their boats. They don't have a solid business plan for supporting their product here in the US. As soon as they develope their dealer support, then I could potentially see more AHPC boats here in the states, but now it's a boat for the "fringe". They're cool boats, don't get me wrong. I seriously doubt that ANY manufacturer will ever do a better job at regatta support, class support, dealer locations etc.
If I need prizes for a raffle at a local regatta, I call Hobie and get a box of stuff in about 2 days. If I need tech support, get Hobie on the phone or post a question here, and viola, MM answers it. Try to get that kind of support for any other boat manufacturer---it won't happen.

Post subject: Re: f16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Surf City Catamarans wrote:
Hey Wet1,
...Not braging, but I've probably sold more FXones here in CA than entire F16 sales in the US. The FX-one fits almost the exact criteria that people want from the F16, single handed, double handed, spin, etc-- and is only around 60 pounds more. And, for that 60 pounds it's exponentially stronger. I store my FX on the beach with no problems, no chance of that for a Taipan! I've gone head to head with those guys and the boats are matched, with me on top everytime--and I weigh 240#'s.
What's wrong with the FX as far as a performance boat? Have you ever sailed one? I think Hobie did a great job with it-- they're great boats, and they cost less than any f16.

I really hope the FX-one makes 'critical mass' - enough around that others who race want them. It's awefully expensive for a 'boat for fun' though.

Surf City Catamarans wrote:
...If I need prizes for a raffle at a local regatta, I call Hobie and get a box of stuff in about 2 days.

If I win another "Keymaster" I'm gonna fill them with lead and mail them to Hobie, postage due ;) On the plus side, we got some sweet canvassy Hobie-branded bags as part of registration at Westport. Good haul for a $35 entry fee.

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next