Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nacra 570 sport help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First of all I KNOW this is a Hobie Forum and I'm asking for help about a Nacra, but the boat was just too nice to pass up. I have no intention of selling my 16 and actually plan to start attending local division 6 regattas this year, so in the interest of rendering aid to a sailor in peril... HELP!!!

I am the new owner of a very good condition Nacra 570 Sport. Unfortunately the previous owner did not know much about the rigging and the manual I received was very generic and not specific to my boat. As such and I have some questions.

1. Is storing the boat with the mast up on a trailer a problem for wear of the boat? I'd prefer to keep it in as ready to sail condition as possible to maximize on the water time.

2. There is a 2 inch stainless ring shackled to forestay adjuster. Is the spinnaker pole supposed to fit through something between the bridle wires? Or does it just stay suspended on its own wires and remain tensioned by them back against the front crossbar. It could be that this ring is simply a point to tie a painter to.

3. On the spinnaker pole there is a v-jam cleat. Is this for the spinnaker tack line? There is also one on the front crossbar. Am i to understand the tackline runs through both? If so, how?

4. How do I tension the rig? Do I just stand the mast up and then pull wires and re-shackle them until its within spec?

5. The jib halyard is a complete mystery to me. It is a 1 mm (really tiny) line attached to a wire that runs up to a wire pulley near the mast tang. Problem is I just don't see how this little polyester line can hold tension on the jib! Also there is a ring and pig tail that is attached to the forestay at the mast tang that from my research fits with the S-hook design I've seen in other Nacra manuals but the existing system does not use it. Any thoughts?

Please help, I've tried to find documentation and manuals online (short of emailing Nacra directly), but I can't find anything specific for my boat. I love Hobie for the support they offer and the amazing group of sailors, I am only slightly regretting buying this boat now that I see how little support is offered for it (from what I can see)

Post subject: Re: Nacra 570 sport help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure some others here would have experince with them... I do not.

The NACRA site has some info:

https://www.nacrasailing.com/nacradownloads/

Manual: https://www.nacrasailing.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/nacra-500-570-blast-i-17-i-18-f-18-i-20-manuals.pdf

Basic questions...

1) Mast up is OK. Be sure the rig is snug and restrain the mast from rotating. Rocking back and forth will wear the rig and standing rigging faster.

2) Yes, it appears to go through the ring.

3) Would need the manual. May be tack on the pole and halyard on the crossbar. Unless that is for a jib furling system.

4) Yes, typically you loosen a shroud to de-rig and then re-tension the shroud when setting up. You may have to go back and forth from side to side to get it tensioned evenly the first time.

5) Likely that is just the luff tension after the jib is hoisted and locked on the ring.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Nacra 570 sport help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Suggest you post your questions on thebeachcats.com forum. It is a general beach cat site with members that sail various different cats. I’d be surprised if someone there didn’t have first hand experience with your boat.

sm