Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why I love Cat sailing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My dad has a Catalina 27. I tend to be his boat boy. The Catalina 27 has a funky exaust system that is made out of galvanized 2 1/4" pipe from a hardware store. The design has a blind apendix of pipe that works as a trap to keep water from backwashing into the motor. This causes salt water to sit in the pipe after each sail. Salt water and galvanized pipe, great design. Every three to five years or so you have to replace the system, but access is really tight, and I am not as small and/or fit as I once was. There I was, hanging upside down in the lazerette, pulling and pushing on tubing to force it onto the pipe mess to allow me to double clamp it all back together. Once I had forced the parts together, my next challenge was pushing and squirming my way out of the hole as the sun was setting. I was thinking "I am going to die upside down, stuck in the lazerette."

Cats, no motor, just fun.

Post subject: Funny stuff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funny story :lol:

I suggest you apply tanning oil liberally as a lubricant and dress sparsely

I miss my Catalina 25 for reasons like that too. I really miss worrying in the middle of the night that my boat will wind up shore because the wind is howling and the weather report calls for more high winds. I miss washing and waxing the top AND bottom of a 25 foot boat. I miss applying bottom anti-fouling paint whose primary ingredient is a known carcinogen.
I miss trying to get the family to go to the lake with me, and, once you get there, they want to play putt-putt or go to the go-kart track. I miss needing a small crew to step the mast. I miss dodging everyone trying to get into and out of the marina. I miss the ritual of "winterization" after 4 months of use.

Oh wait - I don't miss those things at all, that's why I bought a 17 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funny! I nearly lost my Martha's Vineyard sweatshirt to the lazerette in my uncles tartan 37. Diving into the lazerette in an emergency to get out some life vests... it was a blast. Thankfully it was only a 4 or 5 inch rip that was easily sewn!

Post subject: no exhaust
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dang Hammond, I did that job twice on my old Cat 27. The first time I used galvy--it was about $30. Then, about 3 years later, I found a place that had stainless pipe it was $145 but worth every cent! Never did that job again! I used to work at Oceanside Marine Center down near you. I called it quits one day when I was upside down in the aft lazarette working on a tranny leak. As my time in this progressed in this position, I slowly sunk lower and lower into the bowels of the boat. Finally, the job was complete and it was time to pull myself out. No way, I was stuck. I called a few of my co-workers and after about 15 minutes of yelling they finally came up to help--wait, more like stand around and laugh at me. Tons of fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks guys. :shock: I was going to sell my H-18..... I'm thinking of going into a partenership with two others on a monoslug, or not? At least it would be in fresh water and have an outboard.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net