Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife and I are looking to purchase a used sailboat. I also have two young boys that want to get out when they can with us on the boat, but most of the time it'll be me solo, or me with her...the boys are still pretty young at 8 and 10.

I was wondering what the difficulty levels in setup are between these two boats. Both are pretty hard to find used. I will setup and sail most of the time with my wife or solo..she's 5'1" and under 100# so she's not much help muscle wise. I know righting the getaway can be pretty tough.

If I have to be limited on something it's performance. I am mainly going after a cat because I need a shallow draft. Flying a hull and doing all that stuff sounds fun but it is not my primary reason for looking at these boats. I appreciate any advice you may have.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Since used decent Waves are $ 2500 - $4000 and Getaways are around $4000- $7000 ish theres a decent budget gap. Waves can handle 4 people, 4-6 on a getaway if adult/kid mix. If kids are sporty a Hobie 16 whole fam to start ( $1500-$2000 ready to go ) then add a getaway later and let the kids have the 16 8)

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If the thing you can afford to compromise on is performance, get a Wave. Easy to set up and sail single handed. I've sailed with three adults and it wasn't bad. The main problem is the cost and availability of used Waves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Look on searchtempest.com.
There's a bunch of waves for sale but they're spread over a 2000 mile area and the prices aren't great. Best bet I'd think is to contact local Hobie sailors and/or a dealer near you to help search

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found a used getaway for about half that. And I found a used wave for 3500. The wave is in perfect shape and has a bunch of new parts. The getaway needs a few things before it'd be good to go...it hasn't been sailed in awhile. They're both about 6 hours drive away.

I found two used H16s, both mid 80s boats and they're 1500 and 1900 respectively. My only reservation with the H16 is the smaller tramp (comparatively), and that I am a new sailer. It is always howling here..usually 20-35 mph ALL THE TIME.

The getaway looks very heavy and it is a good ways from where the water starts to where the boat would float. The sand is hard so I think cat trax would help. It also looks comfortable. The extra room looks great and this one has wings so that's even better.

Basically the size and weight of the Wave win me, but the versatility of the getaway would be really appreciated.

To my knowledge nearest Hobie dealer is in Austin and that's about 5-6 hours away.

Any advice?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Get a Hobie 16 and be done with it.

You simply can't get more boat for the buck, and the smaller tramp may look like a dealbraker from the outside, but once you plant your bum on it, you'll see that it's just THE RIGHT SIZE.

There is a reason, why more than 100k of these catamarans have sold: they are easy to rig and sail without ever getting boring. You can rig them alone, sail them alone and you can right them all alone after capsizing. It's the quintessential family-and-fun catamaran - and you can grab a good one at 2000 bucks or less.

When I grew out of the HC16 (6'5" and 270 lbs today) and got myself a bigger boat, I always missed the simplicity and "easy going" of the HC16. Fast and fun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gdbyrd wrote:
It is always howling here..usually 20-35 mph ALL THE TIME.

I think that is too much wind.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have loosely planned to look at two H16s this weekend. Both are early 80s and asking price is around 1.5-2k.

Any advice on what I should look for? Also going to look at a Montgomery 17...they draft 20" but they look so good!

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gdbyrd wrote:
Any advice?

Post your location (in your profile) so we can hopefully hook you up with experienced catsailors near you. Then maybe you can see (even ride on) some different boats and get some one on one help BEFORE you buy. That's my advice.

I can't tell you the number of people who've made regretful purchases before they showed up at our club.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never sailed either Wave or 16. But my first cat has been a Getaway and I don't regret it. I sail in typical winds as you are looking at. Here in Carquinez (outside San Francisco) it is blowing hard all summer. If you plan on sailing single handed in the 20+ kt wind range, you will need a reef point no matter which of the three you choose. And I don't think any of the boats come with reef points standard. You might prefer either Wave or Getaway than 16 for family safety reasons since there is no boom (booms are one of the things that can severely injure people while sailing).

As far as set up difficulty which is what you originally asked...the trampolines on the Getaway are difficult to install if you are going to set up and take down each time you want to go out (I use a trailer, so I only had to do it once or twice---I wouldn't have kept the boat if I had had to do that each time out). The mast is able to be raised alone by strong people...I bought the stepper from Hobie and happy I did since I was unable to lift it myself alone (yah, I'm an old fat 66 year old). You really need two people to set up the Getaway (you can watch a video of the setup on YouTube). There might be similar video on the other two boats.

The good thing about the Getaway is the large amount of real estate for people and stuff. It has adequate performance--top speed I've seen is around 13 sustained to weather and about the same sustained downwind. Reaching is obviously the best point of sail for any multihull and that when you will either want wings or a trapeze (I like the wings since I don't like getting wet and am not athletic enough to consider "hanging out"). But the wings add to complexity of setup.

The Getaway is stable with two aboard (400+ pound) in up to 30 kt winds using wing seats alone.

Personally, I am more familiar with trimarans since the Getaway is my first cat. In my opinion, you should also consider looking at Windrider 17s or Weta for the wind strengths you are considering--especially with young children. Tris are more easily kept on their feet. Weta has better performance than any of the cats you are considering; the Windrider is probably closer to the Wave. Of course, you will have just as hard of a problem trying to find any of them second-hand in your price range.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I 2nd much of what Thom says about the Getaway. I have 4 kids under 10 and they all love it. I also bought the mast stepper for it and I can set the boat up all by myself while The Admiral wrangles the kids.

I had my first ride on a 16 2 weeks ago and was glad I went for the Getaway since there is SO MUCH real estate. I felt so cramped on the 16 and never really knew where to sit.

I agree with rattle 'n hum as well: Look for a club in your area and give them all a try before you buy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've sailed 16s for 25 years and there is no way on earth I would recommend one for your application. Overpowered, not enough space, can't carry enough weight. With a load, tacking in heavy air becomes very difficult. Your kids are plenty old enough to be out with you now, and they will be getting heavier quickly.

I do love 16s but I know their limitations and I have pretty much decided to move to a Getaway for family sailing. I will either keep the 16 for go-fast sailing with able-bodied friends or move to something even higher performance if I can justify it.

I don't know the Wave well at all so I can't say if it would work, but the Getaway really seems like the perfect family boat to me. Setup can't be harder than a 16, and I'm not sure where the mention of installing the tramp comes from unless there are people who have to completely disassemble their boats each day. I've never met one; Trailering is pretty standard.

There's a great YouTube of a family on a Getaway that has been mentioned here several times.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am just a bit worried about how all these things fit together:

- Flying a hull and doing all that stuff sounds fun but it is not my primary reason for looking at these boats.
- I am a new sailer.
- It is always howling here..usually 20-35 mph ALL THE TIME.

I am new myself and I feel like those wind speeds are more suited to experienced people who want an exciting ride and don't mind capsizing, not a family day out. Maybe I'm too old :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree leecea, novices purchase catamarans all the time but many of those boats see water once or twice and never again. Novices who buy catamarans and who sail in big wind will get into trouble quickly and probably never sail again. That's why I recommended a trimaran which is more forgiving but still fun. But wait, he was also looking at a monohull (montgomery 17) which he said "looked so good". SO, maybe he is more of a monohull kinda guy.

No matter what, though, I hope he gets sails with reef points for that kind of wind. It is very difficult to tack in that windspeed no matter which of these boats you are talking about-especially for a novice. I ain't a novice and I still have trouble tacking the Getaway when the wind is big. It's funny, the Weta handles like a bicycle; Windrider 17 also tacks well, but Getaway and my Triak are problematic in tacks--and, of course, those are the two I own ;(

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm up for learning, but I need a direction to look. The getaway I was interested in is just too far to be realistic : / I can't say I am a catamaran or monohull guy because I have not had enough experience with either. The wind is strong here, that much is for sure. I do like the Monty because there is a small cabin...but going 5-7 knots and being limited on exploration due to keel would get old fast. I ended up not looking at the H16s...Had some sick kiddoes this week so we stayed home. I'll keep my head to the ground but for right now I think finding a perfect boat isn't going to happen. Compromises will have to be made somewhere.

I'm in Harlingen, Tx. About 45 minutes from South Padre Island, Tx...Port Isabel, Tx.