Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If I come off sounding ignorant about this it's because I am. I just bought a used Jennaker for my H21 SC and need some additional hardware. I have the sail, blocks, swivel and furler but know I need more to install.

I need to know the length of and or the Hobie part # for the bridles that go between the furler and the bow tangs. By chance they would not be the same as the jib bridles would they? The closest match I found is this 30998001 SPINNAKER BRIDLE WIRE H21 but I think this is for the SE, and not the SC Jennaker.

Are there any other lines or cables that go between the head of the sail and the mast? Best as I can tell there is not, but I want to make sure.

Tangs. I need a pair to go at the ends of the rear cross bar to connect the ratchet blocks to. Would this be what I'm looking for?? 30691001 TANG FOR REACHER,H21/21SC

Furler cleat . I looked but don't see one listed like the factory jib furler cleat that goes on top of the cabin. A micro clam cleat would be over kill, but might be my only option too.

I also need to install a horn cleat onto my mast for the Jennaker halyard. I don't own a pop rivet gun, and wish to know if it'd be a mortal sin to use stainless screws, or am I asking for trouble? The boat is going to be used in salt water.

I think that's it. Any help given would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure what your asking. Is this a jennaker(asy spinnaker) or a jib your installing? If a jennaker, what about a pole? Jibs are normally roller furled, hooters are roller furled but jennakers or spinnakers are not. More detail please, terminology is important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Sports Cruiser uses a Jennnaker. Hobies terminology, not mine. There is no pole and it does use a roller furler. I tried to be as accurate as I could/can using the terminology found in the manual concerning the missing hardware. Please go here http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/21SC_Manual.pdf Please look on Hobie manual page 26 (Adobe page 28 of 33) so you can see what I'm referring to.

I was hoping to find another member that owns an SC that could give me some measurements or insight.

Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the link. Basically a spin without a pole. Uses a bridle wire and roller furler. First you will need the extra bow tangs and the bridles, Matt Miller can help I'm sure. There should be a halyard to raise the spin and it needs to be cleated or tied to secure. Your mast should be a comptip so you can not screw the spin tang on, it must be riveted with rivet caps in place to stop leakage. The cam for the roller furler can be anything, I would consider a spinlock. Most likely need a turning block for the mast tang. Does this sail have a zipper along the luff? Pretty cool setup much like a hooter, don't leave it furled or it won't last. The bridles look to be the same as the jib bridles but post a message directly for help from Matt and he will respond. Probably could use the tang for the wings to attach the rear block, looks suspended in the pics?

Post subject: Jennaker
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:26 am 
Site Admin

The bridles for the Jennaker are from a Hobie 14 Turbo # 10822010

The sheet block tangs are from a Hobie 16 # 20120000

The top of the Jennaker is hoisted with a 1/4" halyard line. It has a swivel and a shackle tied to it.

The halyard cleat is placed in the luff track with screws and square nuts.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ncmbm...there's no zipper in the luff, just hard wired in. I never leave my sails out in the weather. I guess I'm also a little anal as I just bought a gallon of 303 Fabric Guard! All the other hardware and hard points are already on the boat, except the sheet block tangs, and halyard cleat. Being a novice, I don't know why more boats are not rigged this way. I'm sure there are any number of advantages and disadvantages, but don't know what they are.

Matt, THANKS for the p/n's. I'll place an order w/ the local dealer soon...along with a laundry list of other items. I still have a question about installing the cleat in the luff track. I read that in the manual, but guess I missed the part about using square nuts.

THANKS AGAIN, appreciate the help.

Post subject: Cleat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Rockets wrote:
I still have a question about installing the cleat in the luff track. I read that in the manual, but guess I missed the part about using square nuts.

Still have a question? The cleat mounts in the track just like the downhaul cleat on a 14 or 16. Square nuts inside the track cleat outside. Tighten the screws to seat the square nuts tight inside the track at the desired location. You can also rivet to the side of the mast, but the standard solution is easiest.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

No more questions. I'm good to go. This is my first boat and I'm not familiar with it, or previous models for that matter. Was concerned about main sail interference with the luff track... went out and looked at the luff track and saw how it'd work as you described.

THANKS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

any info on the jennker halyard length?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Measure from the base of your mast to the tang for the Jenny and multiply by 2 to get the cut length. Some length will be consumed by knots/cleating, so the finished length will be a bit shorter than the cut length. If you want to be able to connect the halyard to the furler when the jennaker is stowed add another foot or two.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Looks like it was 46 feet. 1/4" diameter.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)