Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First of all hello everyone I ve just registered and happy to be here. I've rented a 15-16 about three times without probs but with low wind , first time with an instructor. Last time with a friend we capsized and would like some advice on why this could have happened and if it's frequent. The doubt I have is we there we were reaching or hailing when I takled and capsized and what are the normal manoeuvre techniques to avoid that.
We were going pretty fast I reckon 15 kt. My friend at the bar wasn't able to tackle fast enough to change side so the boat was stopping and the wind was keep pushing same side. So I tried as I was tackling no problem during the day I think because I was pushing the bar more strongly hence giving more momentum to the boat. However this time I believe the point of the outside hull submerged and the cat capsized during the takle. At least this is what I feel happened!. But as I said it could be I was reaching instead of hauling therefore during takle the sail had more pressure? Normally what is the correct manoeuvre should I release the mainsail while tacking? We released the job but not mainsail as I thought we would loose momentum. Maybe because we were so fast the cat can't really takle that fast because of its structure (no keel) and would capsize regardless what you do?
Sorry for the beginner questions any help would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot
S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Capsizing the boat is or rather shouldn't be a frequent thing unless you want it to be. Most everyone has accidentally capsized in a big puff, but it can be avoided by watching the weather and staying off the water when the wind exceeds your capability.

The Hobie 16 can be a challenge to tack when the wind is blowing hard, but if you do a search on this site, you will find many recommendations on how to do it well.
Generally you would start close hauled, head downwind slightly to increase speed.
Push the tiller in a firm smooth turn into and through the wind.
Just before the boat becomes dead into the wind release the main sail a bit so it will allow the boat to rotate through the eye of the wind.
Wait for the jib to back-wind. As the jib fills from the back side, release it, then sheet in both sails and point the boat to a heading just below your new upwind course. As you accelerate, bring the boat to your planned heading.

Most people fail to release the main, and this will hold the boat in the same way a weather vane points to the wind and will resist efforts to move it away from the wind.
Others release the jib too early and it becomes ineffective in pulling the boat through the turn.

In the capsize case, I believe you were sailing downwind and did a gybe (turning downwind) This can indeed force the bow down and cause the cat to trip.
To gybe safely, you bring the sail back to near center while turning downwind and let it smoothly transition to the other side with no drama. When you are ready, you turn the boat back toward the wind to accelerate.

Todd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a lor Todd. I'll browse the forum for more details but your reply was very useful indeed.
Re the capsize I don't believe we gybe dad we were clearly turning into the wind. I still had the impression the hull submerged during he turn. Can it be the speed is enough(too much) to simply roll the boat over if you "steer to quickly" if you allow me the parallel with a car in a highway so to speak? During tack I also release job instead of mainsail . Is there a difference in doing that instead vice verse?

Many thanks again
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you blow the tack in a strong wind and end up in chains you can either do a 3 point turn (while you are drifting backwards, temporarily pull the tiller toward you so the rudders will help turn the boat in the right direction) or start sailing forward again under your previous heading and pick up some speed before trying the tack again.

Also, when doing a gybe, I usually throw the tiller behind the boat onto the water (and hold the tiller crossbar with either my hand or foot for a smooth turn) so that the main traveler car can slide across and then retrieve the tiller after the gybe. If during an unintentional gybe and you are still holding the tiller, the main's traveler car/sheet/blocks may not be able to properly slide over (since they get stopped by the tiller) and you will probably end up capsizing.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Thu May 13, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thanks Tim, all useful tips indeed. I had wind from port side, I pushed the tiller pretty roughly up to the end as as I said we failed two previous attempts. while slowing down and starting turning basically we capsized. I m wondering if the speed itslef and if you like the inertia (plus the wind of course) of the main could have capsized the boat. should I have push the tiller more slowly/carefully. the thing happened very very quickly as you can imagine. I also didnt release the main, but the jib, so viceversa of what is suggested here. so releasing the main helps turning the boat... but if the jib needs to stay shouldnt the main also stay to obtain the same effect? (weathervane) ?
many thanks for your help
s

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you were on a reach doing 15 knots, both you and the crew should have been on the same side and towards the stern. Weight balance is very important and might be the reason you went over.

To come about while on a reach, you first need to come up to a close hauled course. As you turn up from the reach, you probably will tighten the jib and main. To depower, slack off the main as necessary. At that point start the turn but don't push the tiller over too far or it will slow the boat down. Slack off the main about 6" to 1' but keep the jib tight. As the bows pass through the wind, the jib will fill on the other side and will push the bows over. That is when you and the crew need to move to the other side. When the main snaps over with the wind on the other side, straighten the rudder and let the jib go. Pull the jib in on the other side and set your course and adjust the sails. If you lose momentum and end up caught in irons (weathervaning) reverse the rudder. As the boat is blown backward, the rudder will turn the boat so the jib can catch the wind and complete the tack.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another thing you can do to help the boat turn during a tack, is to pump the rudders. You can do this when your main is weathervaning and you haven't quite rotated the boat enough to get the jib to backwind. While you are still on the windward side, slowly pull the tiller toward you a lot and then quickly push it out all the way. Repeat this a few times and it should help you rotate the boat more (this only works if the boat has not started drifting backwards, in that case just pull the tiller over as Howard posted).

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thanks indeed for the tips. I understand from the kind replies we capsized most likely because we were too much towards the bow (that's for sure) and I pushed the tillers far too quickly slowing the boat too much..
Thanks again