Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All
Very, Very new to cat sailing
I have brought a H16 and have taken it out solo a couple of times and capsized due to the fact that I havent been able to de cleat the main to exhaust the gust.
My history has been 16 ft skiffs and moths with un cleated mains with vangs where you would play the main and tiller constantly to balance the boat through lifts and luls.

here is the million dollar question I am aware that the main block on the H16 is also the leech tension and yes this is probably a dumb question but should I be playing the mainsheet or the traveller to balance the boat in the gusts??

Is it a case of watchng for the gust on the water and pointing higher before impact or just plain practice.

Any advice would be great

Regards,

Grant

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

practice.

if you're having a difficult time uncleating, try changing the position of the cleat mount. there are screws that come out and the adjustment can be swung up one hole (or two). this allows more room to snap the line down to uncleat. it may also make it easier to get unintentional releases. trial and error.

in gusty conditions or heavy air, you can try travelling down the main a bit. a rapid release of the traveler will spill more air, but it doesn't always get out quick enough. releasing the main sheet is a quicker way to spill air, just not as much.

of course if conditions are such that you can see the gust coming, then you can de-power by dropping the traveler ahead of the puff, then add a released main sheet. in choppy water it is not always easy to see the gust coming until you've learned the signs.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You definitely need to sail with your "head out of the boat" in stronger conditions to watch for puffs. Dump some sheet and steer up into the gust. The trick is to bring the sheet right back in to "squirt" through the gust. A little luff up and dropping the sheet an arm length is usually all that's needed. If you're consistently over-powered, then drop the traveler down a few inches.

You will also want a main sheet system that works well too. A set of Harken cleats makes all the difference in being able to uncleat quickly. With some practice, you will be able to pop the sheet out of the cleat with a quick flick of the wrist. Then (if you're on the trap) straighten your arm and sit up to let out the sheet. As the gust passes, just lean back out to pull the sheet in and lift up to engage the cam cleat.

sm

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cheers Fella's
Great advise ill let you know how it goes.
Thanks for responding

Grant