Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie in Flight Pics
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We used to sail in with the surf, jibe and fly off the tops of the waves on the way back out. Of course, wind and surf conditions have to be perfect.

Does anybody have a pic of a hobie in flight ???

There is an old one in the new catalog (that's what reminded me of it), but the quality isn't too good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have a picture but here is an old video of an 18 jumping a wave and coming completely out of the water. It looks like the same one in the catalog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9frzM-8hEe8

2020 Getaway
http://www.fleet297.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JunoJim,

We've spent literally all day trying to hit the wave just right :)

A couple of times my son has said we were completely airborn (although I'm not convinced) then he's like "Let's do it again!" On a lake EVERYTHING has to be "perfect". :shock: These boats are a blast aren't they? Good to have you on the forum.

Check out these photos powercat sent me yesterday

http://www.hobie-cat.net/site_gb/index.php?phototeque,la_torche

Post subject: Sharing the Wind
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is from the old "Sharing the Wind" video. You should see what they do to that 18. Sail it across a sand bar, dagger board sking. etc. It is a HOOT!!

Doug

Last edited by DougHobie17 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, Try to do what you did on the H-18 with a Tiger, I dare you too. :roll:

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject: WOW !!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent video and pics - Thanks !!!

I wish I could copy that video, but it looks like no way... I did get a fairly decent screenshot...

BTW - I had to get rid of my H14T - too much pressure from the condo people - (they didn't like the 14 "blocking thier view")...

Anyway, I just got a Bravo (which I can wheel down and back home) - will let you know if that'll jump waves - LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D Yep, they do not make them like that anymore. You need to see the rest of the video. Dean Froom skippered this Hobie 18 in Hawaii for the film. No way the "new high tech" boats would take this treatment. We bought our Hobie 18 right after this film was published.

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:14 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Hobie has some great vintage videos available. Sharing the Wind & a Moment's Glory and Hobie Film Festival,great H14 footage! We sell a ton of each during the year, especially this time for stocking stuffers!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Life Magazine cover 1970

Post subject: That's it !!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pbisesi - That's the photo I've been taliking about !!! I wish I could find a real good copy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The cover of the February 6,1970 issue of LIFE Magazine was actually Robert Redford promoting Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Inside was an article titled The Cat That Flies that included the flying 14 picture.

Copies are available for purcahse at www.2neatmagazines.com/life/1970.html .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Yep, they do not make them like that anymore. You need to see the rest of the video. Dean Froom skippered this Hobie 18 in Hawaii for the film. No way the "new high tech" boats would take this treatment.

I have seen some very interesting things that the Hobie Tiger can do on videos here on this site and on other sites that are quite inpressive. These boat sail pretty tough and take it well.
I think I have seen as many broken H16, 17, 18's.
Thier rudder gudgens pull out, also the H16 rigs come down, and that hook on the H17 center board breaking off, come on.

Usually when its really blowing out the last one of the water are die hard H16s a couple of 17s and the Tigers.

If just pounding on your boat and having take it is the objective then the solid old boats are the ticket.

If you are looking for something not quite on the old menu that sail really great, then looking at one of Hobies new boats might be attractive. Especialy for those who are looking for a faster ride or more bells and wistles.

Having all the options available from Hobie is what makes them a great company. Hobie's commitment to us is out standing (bringing back the H17, due to customer desire) it shows that we are dealing a company that is supporting us. And yep they still do make them like that or we wouldnt be buying them.

Just my 2cent,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The sunkist ad from 84 is a good one as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtSxby7EFlk

Double trapped wave jumping on an 18 is as good as it gets, because you know the boat isn't going to break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah Mike, I agree. Hobie is a great Company. I was thinking about it the other day. A company would have to be pretty solid and have a darn good product to even have an open forum like this for customers to talk about its products. I know other products that I sell that closed their forums off due to customer criticism. I guess their products weren't as quality oriented. Just the fact that Hobie hosts this forum, shows how much Hobie IS actually interested in its customers.

I see people talking about the Tiger and other "high tech boats" as far as strength etc. I'm not sure where it's all coming from. I sail the SF bay and Santa Cruz all the time with huge surf and high winds--definitely on the top end of challenging sailing conditions. I sail the FX-one extensively in conditions up to 30 kts. I've sailed in 20' swells jumping off the back and plowing into the face of the next one. We've tried tow in surfing at The Lane with a Tiger. I've kept my FX on the beach for 2 years, and pretty much sail the heck out of it. I've never broken a thing. I am not easy on my gear by any means. These boats are tough, high quality products. I would do ANYTHING on a Tiger, that I would do on an old school 17--hands down. And, I guarantee that I could break an old school 17 before my FX. They are not as weak as some may think.
So, let's hear it, why do people think the new boats are not as strong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have believed that the high tech boats are more fragile because....that is what I read on here.

I think the real test will be in 30 years when the Tigers are still sailing. I have #242 Hobie 14 that was upgraded to the Turbo model. It was treated pretty kindly but just that fact that a 40 year old boat still floats much more fly a hull in impressive. Also I know that the high tech boats are much more fragile on the beach. I mean you can run the old 16 up on the beach all day long, but I think I might be more careful on the Tiger.

As for Hobie being a great company....there is no question! It has already been stated that by supporting this forum is impressive but what I feel is far more impressive is their customer support. Go look at the kayak board, they can post on there and within just a day or two someone at Hobie will have figured out a way to fix the problem .

Now granted I did just buy another companies boat but I am keeping the Hobie close. And hopefully someday I will be buying a brand new Hobie!