Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We all know the most common Hobie upgrades (new sails, EPO’s, higher purchase downhaul/mainsheet blocks, wings, etc.), but I’m curious what else others might have done to improve convenience, comfort or performance on your boat!

What upgrades, add ons and convenience items do you have on your Hobie that you won’t find in a Hobie Cat Catalog?

I’ve got a few that I think really make the sail much more enjoyable and/or more thrilling:

1) Bluetooth Speaker –---- Great to listen to music when the winds lighten up! Waterproof too! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWT ... ge_o07_s00
2) Floating Smartphone Pouch –---- Use your smartphone on the water without fear of losing or ruining it! (Waterproof, of course!) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LN ... ge_o02_s00
3) Bottleports –---- two of these guys installed in the aft deck provides some handy cup holders! (If only they fit in the 6” ports, too!) http://www.bottleport.com/
4) GPS Apps –---- Specifically these two: “Speedometer Maps and Tracks” by Yadvinder Mann records top & avg speed, total distance and time, and records your track. “Sailboat GPS Tracker and Data Logger” by Ndili Technologies, Inc, records your track and metadata - you can click on any part of your track and find out what your speed and course was, and share your track online! - http://n1.ndili.com/NTechWeb/r/1IN95ZRCASNS/tracks/en
5) Wind Apps –---- I’ve got a few just so I can compare different weather models and get a consensus. My current favorites are Wunderground and SailFlow.
6) Oschen/Oxen Jib Blocks ----- Self Ratcheting Blocks, much, much easier to adjust the jibsheet without having to shake the rig to un-cleat the jib!
7) Safety equipment ----- Waterproof Marine Radio, Bilge Pump, All Around White Light, Dry Bags and Flares

And just out of curiosity, top speeds, anyone? I’ve recorded 20.40 mph [32.8 kph] downwind on my H18, but I bet one of you chute rigged cats has easily hit 25[40]!?

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Going to mention an obvious item but it is amazing how many don't have a wind indicator...telo-cat bridle vane. Also, it may be a personal preference but I had a set of oxen blocks 20 years ago but switched back after a few years since I sailed solo on my 18M or with a young child on board most of the time. My thoughts are there is plenty of angle adjustment of the jib cleat to suit just about anyone's preference as far as the uncleating angle.

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

True, telo-cat is really a must have. I had a simple bridle fly, but I think the reference arms are really crucial for gauging point of sail and proper course, though the bridle fly is more sensitive in light air.

I don't mind the seaway, honestly, but I wish the strength of the jam cleat could be adjusted down or something. My jib sheet really likes to get, well... Jammed. I'm actually using one of each (I don't have a pair of the same), so my boat feels a bit like a Frankenstein boat to the crew, lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trapeze harness - Being a social sailor and spending hours on the water adventuring around the bay the nappy style really helps for comfort. I love the Zhik T1/T2 series myself as you can see in my photo i can spend all day out on trap literally until my legs give up!
Video recorder - GoPro's are fantastic and provide endless mounting options @ high quality!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't believe I forgot the GoPro! Definitely agree on that one! I like either a head mounted perspective, or a boom mounted perspective (looking forward), as I find it a little more interesting than bow mounted facing aft. Haven't experimented with placement too much, however.

I've never tried other brands of harnesses. I like Hobie's harness while on the wire, but they're a bit thick/uncomfortable on the tramp.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like mounting on head for POV, bridal, mast top, boom and tiller. Agree the forward (aft) view is a nice prospective.
The thing I found with the Hobie types is the leg straps which ride into the groin area. Nappy style all the way!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Most importantly, a pop holder.

Tunes and a Hobie storage bag.

Righting bar tucked away, ready for use.(thank you again "FastFriend")

Nifty ring for cat wheels.

Travel anchor. (We have assorted beach bar destinations)

Hook up for the travel anchor or home base mooring.. I have a larger version of the travel anchor buried in the sand bar all summer at the fleet's home beach.

Last edited by wattfarm on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:38 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wattfarm, I LOVE some of those ideas! I'm curious how you got your cup holder on the shroud? And what's going on with your righting line under the tramp?

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought about not telling you so you would check out our Fleet (safe mast up storage, compact utility tractor, family atmosphere, members with sailing and racing experience, parties, reasonable), but... the drink holder is held on with zip-ties and electrical tape. The blue and white stretchy righting line is just for something to hold onto when you're capsized and standing on the hull. Don't use it at all to right the boat.