Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Furler "fix"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Furler performance - I have not scanned all entries to see if this little "fix" has appeared before - my apologies but my furler works well with the following: add some - old school product - "friction tape" (found in the electrical department of your diy store ( it was the stuff used to wrap hockey sticks and grips on baseball bats in the dark ages) to the spindle of the furler as it provides grip between the spindle and the line/rope. This will make the supplied combination white/color line "grubby" - the tape will leave black sticky stuff on the line but the furler will work well - getting more "grip" rather than trying to add tension is the thing. If the "grubby" bothers you, swap out the provided line with black line - you won't notice the residue from the tape. Find a line that has more texture and the performance will improve even more. Think of a pitcher grabbing the rosin bag or a violinist prepping their bow with the same stuff - same idea, great results.

Post subject: Re: Furler "fix"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I assume you're talking about the furler on the Bravo or one of the sailing kayaks.

The jib furler for the catamarans (H14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21) has been around for decades and is a very dependable and proven design that needs no fixing. I certainly would not add "sticky tape" to the jib furler mechanism.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess that I am still in the dark ages, as I wrap my hockey stick, softball bat and my hiking stick with Hockey Tape.
Just rebuilt my furler this off season. Took 15 minutes.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My furler has the end of the rope stuck thru the hole provided in the plastic spool. It cannot slip period The line is not stressed in any way. The furler rope is not tied in the same way as a fishing spinning reel.
another issue is using sticky tape anywhere on a sailboat sand is a problem without without glue to hang on
Hope this helps
Former Hobie Admiral Gary