Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think that would be the wrong thing to do.

The european markets are vastly different from the USA market. You would end up with a situation similar to Apple computer in the 90's. To big of a product line with functionally little difference between them confuses people, and push's them to your competitor.

I will make exception with the Dragoon, but the Hobie 16spi, allready serves some of those purposes in the youth arena.

If your wife is looking for a boat to move up to, there is the Wave, and if she is interested in racing, at 100 lbs, is the perfect weight to make the 16 minimum with a heavier crew. Fleets are allways looking to promote all female teams.

The focus should be on introducing youth to our sport with what he have now, not flood the market with more model types.

Just my 10 cents

Brent Hendricks
2005 H-16 S# 13566

Post subject: youth
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad you guys liked my cousin vinnie reference!
Fastcat- I was more thinking youts a bit younger than could be someones wife when I opened this thread...but points taken.

We had several Dragoons here in Div 3 that we offered to the youth, but it never got totally organized and I'm not sure what happened--it fizzled none the less.
I'm ready to pony up for a couple of Waves for my youth program. Mimi, is there any dough laying around to help out with the costs? And, I'm slightly worried about insurance. (BTW Mimi, people have called me worse things than Jerry! No worries:)
I think a Wave with a jib and traveler would be a great boat to get a few younger ones out on the water. It would allow a crew of 2 to each have their hands on some lines. No traps to worry about, and for me no maintenance. An older, say 14, 15, 16 etc year old could just sail the 16. I would drag my waves to one of our div3 regattas and shadow them with the Surf City Skiff to make sure everything was going well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know at one of the Big Bear regatta's they had 3 waves, that the kids went out with one adult, and they rotated.

Though I didn't see it at last years regatta.

And I can appreciate the worry about insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with that idea. Using waves for the youth is a great idea. Durable and easy to maintain while still displaying the thrill of the sport. Go for it, and like you said, having a 16 lying around would help as well. You should try to get just paper fliers at high schools around the area and even out toward san jose. good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D We have five Hobie Waves in our program at Sail Sand Point in Seattle. See www.sailsandpoint.org. All five were donated by our local Hobie sailors and local sailing organizations. No capital funds were used to build this fleet. The new boats were obtained through our local dealer, Hobie Cats Northwest, who passed them thru at their cost. Hobie Cats Northwest also provides additonal assistance in obtaining used boats for our growing Hobie 16 Fleet. We now have four Hobie 16's, plus a spare parts boat, and a Hobie 14. Again, all donated, and restored, maintained by our local Hobie Sailor Volunteers. The Waves are used in "Crusing Camps", local Fast and Fun free outreach sailing programs, and used by our youth to race in local Hobie Regattas. The Wave is also our most popular boat in the open sailing program. The Hobie 16's are now used in our Hobie Classes, and are growing the Youth programs, and Adult participation.

Caleb Tarleton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

h17cat wrote:
:D We have five Hobie Waves in our program at Sail Sand Point in Seattle. See www.sailsandpoint.org...
If it wasn't so cold and wet (I lived in Everett) I'd move. You guys have a great facility and program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good Morning, Yout Sports Fans :D

Thanks for your replys. The email mix-ups have been fixed. Laura Sullivan is all over it, working with Brent. I see GREAT things for next years Hobie Youths in Calf!

Brad good to hear from you too. I'd like to chat on the open forum about the Yout Team Clothing, just in case anyone has some ideas.

I'm think'in rash guard shirts and fleece jackets, but would you folks in the warmer states ever wear fleece?

Have a Hobie Day....think young 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mimi Appel wrote:
Good Morning, Yout Sports Fans :D

Thanks for your replys. The email mix-ups have been fixed. Laura Sullivan is all over it, working with Brent. I see GREAT things for next years Hobie Youths in Calf!

Brad good to hear from you too. I'd like to chat on the open forum about the Yout Team Clothing, just in case anyone has some ideas.

I'm think'in rash guard shirts and fleece jackets, but would you folks in the warmer states ever wear fleece?

Have a Hobie Day....think young 8)

Not that I or my Kids for this matter are currently racing, but yes in NM we do wear fleece after mid Oct, it starts to get chili <--- that's kind of a funni.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jeremy writes: I'm ready to pony up for a couple of Waves for my youth program. Mimi, is there any dough laying around to help out with the costs? And, I'm slightly worried about insurance.

Howdy,

I like the way the discussion is moving toward the Wave. I bought one this summer. I can't get over how much fun the kids and I have been having on it. No jib, no spin, just simple fun.

I remember when the Dragoon program started in your area, if I'm not mistaken I think it suffered a lack of people power. I don't remember all the details but know that it was a large undertaking. Teaching sailing becomes a full time job quickly, mostly because of the huge need for good instructors.

Sorry there isn't any money in the Class Assoc Youth budget to purchase boats, YET!!! Caleb Tarleton from WA has some great input on that subject.

RE: insurance. You may want to look into getting your US Sailing Level 1 instructor Cerf. It's 40 hours and not easy to pass, but it comes with a boat load of insurance. Or better yet hire a certified teenager to teach for you. The younger kids love having a teen teach them.

The hard part is finding time for all these good intentions. The sailing season is WAY to short.

Keep on keeping on :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Caleb Tarleton writes:

Very Happy We have five Hobie Waves in our program at Sail Sand Point in Seattle. See www.sailsandpoint.org. All five were donated by our local Hobie sailors and local sailing organizations. No capital funds were used to build this fleet. The new boats were obtained through our local dealer, Hobie Cats Northwest, who passed them thru at their cost. Hobie Cats Northwest also provides additonal assistance in obtaining used boats for our growing Hobie 16 Fleet. We now have four Hobie 16's, plus a spare parts boat, and a Hobie 14. Again, all donated, and restored, maintained by our local Hobie Sailor Volunteers. The Waves are used in "Crusing Camps", local Fast and Fun free outreach sailing programs, and used by our youth to race in local Hobie Regattas. The Wave is also our most popular boat in the open sailing program. The Hobie 16's are now used in our Hobie Classes, and are growing the Youth programs, and Adult participation.

Hey Caleb,

How WONDERFUL to hear about your program!!! You are doing EXACTLY what it takes to encourge and promote Hobie Yout sailing. I would love to visit your place some day, it looks GREAT. What do you think about working on getting a team or two from your club to the Hobie 16 Youth Championships next summer in Upstate NY? There is some Youth Grant mony available to help make it happen. See http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com under Youth sailing

Keep up the good work.
Mimi Appel
HCA-NA Youth Rep