Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 14 or 17 ?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

Just looking for advise and opinions on the hobie 14 and 17.
I got tired of repeatedly struggling to find a crew for an H18, so I've been thinking about getting a cat that can be easily single handed.

Could anyone provide me with answers to any the following questions :

- Which boat is faster ?
- Which boat is more maneuverable ?
- Which boat does better in waves ?
- Which boat is easier to right from a capsize ?
- which boat is easier to depower ?

Any information is helpful, as well as any other opinions on either boat.
Thanks,

--
Oliver

Post subject: Re: Hobie 14 or 17 ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

- Which boat is faster ?
17, in all conditions and on all points of sail. It is larger, has more sail area, and a more efficient hull and sail design.

- Which boat is more maneuverable ?
17 has centerboards, more weight, and a more efficient hull design, so easier to tack. It is also easier to get going after a tack (less likely to round up or stall). This is what I assume you mean by manuverability. Neither boat will turn like a monohull.

- Which boat does better in waves ?
Breaking waves (surf launching), or just bay/lake chop? Breaking waves may go to the 14 due to the simplicity of the design (no centerboards to deal with) and the extreme curvature of the hulls. But having more power is generally what you want in waves, so the 17 is probably still better. The greater bouyancy of the 17 hull makes pearling less likely as well.

- Which boat is easier to right from a capsize ?
14. Less weight and shorter mast length makes bringing it up easier.

- which boat is easier to depower ?
Both boats have the same depowering controls (mainsheet, traveler, downhaul, and rotator), so they are basically equal in their ability to be depowered. The 14 has less power to begin with, but also has much less hull volume so pitchpoling or going over backwards is more likely. I would say the 17 is less prone to capsizing in most conditions.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank-you for the information,
I noticed that there were only 5,000 H17s built and hobie discontinued them in 2004. The H14 is still being made today and there are over 70,000 built. I'm starting to lean towards the H14, because they are more durable and more reactive to weight placement. I'm also worried about becoming overpowered and not being able to right a H17 on my own, as I am below the minimum crew weight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure where you got your 70,000 number from, but my guess would be that it’s a bit on the high side. It is true that the 14 is still being made today, but the 17 more or less killed the 14 sales when it was introduced in the mid-1980’s (at least in the US). The 14 was discontinued by Hobie USA in the mid-1990’s and has only recently (within the last 10 years or so) seen something of a resurgence. The boats that are being made today are only manufactured in Europe.

Both boats have their merits. For smaller sized people, the 14 is worth considering. When looking at used 14’s in particular, you need to keep in mind that the boats have been in existance for the past 50 years and some of them are absolutely worthless and should be avoided like the plague. The older boats are quite susceptible to developing soft spots in the hulls.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
Not test link sure where you got your 70,000 number from, but my guess would be that it’s a bit on the high side. It is true that the 14 is still being made today, but the 17 more or less killed the 14 sales when it was introduced in the mid-1980’s (at least in the US). The 14 was discontinued by Hobie USA in the mid-1990’s and has only recently (within the last 10 years or so) seen something of a resurgence. The boats that are being made today are only manufactured in Europe.

Both boats have their merits. For smaller sized people, the 14 is worth considering. When looking at used 14’s in particular, you need to keep in mind that the boats have been in existance for the past 50 years and some of them are absolutely worthless and should be avoided like the plague. The older boats are quite susceptible to developing soft spots in the hulls.

sm

Very interesting. What do you think made the 14 more popular again lately?

Last edited by Ohlinger on Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not entirely sure, but my guess is that the 14 is much easier to launch on your own, because you can beach it. I read online that the spring loaded centerboards on the 17 often get clogged if you pull them up on the sand.
The H17 also requires much more maintenance and it is hard to right from a capsize by yourself.

--
Oliver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How big are you? I owned 2 Hobie 17s, and at 200 pounds, I could easily right them.
I loved my 17s, but needed a bigger boat as the kids grew. I finally ended up with a Getaway, which I often solo sail with no problems.

The 17s are prone to wing socket cracking and centerboard trunk cracking. I bought a used one, 5 years after selling the one I bought new (and suffered seller's remorse after selling it!). The used 17 leaked a ton of water, and felt loose somehow. I was never happy with it. I patched a bad crack in the centerboard trunk, and got rid of the worst of the leakage. So whichever boat you get, check it out thoroughly. And don't trust seller claims, my seller said the boat had new shrouds, but one broke the 3rd time out!

Oh, and trapping off a wing is a trip! The boat is, in my mind, a bit underpowered. I would sail mine in winds that I reef my Getaway in. Even if you're light, the wings make the boat easy to keep down in wind.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks !
This is very helpful.
I'm about 5"5 and I weigh about 120 pounds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh. No matter what you sail, you'll probably need a righting bag, and maybe a righting stick when you capsize. The 17 would probably be a good fit, since trapping off a wing gives you more leverage.

Too many canoes and kayaks