Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also Gree,
this is very funny. I was just browsing around ebay and saw some sails, and then I looked at the buyer and saw it was you.
How ironic!!

Anyways, how are you shipping it? I actually just sold my extra set of sails on ebay earlier this week and am still trying to find shipping. Only thing I can find is freight stuff (for $120ish).
I'm trying to ship the main+jib+boom+battens
USPS doesnt accept it, nor does ups but fedex will take it, but $250 shipping for that lol

If you could please let me know how you're shipping it, that'd be great.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I shipped another set of sails a while back and did it through, that new shipping company....DLS, or what ever they are called. It isn't that easy to get them packaged but it can be done. I think the shipping last time was around 40 dollars.

The Nacra looks nice, do you know what year it is? Mine is a 81 so it doesn't have the foam core, just fiberglass, which surprisingly it is lighter than the foam cored ones. I like it because i don't have to panic about water and delam. I think in 84 is when they switched to the new style so yours might be the old style.

Hobie designed the 16 for the surf, and he did a good job, granted the bananna shaped hulls do allow for rocking while the Nacras will not as much but the Nacra hulls get caught by waves and turned. It just makes for more work with the tiller in waves. I know because i just got back from Corpus Christi where a friend and I sailed 140mile between Corpus and Port Lavaca and every day there were small craft advisories. We dealt with some 7-8 foot waves one day, that was to much! But most of the time it was 4 foot waves which the Nacra handled well.

I would say that you could rig a spin on the Nacra, probably the H16 spin would work, that is kinda what my plan is for the 5.2. Also Whirlwind sails make a really nice square top main for the 5.0 which would add some speed.

If you are racing in open races then either boat will be fun, but if you want alot of other boats like yours the 16 is the boat. But if you want to make your friends feel slow go with the Nacra.

It was funny when i bought my nacra, my friends on their 16's smoked me at first because i didn't know how to sail the Nacra but now that I have been spending some time on the boat i am getting where I lead most of the time. They can beat me on a reach but upwind I leave them in the dust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

did you mean DHL for the shipping?

For me its coming out to be about 85+ dollars to ship a 108x8x8 40 pound package

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

still waiting to hear from ya :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, it was DHL, I just looked it up on UPS and it said around $50 dollars.