Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If I purchase a Getaway or any boat from an authorized Hobie Dealer, what should I expect? Do they go over the rigging, do they take you out on the water for a "new boat orientation" type of thing?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:40 am 
Site Admin

I'm sure it depends on the dealer and what you negotiate with them. There is no standard.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My dealer and I rigged it in the parking lot. We didn't rig the spinnaker, which I later regretted since the instructions that came with it were inadequate. Thankfully, a fellow Hobier on the forum wrote the definitive instructions on the Hobie spinnaker, the rights to which the Hobie Company should purchase!
As far as taking it on the water, I think he would have (Aquarius Sailing in Pewaukee, WI), but this isn't my first Hobie.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't believe my dealer would have went on the water with me, but they were more than happy to explain as much as they could about the boat. If there are information gaps between what your dealer tells you and what you need to know, ask these forums...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Expect the dealer to show you how to insert and remove the Mirage drive and how to adjust its settings. If they do anything more consider yourself lucky.

This is where there is a serious gap when buying a Hobie Mirage drive boat for the first time. Hobie produces an excellent video but it only covers about 50% of what you will want or need to know about how to operate and maintain everything.

I have had multiple kayaks and sailboats and power boats and yet the Hobie was a different animal and there were lots of little gotchas at first like having the rear carry handle get caught in the rear rudder so it would not go down into the water. Hobie provides an elastic loop that uses the same cord as is used to keep the rudder down when traveling by car so the need is known but this is not explained or mentioned anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie or any other boat.... IMHO, it is rare than anyone walks into any boat dealership and buys a boat off the floor without some experience somewhere.... prior ownership, prior ownership of a similar boat, having sailed with a friend, or having sailed at a resort or at a sailing school..... Should Dealers be expected to teach basic sailing? That's Sailing school stuff. I would expect a certain amount of help/guidance in terms of set up and rigging....

So to expect 'on the water' demonstrations is not the norm, unless you are buying a $700,000 Lagoon 450.

Of the Hobie dealers I have dealt with..... Fogh Marine in Toronto does offer a couple of weekend try outs each year of Waves and Getaways. Last time I visited Tackle Shack in Florida, he offered to put me in touch with one of his beach rental operator/customers so I could rent a Wave or a Getaway, and Nautical Ventures (on the east coast of Florida) does the same. Rob of the Boat Works in Syracuse and Jim Sohn in Des Moines (being very active in their local sailing scene) will likely set you up with one of their customers....which is an alternative I have heard about elsewhere.

Do you have a local club where you can take one out? I have always found other Hobie sailors to be most generous with their time and extremely happy to share knowledge and experience. I suggest you use whatever resources you can to 'grow' your knowledge.

Good winds