Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wet/Dry suits
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi guys,
Was wondering if there are any other "big" sailors out there that could recommend a suit for me. I'm 320 lbs, and live in a cold climate with a short sailing season. Don't know what to look for, or what to avoid. Any input would be appreciated.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To truley be comfortable you should probably have on custom made. Make sure they know what you do so they can give you flexability in the right places. If you are looking for a drysuit, check this place out. They were recomended to me by a friend but I have not called them as of yet.

http://www.kayakacademy.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Jack, I will check them out online and maybe give a call tomorrow. I am still curious though as to how many guys there are my size that sail (Hobie's) I'd appreciate hearing back on this topic from all the big guys.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking for a wet suit for a woman. I am medium build, but look like the Michelin man in neoprene, and can hardly move. :oops: I could extend my sailing times by two to three months in Michigan with something to keep me warm in the event of a capsize. Any ideas, ladies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

See the above link. They can custom make a wetsuit for you. I am sure there are plenty of dive shops around that do the same. Remember there is a difference between a male and female wetsuit although unisex's do exist, they are a compromise between the two.

Post subject: cold
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you want to sail year round, get a drysuit. I have a Gill front zip, and it works great. Kokatat also makes a very good drysuit as well. You can wear multiple layers under a drysuit (like fleece, or capilene, or whatever; not cotton!) to suit the conditions. I wear shorts and a rashguard under my drysuit for those early spring days or fall sailing adventures. When winter rolls around, I break out a fleece layer or a thermal shirt to keep me warm. I've been sailing in water so cold that the mainsheet froze in place, and every time we pulled the spinnaker up, it looked like it was snowing. A drysuit is the most versatile, though more expensive, choice for cold weather sailing. You won't regret it!

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject: Built in booties...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

One of the best features I've ever had in a dry suit is the built in "footies or booties" - you still wear boots/shoes over them but you will be able to wear warm comfy socks!

CJS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave,
I'm not sure exactly what you'd consider big but I think I may fit the description. I'm about 240 and 6'4''. I love the Hobie. I just got a wetsuit for Christmas. I got the Ronstan full steamer. I've put it on a few times and I think I may be on the upper end of factory made suits based on a standard sizing scale, or at least that was what I was told. I got the xxl and it fits really snug. The only discomfot is in the back, I wish there was about another inch of material to accomodate the type of bending at the waist that is always happening on a Hobie. A lot of my length comes from my midsection, to bad wetsuits don't come in tall sizes. There's a lot to be said about being "average" when it comes to clothing. But otherwise it seems to fit pretty nicely. Eventually I would like to look into getting a dry suit. I just couldn't cough up that much dough right now. Hope this helped some.
James