Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: nacra 5.0 length?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm thinking of getting a nacra 5.0 as my next boat, coming from a hobie 16 as my previous boat.
What do yall think?
Also, does anyone know how long a nacra 5.0 is, not including the rudders?
thanks

Post subject: Metric...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

I believe it is Metric... 5.0 is 5 meters.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

5 meters = 16.4 feet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The should be about the same exact length as the Hobie 16, I think my Nacra 5.2 is around 17 feet so since the Hobie 16 is 16'8 the Nacra 5.0 should be around the same as the 16.

Watch out some people might give you a hard time for bringing up another companies boat on here. You should enjoy the Nacra, I know mine is a blast but can be a bit of a handful solo, but mine is a little bigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go ask em on the Performance Cats forum... :D

How's that for a hard time Gree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I expected worse.... I am really just messing around, I know most of the guys on here don't care but when I first asked about my 5.2 I caught some flack. Enough to make me hang onto my old 14.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No Flack dude, just a little jab. :oops:

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't go anywhere without catching something, if i go over there I get crap about sailing a 14 because it isn't a nice as some others and i rarely manage to keep her upright. Then I come here and talk about the Nacra and I get given a hard time. Next I am going to buy a Mac 26 with a big 50hp motor behind it so I can be given crap at sailing anarchy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hmm well right now I still have my hobie 16. It fits perfectly in the garage, with trailer and all.
I was thinking of trading it in for a Nacra but it'd need to fit inside my gargage ;)
So, yall think I should be safe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DavidBell47 wrote:
5 meters = 16.4 feet

If Nacra measures their boats accurately then the 5.0 is slightly shorter than a Hobie 16, which measures 16' 7".

Why do you want to trade boats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There were a few really in depth discussions over at catsailor.com debating which of these two boats was better. In the end it was settled that both are great boats and it depends on what you are doing.

The 16 is probably a little tougher but doesn't have quite the same speed. Neither of them have dagger boards so both will have to rely on their speed rather than their pointing ability for upwind work. The 16 is better if you want to start racing because there are so many and parts are cheap. Also you will have a much larger support group with the 16 because of this website and the thousands of 16 sailors. The 5.0 is a little more modern design and less likely to pitchpoll but it is still possible. It uses skegs rather than asymetrical hulls to prevent slipping so it will be slightly easier to tack. The 5.0 will have a very different feel in the water because the hulls are shaped so much differently, it will cut waves more than ride up over them.

That is really about the best comparision I can give of the two based on the discussions I have heard. I have never been a 5.0 but have spent some time on 16's and I have a 5.2 which is the big brother of the 5.0 so I can say that no matter what boat you have you will have a blast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Gree,
my main reason for wanting to switch to a Nacra is because it cuts through waves much better. I just don't really trust my H16 when I'm sailing in surf rather than bay... should I not keep working about it?
Also, I just worry the hulls can't take the pounding given by the water that a nacra can.
And finally, I've raced it a few times in regattas in the bay, I think I want a Nacra just because it's a much faster, and more fun boat :)
Also, I don't like how the H16 has a lifted trampoline rather han a trampoline that's directly on the Hulls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also Gree,
how long is your 5.2 not including the length of the rudders? How long is your trailer?
I have an 18 1/2 foot garage that I fit my H16 with trailer in, and would like to fit my next boat in there as well, weither it's a 5.0 or 5.2 etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Without the rudders the boat is 17 feet almost exactly, but the trailor sticks out farther than that on the front. I am not at home, I am at the girlfriends house right now so I can't measure the whole thingI could not see sqeezing the 5.2 into a garage. I have the space but it would ruin my beer pong table area and the couch with a big screen I have in my garage under the 14.

The Nacra will cut the waves better but it will also have trouble with them, I kinda hate to say it but the 16 is probably one of the best surf boats around. But if she is soft at all then get out now, because the bows can snap right off in bad conditions. The tramp is raised on the Hobie for a reason, it gets you away from the water. I get the tramp slapped all the time by big waves on the Nacra while my friends are dry on their raised 16's. If you don't mind being wet, it isn't a big deal but it can slow you down in really bad chop.

One thing you have not talked about is the condition of either boat, is your 16 a beauty or a.... hidden beauty or is she just plain ugly. Also if the Nacra is in worse shape then it might be better to stick with the Hobie.

I just wrote you on catsailor.com, I wasn't sure if it was you or not, but there are some more great guys over there who will give some good info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

yup its me. You really think the hobie is a better surf boat?

I'd consider my hobie a beauty. The hulls are all rock hard except for a very slight minor soft spot infront of the pylon on the port hull, which i may try to fix up tomorrow.
I just don't like the fact that on hobies (or mine atleast) the hulls rock ever so slightly if you sit and stare at them when sailing (from waves). I think it's natural?
I just feel the Nacras hulls are much stronger and can take ALOT more hits from waves than the hobie hulls?

Also, I do plan to race the Nacra. I've raced my hobie in a regatta before as well.
Is it possible to run a spin on a 5.0?

Also, I havent picked a 5.0 yet for sure, one I saw the other day is http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/301622664.html
What do you think about it? I plan to go check it out next week hopefully.
I was looking to spend ~$2000 but that one is pretty cheap. I talked to the guy, only repair is one of the spreader bars is broken

Also, my boat has lots of cool customizations from the previous owner. Even the tramp is custom, it doesnt go into the tramp frame like most hobies, it's very unique and I like it alot more, and also doesn't have the split in the middle.