Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys, I went out sailing a couple of weeks ago with a friend on his catalina, and I really liked it. I decided to get a boat of my own. I figured a hobie cat would be a little more to my liking (going fast, cheaper, don't have to dock).

Well, now comes the fun part...trying to decide on which one to get and trying to find one. I want something fast, but they all seem to be pretty fast. I'm not really interested in racing so much as just going out and having fun (which speed is somewhat of a factor). I would like to take 3 or 4 people out, but could settle with just 2, that'll be fine.

I found a 17' with 2 sets of sails, and 2 sets of wings going for $800. It seems like a really good deal, but I also don't know if it'll fit my needs. As I said, something that will handle 2 people would be fine, but I was reading that this boat might not even do that...opinions? Also, would it be slow because it doesn't have a jib? Would it be a good first boat?

I'm sorry if I'm all over the place with this, just trying to figure it all out.

Thanks,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 17 might work, also that is a good deal if the boat is in good shape. If you want to take that many people out look into a Hobie 18, they are fast and can haul alot of weight.

After reading what you said I would say the 18 would be your best bet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you mean you want to take one person plus yourself, I would seriously look at an H16. Lots of them out there, inexpensive, and almost everyone knows them. They sail great single handed or with on crew (or "figurehead"), they are easy to set up and move around a beach, lots of spare parts for them as well.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In your case, a 16 would be a good beginning boat. It can hold two people easily (three and it gets crowded and don't expect to go as fast), they are inexpensive and plentiful, they are easy to set up and a blast to sail. They don't have daggerboards to wreck and are made to sail onto a beach. And, if you don't like it then you can sell it pretty quickly for roughly the same price you paid for it. If you find it's not enough boat for you, you can sell it for roughly the same price you paid for it, and use the money to buy a bigger, more advanced model.

I love sailing my 18 more than the 16, but the 18 comes with the price of more hassles in rigging and parts. The 16 is rigged in no time. I'm confident sailing the 16 solo, but am still building confidence on sailing the 18 solo (it requires more effort to right than the 16).

The 17 is designed mostly to be sailed solo, but taking two is not unheard of. Also, does the 17 you're looking at have a jib? That's important for tacking the boat, and without it as a beginner you're likely to be frustrated.

For a beginning sailor the 16 is recommended. Click this link for a good primer on buying a cat: http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

Post subject: Good Boat
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't let people tell you a 17 can't handle more than one. I have had one for about 8 years or so. I have put 3 adults and a child and almost flew a hull in good wind. I regularly race with grand daughter. As for tacking uni. you mast crack some sheet loose as you go head to wind. I love the boat, in 15+ it comes alive.

Here are some mods I made. If you have questions, please contact me;

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _album.php

Doug Snell
dsnell4 at houston dot rr dot com[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all your help guys!

I think I've decided to pass on the 17, but I found a 16 that seems like it's a good boat. I've contacted the person and waiting on pics and such.

The seller asked if she thought $1900 was a reasonable asking price. The boat is a 1989 hobie cat with trailer, and supposedly everything is in good shape (like I said...still waiting on pics). I've been seeing boats average closer to 1000, but with a trailer, and considering it's not too old, and it comes with a trailer...I'm thinking 1500 would be a good offer. What do you guys think? I'll let you know more as I find out.

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject: 16?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I reread your first post. 3-4 on a 16 will be on top of one another and real slow. I would either get the 17 or look for a 18.

Just my 2 cents from 27 years of sailing.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yo Homie,

I only paid $700 for my "85" H16 but that was before all the add-ons . . . even though I was too dumb to know I was getting a deal at the time.

If you can find a H16 that includes all the add-ons (like beach wheels, 6:1 main blocks, Aussie halyard, wind indicator, cat box , e.t.c.) for $1900, then get it. If it doesn't have at least some of those add-ons, you're paying too much. These things add up ( beach wheels + $430, 6:1 main blocks = $300, Aussie halyard = $135, e.t.c. = $????) A H16 might not come with beach wheels for $1900 but it should come with some of the other add-ons (things that come standard with the H16s of today). And don't forget the main factor, hull integrity. Say Doug, did I ever tell you that you have a great looking boat? No? Well, "you have a great looking boat." WOW!!!!

David

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

David:
I started in 79 on a 16. Yours looks good too. I work hard on this one. Started as a $600 basket case. Got a STEAL on the Mystere 4.3. Got a 2002 for $2700 with squaretop main, jib and spinnaker setup with galvanized trailer.

Doug

Last edited by DougHobie17 on Wed May 16, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

H16 seems to be a good option. I can tell you from my first experence on my 14 that taking more than 2 out on it will make it a submarine. On the 16 we had 2 full sized adults and 3 kids. It was barely putting but it wasnt doing bad. With three small adults (all of us less than 150lbs) the 16 jet across the lake pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Man I feel real lucky. I picked my '89 up for $850, which included all upgrades - Aussie Halyard, 6:1 Mainsheet, EPO rudders, trailer, tackle box of all sorts of parts, pins, shackles, rivots, etc. No wheels though.

I have been looking for alternatives thoug, but they aren't 100% necessary since I am able to store the boat on the beach. It is hard on the hulls and I cannot haul-out by myself, but there is usually someone around that I can sucker into helping me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lou, We just bought a Hobie 18 this spring for $1,000 with a trailer and it seemed like a fair deal. We have put about $600 into rigging and some add-ons to the trailer so we are into it about $1,600. We have had three people on it comfortably without the wings attached and I think four people would be comfortable too. The magnum wings make it even more roomy & you could probably put more than four, but would be pushing it. It is also fairly easy to single hand so it has quite a range of capacity.

David, I like how your rudders are painted red on the ends. It would be good for trailering too. That is a nice looking boat.

--Tad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:

David, I like how your rudders are painted red on the ends. It would be good for trailering too. That is a nice looking boat.

--Tad

Tad:

DON'T tow with your rudders on no matter what the color. You will beat them to death and KILL any adjustment for helm you have made to them.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Plus, you'll accelerate wear on the gudgeons and put additional strain the the sterns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DougHobie17 wrote:
Quote:

--Tad

Tad:

DON'T tow with your rudders on no matter what the color. You will beat them to death and KILL any adjustment for helm you have made to them.

Doug

I tow with the rudders on but I learned my lesson about keeping them tied down. I dont have adjustable rudders and my commute is 6 miles all under 40mph and no bumpy roads.