Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dunno Creative,.. looks like it will be hard to get the hulls out of the water on that boxed hydrofoil frame. :wink:

I like the Bob tho. Team Oracle could use one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
I dunno Creative,.. looks like it will be hard to get the hulls out of the water on that boxed hydrofoil frame. :wink:

I like the Bob tho. Team Oracle could use one.

http://www.hobieclass.com/?Page=9849

The American Sailing Association (ASA) and Hobie Cat® Company are proud to announce their worldwide partnership, the goal of which is to attract a new and enthusiastic wave of sailors into the sport. Hobie has partnered with ASA for this project to grow the sport of sailing. The catalyst will be the global excitement for sailing generated by ORACLE TEAM USA’s spectacular come-from-behind America’s Cup victory, a targeted sailing education program developed by ASA, and a special edition Hobie catamaran. The announcement is being made today by Hobie’s Director of Marketing, Dan Mangus, at the Salon Nautique International de Paris, a.k.a. The Paris Boat Show. The “concept boat” for this endeavor, with its distinctive black hulls and logoed sail will be displayed in the Hobie booth as the flagship of this project.

The new boat will be the first in a series of special edition ASA/Hobie catamarans designed with the dual
purpose of making it easy to learn as well as appealing to those youth and young adults attracted to the speed and performance of multihulls. The boats will be offered by Hobie Cat sailboat dealers worldwide starting in
2014 concurrent with the ASA’s rollout of its new educational program featuring the new boat. “As with any sport, there always needs to be massive efforts by our industry to get new participation into sailing,” commented Dan. “Our new partnership with ASA is Hobie’s contribution to this endeavor. Our whole team is enthused about sharing our passion for sailing.”

“Sailing’s image got a dramatic face lift during the recent America’s Cup competition in San Francisco. With foiling catamarans and global TV exposure it created an incredible opportunity to widen the sport’s reach at its very foundation -the new sailor. Now, Hobie and ASA are poised to further broaden the impact of the America’s Cup in a very fundamental way – by growing the sport,” noted two-time America’s Cup winner, Peter Isler, co- founder of ASA and a member of the ASA’s Board of Directors.

The education arm of the partnership will be a new educational program that will be featured at ASA schools. ASA’s catamaran program will also be available for use by sailing and yacht clubs around the world. “Over the past 30 years the ASA has certified over 400,000 people through our education program that is offered at over 300 professional sailing schools worldwide. The recent America’s Cup exposed the world to the excitement of multihull sailing. We saw an opportunity to work with Hobie to build on that excitement to bring a whole new group of sailors into our great sport,” says Cindy Shabes, President of the ASA.

The American Sailing Association has been the leader in U.S. sailing education for over three decades. ASA’s worldwide network of over 300 professionally accredited sailing schools have trained and certified over 400,000 students to ASA’s Educational Standards. Based in Los Angeles, CA, the ASA continues to strive to promote the sport of sailing through its multi-tiered educational system and membership program. www.asa.com

Since 1950, Hobie has been in the business of shaping a unique lifestyle based around fun, water, and quality products. From their headquarters in Oceanside, California, Hobie Cat Company manufactures, distributes, and markets an impressive collection of eco-sensitive watercraft worldwide. These include an ever-expanding line of recreation and racing sailboats, pedal-driven and paddle sit-on-top recreation and fishing kayaks, inflatable kayaks, fishing boats and stand-up paddleboards plus a complementary array of parts and accessories. www.hobiecat.com

Post subject: Why Not the Pearl?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Why the Hobie Pearl.......

In my humble opinion the Pearl is the best option of revitalizing one design cat racing. My selfish opinion would ask the Hobie 20 be built again but I realize that the boat is far to difficult to sail for a first time sailor. "Not a beginner boat"

I love the original Hobie 18, but, I get that it is too expensive to build for what they can be sold for. Also....1970s technology.

This brings us to the Hobie Pearl. It is already designed and done.

The Pearl brings more modern design with the cost benefit of more modern manufacturing. The boat is not animalistic to sail like the 20 and it can be depowered easily with furling sails. It also has the "Third Sail Option" This is fantastic for those who want a faster boat, and, the fact that you can furl the third sail means the crew is not killing their selves on the front end of the boat. (my wife could handle it). I do think the wings should be an option.

Retractable daggers means that the Hobie 16 guys won't freak out when they move up to this boat and laymen have a forgiving design to learn on.

Is the Pearl the most current boat.?.....No. But it is an upgrade from Roto mold boats that will never attract competitors. It isn't some ridiculous F18 spin boat that costs a million and requires a 20-30 year old crews. The Pearl is a boat that can bring one deign racing into this century. H16, H18, H20 skippers could all find reasons to go that way. All these people out there disgruntle with trying to keep up with the F18 world ($$) would have reasons to go there. Dealers could sell it...

If Hobie "Long Beach" doesn't want to do it......Licence it to some one........or design us something different.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

Post subject: Re: Why Not the Pearl?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Who is
Quote:
Hobie "Long Beach"
?

The pearl is nothing more than a Hobie Tiger with centerboards and was never successful on Europe. Fyi... Every time we introduced a new model for racing, the existing classes were split. That is the risk. I think there would have to be strong consensus from sailors for a new Hobie Class for us to consider it again... there is not from what I know.

The debate rages on what is best to revitalize the Hobie racing market. This has been going on since the mid 1980's when sailing started dropped off here. There is no magic "boat" pill. ALL of sailing is off and racing has been dying in just about every class out there.

At this point I would push Hobie 16 as the dominant class. Why fight it?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
The debate rages on what is best to revitalize the Hobie racing market. This has been going on since the mid 1980's when sailing started dropped off here. There is no magic "boat" pill. ALL of sailing is off and racing has been dying in just about every class out there.

There is a "magic boat pill", and it is called social media marketing with Fun, Exciting & Awesome Hobie videos on YouTube! If Hobie could get one YouTube sailing video to go "Viral" it could change Hobie sailing forever. I'm not saying this is a easy thing to do, I'm just saying it is possible. With that being said the more Fun, Exciting & Awesome Hobie YouTube videos the better!!! Image Is Everything!!!

100 GREATEST HITS OF YOUTUBE IN 4 MINUTES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BudhFVnN2o0&index=1&list=PL6AE4481D43F3E5E4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

While viral video is huge... we have had a few of our own viral experiences in our history... I doubt it is going to dramatically change the face of Hobie Racing, but everything helps.

What I am saying is splitting classes again is not the likely answer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Really? The 16 is the answer? Wow.

-Winning crews weigh 285lbs..?
-1960s tech
-Fewer and Fewer lake venues

Splitting the fleet was an issue 20 years ago when there was 5 fleets. H14, H16, H17, H18, H20....

H18 will die with H20. We aren't talking about spitting the remaining H16 fleet. The issue is a boat to replace all the others in a new one design class. 95% of the people not on 16s won't go back and sail 16s.

The Tiger was not a beginner boat. The Pearl is better suited to a sustainable one design with Family features.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How big is the Pearl? I bought a Getaway, and like it. But I would have liked something a little more high performance. I like center or dagger boards-I think it makes pinching and tacking much easier and more efficient. I like wings. I really like the, don't know what to call it, the second jib?

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

I can combine your topic with your 2013 "One Design" topic that has 13 pages... same discussion.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45197

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting topic. At 210 lbs, I won't be buying an H16 unless I want something for solo sailing. I'd like to lose some weight, but realistically, I won't get below 190.

I do like the H18. I'm learning a ton about cats and I can still sail it solo.

F18 looks like fun, but I need to learn more before I can commit to it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not a racer. Well, I might race now and then but I'm a day sailor. The Dry Tortugas thing has me rethinking the boat I sail, and during that re-think I saw that the 20/21 segment is gone. I hadn't realized that before. Heck, the whole 18-21 segment is gone, really. If I want a cruising cat with current parts support, it ain't coming from Hobie. Replacement parts for the 18 and 20 are drying up, and I assume the 21 is similar.

If the Pearl is F18-based, it's probably not going to have the tough hulls that a beach cat needs.

The H16 is a blast, but if the H18 were still supported it would be hard to justify the H16 against it for the sailing I do. The tenuous forward buoyancy is just outdated. The Getaway is pretty attractive to me but it's no larger than the 16.

All that said, I remember Matt's comments from a year or two ago where he said there is no market for high-performance catamarans.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

wscotterwin wrote:
Why the Hobie Pearl.......

In my humble opinion the Pearl is the best option of revitalizing one design cat racing.

I have to agree with wscotterwin on this one. There is a big hole in a cat market that a Pearl could fill. T2 was nice addition, but it is not even upgrade from H16. It just competes between Getaway and H16. There is nothing beyond H16 until Wild Cat, which is too much for most.

On personal note, I have $15k+ sitting on "get-something-fun" account and collecting a low interest. With the way it goes, the wife will use for a grand piano or something, and I will have to settle for some old and cheap H18. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

But, revitalize one-design racing with an obsolete F18 boat? There are already Tigers around, but they wouldn't qualify because they are not the same boat.

If people are going to switch like that (to really high-performance boats), they might look at A-cats instead. Like Matt said, you risk splitting the existing H16 fleet.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

who is "Hobie Long Beach" ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

speaking of the Pearl, what happened to all of those Hobie Euro boats? is Hobie no longer making them? the Max, the Dragoon, the Twixxy? when Hobie USA acquired Hobie Europe did they stop production of those? what happened to www.hobie-cat.net? wasnt that the Hobie Europe web site?

what happened to all that cool gear they used to sell on there? lifevests, jackets, hats, shirts, shorts, etc?

I remember there was some excitement with that merger. nothing seems to have changed on this end.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next