Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Catamaran
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to buy my first catamaran and would like to keep the cost at $1000 but preferably below that. I found this one Hobie Cat 16 on craigslist and was wondering if it is a good deal. Any help is appreciated.

http://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/4412462262.html

Post subject: Re: First Catamaran
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Completely depends on condition. I bought a used H-17 that seemed to be in good shape, but turned out to have a serious hull leak and "new" shrouds that failed about the 3rd time I sailed it, resulting in the mast coming down on us!

Check the hulls for soft spots or serious damage. Sails need to be solid and not mildewed. The tramp looks pretty sun bleached, unless that's the color. Sheets (the ropes) and halyards need to be proper sailing line, not walmart rope. Print out the Hobie assembly manual for the 16 and check the way the boat's rigged to be sure everything important is there.

As far as the shrouds go (the 3 wires that hold up the mast), if I were to buy another used boat, I would replace them no matter what. The seller of the boat I bought told me he had replaced them earlier in the year. If a shroud fails and the mast comes down on a person, it will seriously injure them. (He also told me the hulls did not leak.)

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That looks like a 500$ boat. Looks like its been sitting around a long time. Will need new running and standing rigging. Tramp may be rotten.
I would assume I would have to put $1000 bucks into that boat to get her water worthy.
If the hulls and sails are in super good shape...it could be worth saving her, depending on price.

Read up on "soft spots"!

I just looked at your craigslist and your in Hobie country (tons of listings). Look at a lot of boats and you will find something cherry and ready to sail or very close to it in your price range.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That appears to be a VERY old 16! Looks like pre-'82 rigging and the trap wires appear to be original from way back- maybe 70's. Before shelling out for it, I'd go over it with a fine toothed comb. look for soft spots definitely. Check the standing rigging for corrosion and broken strands. Shiny paint often hides repairs. If she's in really good shape, with crisp sails and a serviceable trailer, I don't think $1000.00 would be unreasonable. That and the owner may take less! Good luck.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:22 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The galvanized trailer is worth more than the boat.

Another thing no one has mentioned is the scum line on the hulls - which usually means it sat in the water for a long time - a very bad thing. The front right corner casting has been replaced (it's black, everything else is clear anodizing). The mast is very dirty. The tramp is toast.

That's a mid to late 1970's boat. It would take a lot to get it on the water safely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replies. I'm not a boat guy so I don't know what a good vs bad used boat are but I'm researching and slowly getting the hang of it. I was actually just looking at a o day mariner sailboat recently and I'm so glad the sale fell through. The guy was asking $1200 for the 19 footer, I counter offered and he accepted but didn't end up having the title. He also tried to get me to take the boat with no title. Then I realized what a piece of crap it was and if he had found the title I would've been screwed if I bought it because of the work the boat needed.

Anyway I'm back to looking at the Hobie Cats in my area and I did find one in Cleveland which is about a 45 minute drive but they're asking $850 for a 1970 something boat so I'm waiting for them to come down before I drive out there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dorienc wrote:
Completely depends on condition. I bought a used H-17 that seemed to be in good shape, but turned out to have a serious hull leak and "new" shrouds that failed about the 3rd time I sailed it, resulting in the mast coming down on us!

Check the hulls for soft spots or serious damage. Sails need to be solid and not mildewed. The tramp looks pretty sun bleached, unless that's the color. Sheets (the ropes) and halyards need to be proper sailing line, not walmart rope. Print out the Hobie assembly manual for the 16 and check the way the boat's rigged to be sure everything important is there.

As far as the shrouds go (the 3 wires that hold up the mast), if I were to buy another used boat, I would replace them no matter what. The seller of the boat I bought told me he had replaced them earlier in the year. If a shroud fails and the mast comes down on a person, it will seriously injure them. (He also told me the hulls did not leak.)

Wow that's not good at all. How did the hull leak? We used to have a jet ski and we rode it up on rocks and the hull still didn't crack so someone must have did it on purpose or something. Also how did the shroud fail, I was under the impression that they were steel lines holding the mast up? Just asking because it will give me more insight into what to look for in addition to the regular stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hobiesrock wrote:
That looks like a 500$ boat. Looks like its been sitting around a long time. Will need new running and standing rigging. Tramp may be rotten.
I would assume I would have to put $1000 bucks into that boat to get her water worthy.
If the hulls and sails are in super good shape...it could be worth saving her, depending on price.

Read up on "soft spots"!

I just looked at your craigslist and your in Hobie country (tons of listings). Look at a lot of boats and you will find something cherry and ready to sail or very close to it in your price range.

I have read up on soft spots but from what I read they are completely normal and sooner or later all the cats develop them wherever people step on the hulls. I'm sure its not the best thing but I think it would be hard to find a 30 year old Hobie without soft spots.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"I have read up on soft spots but from what I read they are completely normal and sooner or later all the cats develop them wherever people step on the hulls. I'm sure its not the best thing but I think it would be hard to find a 30 year old Hobie without soft spots."

Hard to find but not impossible..........

I have two 1981 Hobie 16's without soft spots. They are rock hard and one looks nearly new. So there are good boats out there that have been well taken care of. Generally these boats don't come for sale because the owners really love what they have and won't give them up. I keep my boats covered year round and I like cleaning and waxing if the wind is not blowing.

If anyone wants a really nice older 16, come and look at mine...bring cash.

One is just a solid seldom used 16 with the original parts and a completely restored trailer ( 8 years ago). The sails have been professionally repaired. This is my loaner boat for friends to use. It has spent most of it's life on a small lake sitting covered on a boat lift. I have taken it to the ocean twice.
Price $1600

The other fresh water 16 looks nearly new, rock solid, new rigging and line, with an incredible road trailer, a fantastic custom built aluminium walk plate sail box that carries two set of restored vintage sails and the rudders fold into a redwood tray that slides inside the sail box. I found this boat stored in a garage since 1989......WOW

Price $3000

Or maybe I will just keep these boats.... :P

I do know of a original 1979 Orange Crusher stored in an attic over a garage unused since 1980. It look dusty but brand new. The sails are perfect. Kind of like a time capsule..... :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bill 404 wrote:
"I have read up on soft spots but from what I read they are completely normal and sooner or later all the cats develop them wherever people step on the hulls. I'm sure its not the best thing but I think it would be hard to find a 30 year old Hobie without soft spots."

Hard to find but not impossible..........

I have two 1981 Hobie 16's without soft spots. They are rock hard and one looks nearly new. So there are good boats out there that have been well taken care of. Generally these boats don't come for sale because the owners really love what they have and won't give them up. I keep my boats covered year round and I like cleaning and waxing if the wind is not blowing.

If anyone wants a really nice older 16, come and look at mine...bring cash.

One is just a solid seldom used 16 with the original parts and a completely restored trailer ( 8 years ago). The sails have been professionally repaired. This is my loaner boat for friends to use. It has spent most of it's life on a small lake sitting covered on a boat lift. I have taken it to the ocean twice.
Price $1600

The other fresh water 16 looks nearly new, rock solid, new rigging and line, with an incredible road trailer, a fantastic custom built aluminium walk plate sail box that carries two set of restored vintage sails and the rudders fold into a redwood tray that slides inside the sail box. I found this boat stored in a garage since 1989......WOW

Price $3000

Or maybe I will just keep these boats.... :P

I do know of a original 1979 Orange Crusher stored in an attic over a garage unused since 1980. It look dusty but brand new. The sails are perfect. Kind of like a time capsule..... :D

How much do they want for that orange crusher? And do you have pics of your $1600 Hobie cat?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

roblox84 wrote:
Wow that's not good at all. How did the hull leak? We used to have a jet ski and we rode it up on rocks and the hull still didn't crack so someone must have did it on purpose or something. Also how did the shroud fail, I was under the impression that they were steel lines holding the mast up? Just asking because it will give me more insight into what to look for in addition to the regular stuff.

The 17 has centerboards, and there was a bad crack along the centerboard trunk. I glassed over it and mostly fixed it, but it still always leaked, only a gallon instead of the 30 it originally leaked before I fixed it, for an afternoon sail. I did inform the buyer of the leak when I sold it.

The windward side shroud broke approximately in the middle. Yeah, they are stainless steel cables. There were broken strands hidden inside the plastic coating that became evident after the mast came down. They looked to be in good shape, and the seller represented them as almost new. I would hand over hand inspect the shrouds on a used boat, flexing them to look for broken strands.

I realized after I bought it and fixed stuff that it had been raced - hard!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

roblox84 wrote:
I think it would be hard to find a 30 year old Hobie without soft spots.

I did. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hobiesrock wrote:
roblox84 wrote:
I think it would be hard to find a 30 year old Hobie without soft spots.

I did. 8)

I was looking for something solid in the $800 price range but if I need to go up to around $1600 for a cat with no soft spots I would definitely consider that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm going to go look at a Hobie 18 on Sunday, asking price is $1600. He says it's in good condition with no work needed but it's been on craigslist for a month which may mean that it's crap and no one wants it because most good condition cats sell within a week or two when I've been watching them. I'm going to check the hulls for cracks and soft spots, go over the shrouds and rigging, any other advice for me? And if this boat is actually in good condition is the asking price fair to begin with?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/4385769343.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is a good read on how to shop for a cat

http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

Good news, H18 are build like tanks. Check the dagger-board well, and the hull bottoms for excessive wear. Make sure you have all the parts, main block, boom, downhaul, rudders, etc. Ask the seller to rig the boat with you to make sure nothing is missing. Don't worry about the standing rigging (the metal wires), you will need to replace them anyway.

For $1600, you are not expecting perfection, but not a part boat. Expect a good wear on all the parts, including the sail. Give a good inspection to the main and jib. Are they still somewhat crispy? Anything growing, rips, etc. Make sure rudder cams work, and they lock properly.

Post picture if in doubt. Folks here are always eager to help. Yeah, post a lots pictures regardless :mrgreen: