Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I have wrong sails !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a Hobie 14. He included 2 main sails and a jib. The Jib and main sail are too big, I estimate they are for a Hobie 18 with the following dimensions: 25' 6" x 12' 4" and the jib is 15' x 7' These are yellow and in excellent condition. The correct mainsail that he included has several rips in it but is the correct size.

How can I determine what boat these sails belong to so that I can hopefully sell them and replace or repair my main sail.

This is my first boat to purchase and I'm already in over my head. I am in NW Indiana. Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I would gladly trade them or sell them for the correct sail.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, if they’re Hobie sails, then the mainsail should have a “flying H” insignia with a number in a circle below it. The number indicates the boat size.

Off the top of my head, neither of these sound like Hobie 18 sails. The foot lengths seem too long. I believe the foot length on a Hobie 18 is somewhere around 9 feet. Definitely not 12’-4”. Do the main sails have full length battens? From the dimensions you provided, these sound more like monohull sails.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That bites! Did the seller represent the larger sails as fitting the H14, or did he just throw them in with the deal?. If the former, he should take 'em back/reimburse you. If nothing else, I'd voice my extreme displeasure (like a sailor!).

Any insignia, manufacturer info, etc. on the sails? Pix might help identify.

Sounds like you really need help from someone with more Hobie experience. Contact your nearest Hobie fleet: http://hcana.hobieclass.com/hobie-fleets/ Even if they aren't real close to you, they may know someone who is.

You say that the jib is too big....did you step the mast and otherwise set up the boat to determine this? If so, how did the mast connect to the bridle? Trying to determine if you purchased a "regular" H14 or a H14 Turbo. The stock H14 does not carry a jib, so it should have a simple forestay/bridle arrangement, and it should not have a swivel (above sail), furler (below sail), dolphin striker, or jib cleats on the tramp. The H14 Turbo should have all four of these plus a roller furling jib with a wire in the luff that acts as the forestay.

I have an old set of sails for the H14 Turbo. They are so worn that they'll probably explode in much wind at all. The main fits both the regular and Turbo models. The jib is only useful if you have a Turbo, and, even if the sail explodes, its luff wire is still useful to hold the mast up (to sail the boat under main only). Once you figure out what you do and don't have, if you really want these old sails, send me a PM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

AlanRV8 that used to post here lives in Highland, maybe you can find him. He could help. It's still a little early, but some catsailors may still hang out a Lake Street Beach in Gary.