Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was wondering if anyone could recomend something that will get masking tape residue off hulls. I have just recently done a delam repair and some of the epoxy/tape has left a mess on my decks. I had originally planned on using goop-off but it doesn't seem like that is the best thing for the job based on the warnings of use with fiberglass. I'm new to working on boats and am learning as I go. Would acetone be suitable for this kind of thing? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup,

Acetone will do the trick. Let it sit for a little bit and then rub lightly with circular motion. It "should" ball up and stick to your cloth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

3M makes an adhesive remover that ROCKS! p/n 08984. Available at a lot of non-big-box hardware stores.

I use it at work and here at the house.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks ya'll. I appreciate the quick respsonse. I'll pick some up today.
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2nd the 3M adhesive remover, great stuff. I use it to clean wax off my surfboards as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:28 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I highly recommend the 3M stuff, too - although I think they've changed the formula.

The stuff I have is in a red/white can and is xylene / MEK based (I think, based on the smell - aromatic hydrocarbons for sure).

The newer stuff is in a black can and is citrus based.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oops! works good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not that I don't love the smell of xylene in the morning, but here is a hydrocarbon and caricinogen free way to clean up sticky residue that is not linked to liver cancer:
From a column called "Hints from Heloise"- one of those handy little columns that had like 101 uses for coffee grounds and used tea bags :lol: But this does work:
Cooking oil will remove masking tape and "sticker" residue from furniture, glass, etc. (like when you buy a new picture frame and the sticker is right in the middle of the glass) Don't know why it works, but it definitely dissolves the stickum - and then you follow up with a little windex or orange clean to remove the oily residue. If you want 3M to get into the act, a Scotch-Brite pad or 000 steel wool helps expedite the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just to follow up. I ended up just using a palm sander with some 80 grit sandpaper to get the residue off. It worked great. This was after I tried rubbing alcohol, acetone, and I even tried the cooking oil. All to no avail. I didn't get a chance to try the 3m stuff, but considering it is from the some company that makes the masking tape I'm sure it would probably work. I think my main problem was alowing the epoxy to cure while the masking tape was still on the hulls. I later did a another delam repair and immediately took the masking tape off while the epoxy was still gummy and it all came right off, no problem, no residue.
James