Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This morning was bright and sunny, and warmer than earlier in the week when the temperatures dropped down to minus 30 Celcius. Anyhows, at brunch, my H18 buddies and I were trying to figure out how to launch our mighty vessels once things warmed up, especially as Mr. J. has had one back operation, and Mr. P. is on cortisone for his 3 slipped discs. My discs are ready to pop out anytime I lift anything more than 50 lbs, especially if I twist or lean forward.

Yeah, our average age is a young 62, but we won't give up our sailing! Any ideas, anyone?

Our best plan was to build a twinned rope ladder from plumbing or electrical conduit pipe, and drag the Hobies down to the water. I came across this idea from something that a H21 sailor put together. This is instead of lifting them onto the cat trax and wheeling them the 30 something feet to the shallows where we rig before heading off on our adventures.

Another plan was to leave the cat trax under the boat, put tyres under the stern. I say, only if the cat trax have cradles. Any opinions?

The best alternative of the morning was to bring oat soda's to the club, and bribe younger and stronger members to do the lifting for us. If only oat soda's worked. Too many want rides, which may not be such a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What if you build a simple tripod, say out of bamboo using simple lashings. Connect a pully system to the apex of the tripod. Tie off to the forestay,run the line through the pully, and then back through the forestay to give you a mechanical advantage to lift the bows up enough to get a pair of trax underneath. This is just an off the head idea, I've never tried it . It seems possible, it would substitute lifting for pulling.
James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Lunn C A wrote:
Our best plan was to build a twinned rope ladder from plumbing or electrical conduit pipe, and drag the Hobies down to the water.

I built a set of ladders out of PVC pipe about 2' long tied with figure 8 knots on either side of the pipes spaced 2' apart. I have only tried these once and they did not work so well because they would not stay in place as you slid the boat up or down them. I am going to be trying other things this season and will post results if they are worth posting.

Other members of the fleet make 2 rectangles about 2.5' wide by 5' long one for each hull. These work really well. I would use 2.5" rather than the smaller stuff.

I just thought the rope ladder idea would be eaiser to store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have a suggestion for the boat lifting directly. BUT I had the same back issues you fellows seem to be going through and I found the fix (though a lot of work it was well worth it as I can once again do almost everything I could before I slipped my disk) was to follow the method described in the book by Robin McKenzie called Treat Your Own Back (ISBN: 0959774661). My sailing (and otheractivities) are much more enjoyable because if this book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt Miller once made a PVC pipe roller that was attached to a stip of tramp material. No need to lift much if any, but once the boat is sliding down hill, look out. My other question though is how do you plan to pull the boats up? Electric wench with the same PVC roller system?

By the way, one guy at our club had problems pulling the boat onto his trailer bunks that were covered in carpet. He was shown a powerboat bunk lube that made the boat slide like it was on ice. Maybe carpet slides and this lube. If you need a product name, I will ask next weekend. I think west marine sold it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,
I use a technique that may help. I place the wheels at the back of the trailer with the cradles up and pull the boat back. It will come quite a ways before the weight gets bad. As it gets heavy let it drop onto the wheels and continue back. Typically its nose heavy on the wheels but manageable. To get it back on its wheels after sailing, put the wheels in front of the bows. My rope is long enough to allow me to grab the side stay with one hand and the line with the other. Sometimes the wheels will just pull under the bows, other times it takes some lifting of the bows. Once under drop the rope and roll the wheels under with your foot, side to side until the boat is balanced and roll to the trailer. I load on the trailer straight off the wheels. My new electric winch will pull the boat on completely, tie it down, drop the mast and away we go. Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to launch at a beach that was fairly steep. Bringing the boat down to the water on the Trax was easy as all I had to do was balance the boat on the Trax and steer. It was the bringing it back up the beach that was awful. It could be done with two people, lots of grunting, and lots of time. Not my first choice after a full day on the water. So, I thought of a way to mimick the balance and steer of bring the boat down to the water. Cradles on the Trax will make this much easier.

First attach a bridle to the Trax with a loop at the center of the bridle (similar to the bridle on the bows of the boat). Make it long enough so you have easy access to the loop when the boat is on the Trax. Take a 4"x4"x3' piece of lumber. On one end drive a LARGE nail (or other stake like object) into it. If using a nail remove the head and sharpen. Next, attach two guy wires to the opposite end of the lumber. Both should be on the same face. The wires should have loops in the end so they can be staked into the ground. The lumber should be at no less than 30 deg from vertical when it and the guy wires are staked in the ground.

On the face opposite of the wires attach a winch. I like the small ATV winches with the remote control. Attach the winch cable to the Trax bridle.

With the boat on the Trax and balanced such that very little "tongue" weight is apparent, stand at one of the bows or sterns, and use the remote control to operate the winch. All you have to do is steer the boat.

When you are finished, pack up the winch assembly and put it in your trunk.

you could also use a winch attached to your mast stand on your trailer. This way you can use the winch for raising your mast too.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shortly after I first got my boat, my back started bothering me so bad I thought I was going to have to sell it. Instead, I named it after my condition. Actually, sailing seemed to help my condoition so I really don't know what to tell any of you.

Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

David:

When I hurt my back in car wreck a long time ago, I did a lot of seated rows in the gym. Stayed at low weight and work my way up. Before I would get times when I couldn't turn around, but the stretching really helped in loosening the muscles and the pain.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Doug,

Thanks for the info. Actually, I do have a workout routine but it never included seated rowing. I first developed my condition doing long distance biking (Bicycle). I've started to include pull-downs (after I started sailing) to help with my getting out on the wire. Have done nothing for my back except stretching (on the floor) and taking an Advil before launching my boat, whether I need it or not. :? Anyway, it's doing better but I'm still gonna try the seated rows on my next visit to the gym. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Happy Sailing,

David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dave,
Nice looking boat! I've been thinking of installing Vision windows in my sails. Were your sails' windows original or a retrofit? Any ideas, advice or recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

By the way I sail an older H-16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Chas,

Thanks for the compliment. Neither the sails nor the windows are original. The boat came with sunrise sails but I had already had a vision of the white ones. The boat is an "85" but the white sails (they are Hobie Sails) came from an older boat. They were in great shape and I subsequently had them retrofitted with the (panoramic) windows. Sailing solo most of the time, they really help, especially with the mast raked and/or the boat heeling. I would recommend them to anyone.

Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That is a beautiful boat, David. And I love the name !!!

Loren

Post subject: Who did the sails?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi David,
Did you install the windows yourself or have a sailmaker do them?
Do you have recommendations on who to go to? And what to do or not do when windows are installed?

By the way, that is a great name!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Loren,

Thanks for the compliments. Although I'd like to take credit for it but the name of the boat was not my idea. A neighbor was teasing me about having the boat for so long and not having sailed it. He knew about my back and jokingly said, "why don't you name your boat Siatica?" A light went off in my head and at that point, I could just see the boat completely. I wanted to put the wording vertically on the sails but the machine my banner maker friend used to do the lettering wouldn't make the lettering large enough.

Know that I've only been sailing for three years so everything has been an ongoing process, trial and error.

Happy Sailing

David