Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

More of a kayaking story because there wasn't enough of a breeze to make it worth sailing but I thought I'd share it here with you folks as well.

Yesterday, I'm out kayaking and stop into a beach to rest, eat lunch and have a swim. While I'm swimming I see a couple going by in a pair of sit-on-top kayaks. Something caught my eye as being funny on the girls kayak. At first I thought her feet were just sticking up near the bow but that would have given her insanely long legs. Then, what I thought were maybe feet moved from side to side. No feet should move like that!! It almost looked like something alive.

So I swim out to get closer, trying not to appear too obvious about my curiosity. Sure enough, there was a fairly large lizard of some kind riding happily along on the front of her boat. Her unnaturally twisting toes were actually this creatures head looking side to side.

My first thought was, "What a day to not take a camera." Then I found myself wondering if it could swim. Then, when it turned its pokey eyes to stare at me, I mainly wondered if it could swim faster than I could.

They waved & said "hi" and I said "hi" as if I see lizards on boats every day and then I swam back to shore. It became a very surreal experience, I have to say.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Funny!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At a Hobie regatta in Monterey, CA last year the wind was blowing well and we were winning the race, a rare achievement for me, when on a fast downwind leg a massive sea lion breached completely out of the water loudly barking just in front of my boat between the hulls. My first thought was, "Please don't land on the boat! Please don't land on the boat!" The beast hit the water first so my second thought was, "Please dive so the daggers don't hit and slow me down! Please dive so the daggers don't hit and slow me down!" The boat missed the leviathan and we won the race.