Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a small 2 inch rip in my Tiger tramp. So I order a new tramp. (I'm sent the wrong one) I send it back... wait 4-5 months for one to come from Hobie Europe - it arrives mid winter.

Today - the week before the first regatta - I go to install it. No instructions so I just do it and soaping water solution seems to really help. I get the old one off with it's 2 inch seam rip.

Harder is to get the new one on. I get it on after a couple hours with my wife helping. Near the end it stops. We pull...we mix for soap and lather it up. One more pull - RIP same place - this one on new tramp (800.00) in the same place.
New tramp and 6 months down the drain. I think it might be easier to sell the tiger than to remove this and try to replace again.
I'd still have a 16, 17, 18SX right?

= (

old tramp

New tramp.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does Hobie ever offer in such a situation a replacement at their cost? so I'm not out another 800. and they give up the profit this time around?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Return it for repair or replacement through your dealer.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Not a product defect BTW... installation error and possibly lacing error.

It's an easy repair for an upholstery shop or by getting it back to Hobie Cat through your dealer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My dealer is in Chicago area. (I ordered it via website).

I've been talking to them, but they seemed to stop replying. (Unless he's away).

I never got to lacing it because I never got it on. At the time I took this photo I wasn't sure why it ripped... But upon removal and laying it on my original tramp. It's cut different. There is about 7 inches of bolt rope on each side that stopped it from being installed. Since we saw the 7" of puckered extra material... we assumed - pull harder. Then the back seams at the corner don't appear heat welded like the fronts. 1. They don't over lap. Instead one piece ENDS into the other. And 2. you would think that the material that runs down the sides (toward aft section) would be continuous and extend TO THE END AFT CORNER... so that when you pull on the back corners. You're pulling on the entire SIDE STRIP - not only 1" of the aft strip. In which case it would not rip loose. I don't know if that's design error or manufacturing flaw.

My problem is -that I ordered it - and my dealer sent me one from Hobie. (but was wrong tramp) ok, they had two types during that year I'm told. I sent it back they ordered a new one from Europe. I waited several months for the container to hit the US. And now this. I showed it to the guys at the last regatta and all felt it should be replaced by Hobie. I asked John Bauldry and Chris Tuckfield if it's normal to get a razor out and start hacking up a new 800.00 tramp from Hobie to make it fit. And they and others all said no. I said good because I'd be a bit uneasy about cutting edges and bolt ropes to allow it to fit. If I cut wrong? or leave a cut edge it could tear. The dealer had been very helpful, but recent posts have done unanswered so far. UPDATE I missed his reply (my junk box) and he responded instantly to my second email. They've been very supportive and fast with support and contact into. I recommend highly...

The dealer is Bob Pilz - Sailing World, Inc. aka Bikes 'n' Boats
4507 RAY STREET
CRYSTAL LAKE, IL

What's worse - I reinstalled the original tramp. (went on easy) because "IT FITS" laced it up again and used it at last weeks CSYC regatta Grosse Pointe. But the reason I'm replacing it is because it ripped similarly in the corner. (it was like that before I bought the boat used. This was actually Matt Bounds Tiger at one point).

Again that side strip of reinforcement material should run all the way from front to back. So when pulling on it you pull the entire side strip back - not just the back 1 inch of aft material. I'm no product engineer, but it's very logical and easy to figure it would be much stonger and would never give like this did.

Matt Miller: - I went through a can of McLube getting it installed... And upon removing and laying it on top of the original tramp. It is not the same.
I figured I'd show it to Matt Bounds at one of the regattas or North Cape or Iowa's (17 nationals) if he's there. All the real experienced guys at CSYC said no - it should not have done that and I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CUT IT OR BOLT ROPE TO ALLOW IT TO FIT. I'm very disappointed, and how it's handled will be important because it will help me decide if my next boat is a C2 or Wildcat? I own 6 hobies at present. 16, 17, 2(18's) 18SX, Tiger. (I will have 2 more 16's in a week). In my experience with Hobie products I've not run into anything poorly done. I could have gotten my old tramp repaired "if I wanted repaired". I think jumping to the conclusion that it's install/lace up error without seeing them stacked/compared is a bit unfair. You never asked "how do they differ"? you only assumed it was made to fit. (as I did !!!).

Ron

Last edited by Rojoyinc on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Rojoyinc wrote:
I'm very disappointed, and how it's handled will be important because it will help me decide if my next boat is a C2 or Wildcat? I own 6 hobies at present. 16, 17, 2(18's) 18SX, Tiger. (I will have 2 more 16's in a week).

Warranty has already offered you the solution you desire May 13th:

Jbernier wrote:
Return it for repair or replacement through your dealer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thanks - I didn't know jbernier was warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I contacted the dealer again who responded right away and pointed out that I somehow missed his previous replies. (very likely because I switched to Gmail and (don't like how it works).
They have been great - and really both tramp problems. (wrong one first time, this one not cut to fit 2nd time) have not been any fault or error of Bob or Sailing World.
He's been supportive and gone out of his way to assist me.

Wanted to clarify that. I said recent replies had so far gone unanswered. (I missed his reply) my 2nd attempt was responded to quickly.