Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, our problem is that we don't have a local dealer in the Portland/Vancouver area.

The closest sailing dealer is several hours south near Bend, or several hours north to Seattle. The kayak situation is a bit closer with the nearest dealer in St. Helens to the west.

While Dan at Hobie Cats NW does a great job of supporting Hobie Sailing, it's just too far to be local - you can't drop in for an emergency batten or pin, or hang out and drool at the new boats.

We had one prospective dealer, but he's a one-man operation that already deals in Laser, Tasars, and several other dingy lines and he decided (probably rightly so) that he couldn't support the Hobies without overextending himself or hiring (volunteer or minimum wage) a helper.

So, I know there are a few dealers that frequent this board - what does it take to set up a dealer from the ground up? I believe that there is enough interest in the area in the rotomold and kayak lines, and the racing/fiberglass interest is growing slowly, but how do you tell what is enough interest to float the business? The rec sailors are especially quiet, too.

Can you get away with being a small shop that only carries Hobie, or do you pretty much need to have other product lines (gear, general sailing/boating stuff, etc) to be an storefront and not just an internet or mail-order business?

Do you need a waterfront or near-waterfront location? Columbia River waterfront is mostly tremendously expensive and full of houses, houseboats, and marinas (Washington side and Janzen Beach area), highly industrial (Port of Vancouver, watch out for the giant Subaru ships!! Portland: the Willamette is busy and pretty nasty, I wouldn't get any of that water on me by choice).

I am no business major, but I do have some knowledge of setting up a new business (a friend and I had a very serious business plan to set up on internet cafe/gaming business but stopped short of looking for funds when we realized we both needed the health insurance and higher pay of our current jobs). For this, I don't even know where to start, but I am excited that there is a source of information here that supports local dealers and would not be completely territorial and protective of their secrets.

This is at least a 2-years-off plan and I am just dipping my toes in it and testing the water (ha-ha-ha!...oh wait). Anyone able to help me get on the right tack?

-Tim

Passionate Hobie sailor.
Lots of enthusiasum.
Not so much skill :)

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well... I'm not the boss. But I can tell you some of the details.

We sell Hobie Cat (kayaks and cats). We also sell kayaks from Wilderness Systems, Innova, Native Watercraft, Heritage and occasionally Cobra. We sell windsurfing gear from quite a few vendors. We sell some RC sailboat stuff (mostly Victoria related). We are a Thule rack dealer. We have an in-house sail loft (repairs and new).

We are not on the water, though within a 1 hour drive of 6 major lakes. We are in an industrial building in a not so good part of town. We have about 7000 sq ft of total floor space (warehouse and retail). We have only had a serious e-retail presence for only about a year. Store/loft has been in this location for about 25 years in some form or fashion, with several mutations along the way.

There are currently 3 of us on the retail side and 2 on the loft side.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:45 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I would contact Hobie Directly, set up a meeting with the area rep for kayaks and talk to the factory on the sailboat side of things. There are minimum requirements for parts, sailboats, kayaks that must be kept and maintained throughout the year. I don't want to talk about money on an open board like this, Hobie will be able to help you out with the money side of it. you will need a store front and regular business hours. I started off with just Hobie, realized FAST, I needed much more to stay afloat. My rentals kept me in Business the first several years! the fact I was 17 also helped, I had no personal bills! if your going to do it to make money your going to fade fast, if your looking to work long hours, for little if any pay but get that good feeling that you promoting the sport the jump on in!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sunjammers wrote:
if your going to do it to make money your going to fade fast, if your looking to work long hours, for little if any pay but get that good feeling that you promoting the sport the jump on in!

Amen. The most fun I've had working is working here. But if I hadn't already "retired", I'd have never been able to afford it.

As we joke around here, if you want to make a million bucks in the sailing business...

Start with two million.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the replies!

If someone from Hobie catches this can they get someone to contact me about how to get started?

Considering the area I am in, it would be a kayak and sailing shop. Rentals would certainly be viable (though I shudder at the insurace and legalese you'd have to keep to stave off the inevitable lawsuits) especially with kayaks and say, the AI as there are many rivers and lakes in the area that are great to explore. Sailboat rentals would be less so - the rivers are swift-flowing and low winds (Portland/Vancouver) or unpredictable and often "nuking" (Gorge) - though perhaps Getaways with Cheeta...

Anyways, getting too far into it for now.

Quote:
if your going to do it to make money your going to fade fast, if your looking to work long hours, for little if any pay but get that good feeling that you promoting the sport the jump on in!

Well, I wouldn't be in it to make money in terms of "riches" but I would have to make a living wage eventually - my wife is not the stay-at-home mom type (we tried it for a while, drove her mad) so it's not like I'd need to be the primary breadwinner...I don't know. At least it's something to look into!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pssst, Tim...if you want to make some money open a West Marine franchise.

I was off the wall enthusiastic about hanging a sailboat shingle a little more than a year ago. I've seen others with rolling Hobie stores and said I could do that. The kayak business is VERY successful for Hobie. The rules of engagement are a little different than when Brad or the Dogs shop opened. There are minimums to start (numbers of boats to purchase). They'll not let your area infringe on other dealers (although I think you covered that). I talked to Hobie and to Vanguard. I talked to business mentors.

As these guys said already, if you want to work 80 hours a week for little pay and never have time to go sailing unless you use Aunt Martha's inheritance so you can go to Aruba in the dead of Winter and rent a boat, I'll pass on to you exactly what the Vanguard rep told me, "Your asking my advise John? Don't do it".

And please talk to Hobie for yourself. You'll never know unless you ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Dog wrote:
As we joke around here, if you want to make a million bucks in the sailing business...

Start with two million.

Brian C

Whoa! Make a million with two million? That's a 50% return! I gotta get into this business right away!

Just kidding and I know what you mean. Gonna contact Hobie anyways and see what info I can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hobie dealer I work with has done this well. First he is in Myrtle Beach, tourist trap. He built a building with 5 retail slots all linked together. He uses 1 of them and rents the others. They are a scuba shop, bicycle shop, surf shop and a climbing store. On the water he runs a rental setup with boats for rent with or without a skipper, parasail and banana boat rides. In his store he sells Hobie cats and kayaks, wilderness yaks, kite boards, wind surfers, sunglasses, thule racks and clothing. In winter he sells skis and snowboards, plans trips, and sells ski clothing. He carries Tommy Bahama clothing, Keen footwear, Oakley and Smith optics, etc. Spyder and Burton ski wear. High end garments. Bikinis as well. Has used boats and parts, rope, wire and a great selection of Hobie parts. In the 70's he was one of Hobies best dealers, won many awards for sales. He has been very successful at this by expanding his opportunities to make money. He offers a full line up of training for each sport and schedules many yaking trips in the coastal marshes. I think if you look at whats popular around you and incorporate those products into your mix you can be successful in this venture. I would seriously look at winter sports and cycling. Kite boarding and windsurfing. Maybe wakeboards and boats in a separate business. Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ncmbm has an excellent point...

If you're in a good retail location, definitely use some space to sell clothing, packs, etc... The margin on some of that stuff is pretty incredible, and it sells even during the "off" season.

And once you're in the industry, you can attend cool shows like Surf Expo...

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My local dealer has me a little ticked off. To the point where I'm ready to mail order my future business to some one else. He's about 30 miles away, so driving for a wasted trip is aggravating. Like ordering parts. Weeks later the parts come in, and I drive to his location in mid afternoon, only to have him say he's "closed". But wait! I just want to pick up the parts I ordered that you said were in. "Sorry, I'm closed". " But your here, I'm here. can't I get my parts?"........ "Sorry I'm closed."

It'd be cheaper for me to pay shipping than to make wasted trips to some where where some one obviously doesn't need my money.

Any dealers out there interested in mail order??? Let me know...

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:05 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

I think most dealers are open to mail order, why was he closed, in the off season when I work the store myself I often have to close for lunch, and to do demos, we forward the phones to our cell phone so we can still keep in touch, my locals know to call when they are on there way this time of year. Some days I close in teh morning or afternoon on scheduald days to be open if I need to go film a fishing show with the kayaks or something. I agree with you on how agervating it is to drive and the store be closed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:07 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

John Eaton wrote:
I'll pass on to you exactly what the Vanguard rep told me, "Your asking my advise John? Don't do it".

Vanguard is only interested in promoting there factory stores, they could care less if anyone else is around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Brad, I'm upset because he was there. He was standing there talking to me, during what should have been normal working hours, and had my parts. THAT is the real kicker. I mean I ended up driving 120 miles r/t to pick up $150 in parts that would have cost $5 to mail.

I used to own a retail business, and know it's tough. Personally, I never would have turned away a potential customer, especially one with money in hand.

I'll email you soon about a mast tang I'm looking for.

Thanks

TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:39 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

yea we have hours, but if were here we'll sure take the money! I would never talk to someone and not let them in, not sure anyone in there right mind would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah... Standing there, but not taking the money for parts in stock because "we're closed" is pure bonehead. I've done thousands of dollars of business when we were "closed". How can someone not know that something like that is absolutely going to piss off a customer? Amazing.... :? There must be some serious burn-out going on.

Hey Rockets, is there any chance you can get your local dealer to just ship the parts to you when he gets them in? I gotta think that a mediocre local dealer is still better than no dealer.

Brian C