Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible yes?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own a 14T and love it, but I am looking for a little more speed. Also I want a bigger boat. I have been looking for a 17, it seemed like the best boat for me but now that I am looking around I see that they are expensive. I know they are designed as a solo boat so that was what I looked at naturally.

But now that I am realizing how unlikely finding a 17 is I am starting to look at the 18. I solo most of the time and rarely have help setting up. I know the 18 can be soloed but I want to know if it is more work than I want. I think I would have to get some kind of mast stepping device, also a righting pole of some kind or is it even possible to right the 18 solo with some kind of aid.

I just want honest answers, remember I am young so I do not mind some work and labor in setting up, or in the sailing. Thanks everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I moved up from an H16 to the H18 a few years ago. I set up the H16 solo with no problem and was able to right it solo in anything over 12 kts.

I have been able to devise a way to set up the H18 solo with a mast stepping system. The hardest part for me now is to position the mast so it can be stepped and to replace it into the mast cradles at the end of the day.

I am a pretty good sized guy at 6'2", 260 lbs. I find the mast hard to handle since it is so long. I don't want to think what an SX mast is like.

I will be building a righting pole this winter for the H18 so I will be able to right the boat solo.

Once the mast is positioned for stepping the rest of the rigging is very quick and easy for one person. I can even raise the main sail on the water without the help fo the crew ( I still need plenty of room so I don't blow into anything expensive). Solo sailing is a breeze. The amount of ajdustability of the rig is nice so you can depower and still zoom around on the water.

I do find it hard to move the boat around on the beach (with or without wheels) solo. I am still perfecting this.

I would recommend that you find someone near you with an H18 and go for a sail. This way you will see what it takes to rig the boat and to sail it.

I will complain about my boat while I am setting it up and tearing it down, but on the water in a good 15+ kts it is all worth it.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Solo righting the 18 isn't easy. With shroud extenders and a righting bag with some wind on the tramp it can be done. Raising the mast is a challenge. I just bought an electric winch rated at 2,000 lbs with remote and vehicle battery attachments from Northern for 49.99. Its made by Masterlock. Look for a boat with wings for solo use and you will be very pleased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you still looking for a H17? How much were you looking at spending? I may know of one for sale that is in very good shape and would come with the trailor. But don't know what the guy would ask for it. (I'll check if you are interested)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, if you knew about one that would be great. I am not really sure what I am willing to spend. It all depends on how good of shape it is in. If you could look into it and see what he is asking that would be great. Also where would this boat be. I am in Oklahoma and do not mind driving a few hours any direction to pick it up. Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will check with him this weekend about it and see if I can get more info. The boat is in Chattanooga TN. I don't know if that would be too far or not-definately more than a few hours. Get back to you as soon as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got some info on the H17... He says it comes with trailer (including sailbox and spare tire), full travel cover for boat, including the wings. The sail is 6yrs old-but not used hard, and everything is in very good condition. It is a 1999 model. He is asking $4500. Also he said that if you were really interested he could possibly meet you in Memphis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry that is a little out of my budget, I think that for now a 17 is out of reach. I am a broke college student and have a pretty limited budget so thanks for looking but I can't afford that although I would love to have that boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you love your 14. Your really going to love a 16. Also when I go setting up with a friend that has an 18. He is 15 minutes behind me.
I think the 16 is challenging solo. I'm certainly never bored on it, especially in a blow. Soloing on an 16 vs. 18, is like comparing a corvette and really fast cadillac, respectively. The 18 is much more stable, which is less work. If you hate set up, that should make your decision much easier. There are two 17's on e-bay right now that look pretty good.
Good Luck1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yeah, i am watching both of them but they are both a long ways away. I like the idea of a 16 but it was designed as a two person boat. I love the 14 because it is so light and easy to handle on and off the water. I wil most likely be staying with the 14 for now. Maybe in a few years I will be able to upgrade to a bigger boat. There is a 16 just a block from my house. He hardly ever uses it but he always has it under a cover. I might see what he wants for it!